Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Scarlor OOC thread

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Scarlor OOC thread

Post by Chris1234 »

@Rivi - How about a holy water version of a flame thrower?
Air pressured, of course, so it's environmentally friendly... :)

@Spike - Query sweep up:
1) Can Dhampirs gain any further Dark Heritage abilities at higher levels, e.g. L9 or L12 ?
2) Two WP to start, correct? And Signature Weapon is one of them? (i.e. not a bonus).
3) The sheet I'm overtyping has "Ambidex" as a Racial ability. Should Karlene have that?
4) Holy symbol is a mask - does that mean Lor's clerics have to wear a mask? Or is it a smaller stylized icon of a mask? (And does it have a preferred colour?)
5) Do you start mages with 4 or 5 spells?
6) Can you sometime calculate how many spellbook pages have been used up by Karlene's initial mage spells?
and a comment: I couldn't find a pic that matched the description so after an hour I game up and made the description match the closest pic. (I needed one that wasn't CHA 18+). I've edited my char sheet post accordingly.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

They have that, holy water sprinkler. It's a mace and the head is a container of holy/unholy water.

1:yes, but I have set it where every dhampir is inherently different from one another. It boils down to who your vampire parent was and how powerful they were, like a master vampire or a thrall who was a newly made one.

Some examples are:

tracking by scent (75%)
sense motive (by scent)
spiderclimb - at will
jump - at 6th level and up dhampir can jump incredibly high without running start
change self - once a day
correct on the 2, plus I will give 1-2 bonus ones based on background which I gave intelligence gathering and etiquette
regenerate: 1-3 hp/round depending
vampiric regeneration (5% chance)
magic resistance to mind/emotion based spells (5%/per level, +2 bonus save vs. mind magic)
poison resistance
ventriloquism
teleport shadow to shadow within 30/ft

5 spells: chromatic orb, magic missile, charm person, grease
they also develop a weakness/vulnerability to fire and take double damage from fire based attacks, fyi at 5th level.
mask: it's an icon, though some wear or paint a tattoo of a mask but it isn't necessary/required.
yes, ambidextrous is a racial ability

since you venerate Lor your first project as an acolyte was to develop and invent a new type of innovative spellbook, you create a rune cube (or a rune stick) with interchangable modular components. When you twist these interlocking parts they form the arcane symbols of your spells. So only 2 pages though the cube can contain up to 35 pages worth (by shifting the moving rubix cube type runes to form spells)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Thanks for the above. I think this one got away:
Chris1234 wrote:...1st Ed PHB cites on p27, col 1, 13th para, "...3.Back stabbing is the striking of a blow from behind, be it with club, dagger or sword...", so I'd ask you to allow it for striking with a staff.
In passing, I recalled reading a question on this in Dragon a long time ago and looked it up:
"From The Dragon #210, 'Sage Advice': Question: Can thieves use their backstab damage multiplier when using a thrown weapon such as a dagger? Answer (Skip Williams): The rules don't say the thief has to use a melee weapon to make a backstab, but I don't recommend that you allow backstabbing with missiles-it makes the ability too easy to use."...[/i]
Further to the above, I thought harder about thief weapons not including a staff. On checking assassin, who can use any weapon, they can Backstab too and inferred with any weapon. So I conclude that it isn't that backstab can't be done with a staff, just that (simple, single class) thieves don't have the time to learn the weapon. A multiclass Cleric/Thief, Mage/Thief or Fighter/Thief does have time to learn to use a staff and therefore could backstab with it.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Yes, I've heard, argued, and back and forthed with many a player, DM, and online where it's a hot topic of debate. It's really the DM's ruling/calling/interpretation of the rules, and also there was a bit of obscurities and 'open to misinerpretation' type rules in 1E.

So let's examine it a bit more in depth here: you want to backstab with a quarterstaff. You're either MS or HS, achieve surprise, but you're too close to your intended target to use the quarterstaff effectively to pierce the back (too close being short sword or arms length vs. full lengthed quarterstaff) which would require more room to achieve backstab. I'd tell you I couldn't do much damage if I was arms length and attempted to thrust a quarterstaff into the small of your back, it might bruise but wouldn't pierce it. This is typically why thieves and assassins employ short sword and dagger for backstabbing,.

If your QS were to have a hidden switchblade at the tail end that would make more sense. Similarly because of the extended reach of a QS it would technically be almost identical to the backstabbing with missile weapons negative, you can do it from AFAR and thus exploit the attack method (e.g. you use the length of the weapon to execute a BS from a more distant position like behind some jail bars, through the dirt, sort of like a two handed spear.

Still not fully convinced of its effectiveness. Granted I'm biased as I've trained with a great deal of weaponry and such. I'll mull it over :) Happy friday!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

So... unarmored people with weapons come out of the swamp/wood and invite us to a festival at their tree-city...
In light of the Luke/Leiah revelation...

Ewoks?!

KILL EM ALL! <Not actually trying to kill them, spike. Don't jump us to combat.>
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Hah, if you see similarities you're looking into it too deeply :) swamp folk are a bit different than little furry carebears :)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

What happened to our 3 rounds of surprise?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

A bit bisy this weekend. Holiday here. Tied up with family stuff. Might get a post in today
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Yeah friday was Canada Day. Back to work for me on Monday! Lol
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Well by 2nd round it was pretty much a moot point and all enemies were thoroughly decimated and fleeing
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Did Nocturno even get an action in?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Got my first shots off.

Was pretty surprised to see the game was unrecognizable after a day away.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Ok. So we are still in the camp with 4 unknown in the trees?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Yes, the unknowns aren't in trees they're on a cliff some 50ft above ground.
Until somebody decides on next steps, yes. Namely Delilah and John. Somebody should opt to be party leader to speak for group.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Ok, I have read through the whole thread, caught up now.

I appreciate a good pace, but it seemed to race ahead there for a bit.

I look forward to unraveling this story.