Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Jerry Greystar (Chris1234)- Private Thread

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Jerry Greystar (Chris1234)- Private Thread

Post by Chris1234 »

"Hey Merrick, how about that then? Would you like me to show you a bit?" Jerry asks deadpan. "It'd help me too, and, you know how much I like it when you help me. Pretty please."

======
OOC: Yes, he can cope with the simple parts. He's a man.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Merrick nods, I must admit, I am a little curious about the process. Very well, I'll help if you teach me some as we go.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

She takes Merrick's arm, "It'll be so much fun wworking with you! Can't wait to get started!"

======
OOC: Not sure what time is is..?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
OOC: Is the work going ahead?
Or did this slip through the cracks?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Yeah the work is going on for the day. Were there other things Jerry wanted to do in town?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Sure, but nailing the spellbook is the priority.
Otherwise it would be shoping for garlic and the like for fending off vamps (but the book'll leave Jerry with little coin.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Thankfully garlic is cheap ;) i think it's like 1cp/ clove
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

wooden stakes, silver (?), holy symbols (She's an Undead Hunterso presumably would know.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Stakes are probably not easy to find in a pre-made format, but a cheap option might be something like cutting a 10 ft pole (2sp) into 5 pieces so call it 4cp each?

Holy symbols are 25 gp

She would know that silver typically has no effect on vampires, unless an unusual variant.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry is able to cast the spell 2.Holy Symbol.
It doesn't mention any material cost, although the phyisical item 9spell component) must be an appropriate shape and of a material appropriate to the environment.
How about wood?
Get someone to carve one copying a sketch (or charcoal rubbing) of hers?
I'd suggest the standard 25gps includes a casting of this spell, so making her own (cating the spell) would mean she can do it for less then 25gps. Perhaps 25% or 50% of the cost.
How does that sound?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I'll say if she uses the spell, the object will cost 10 gp each. The materials are dependent on the diety, so for Mystara I would lean towards noble metals. Silver would probably be simple enough. If she had stronger ties to nature (like Mielikki) wood might be appropriate. But silver is fairly easy to work.

One caveat from the spell description is that she can only make them for her diety. And she would know from her training/ research that for it to be effective against a vampire, the person using it must have conviction or faith in that diety being effective. This is not to say it won't work for someone who doesn't worship Mystara, but those not from Toril or not particularly convinced of certain gods or their efficacy would have to make a roll when using it (maybe Cha or Wis, I'll have to think on that).

I have a couple thoughts... Let's get two separate Wis checks for Jerry
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
OOC: The spell description doesn't mention the material as being appropriate to the deity but appropriate to the environment. (Maybe thinking of a Dark Sun campaign or a Waterworld campaign.) However, I'm happy with any (read as: 'reasonable-seeming') interpretation by your good self. So, silver, 10g, seems fine, TY!

In passing, it's Mystra. (I think Mystara may have been her predecessor by a couple of Deities). And both Jerry and Mystra are Forgotten realms not Torril.

Jerry She intends to give the second one to Merrick, her husband-to-be. I porpose that she has been coaching him in Mysta's Grace sp that he may be allowed to present the symbol defensively agasint vamps. She loves him and is an Undead Hunter, just this detail was "off stage", i.e. Jerrey lives this, the player has some sort of life elsewhere. :)

re two Wis rolls, the roller has gone nouts, it game me a result of "0" on 1d20.
Wis is 14. Please wil you roll twice for Jerry ?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Yeah, i have a problem with misspelling it sometimes. there is a world named Mystara that was used back in Basic D&D, also known as the "Hollow World"

Odd that there would be different versions of the spell.
Chris1234 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:56 pm ======
OOC: The spell description doesn't mention the material as being appropriate to the deity

In the priest spell compendium it does say exactly that.

"Holy Symbol

This spell is used to prepare a priest's holy symbol or to create a new symbol to replace a lost or damaged one. The new symbol-to-be must be crafted of appropriate material, depending on the religion/deity in question, and must be of the proper shape and design – a priest cannot pick up just any item and make it into a holy symbol. A priest can possess two holy symbols at one time, and this spell can be used to create a second one as a spare. No priest can create a holy symbol related to a religion or deity other than the one that he or she worships. The holy symbol of a good or evil priest will radiate a faint aura of good or evil, but is not a magical object per se. The holy symbol of a priest who is of neutral morals (with respect to good and evil) will have no such aura.

The spell requires the symbol-to-be as a focus for the spell energy.

Notes: Uncommon spell. "

Apparently there is another spell named "Create holy Symbol" which is also conjuration that ends with "[the priest] May also opt to give it to a lower level priest of the same deity"

For the rolls, the campaign roll list shows 2 valid rolls and a third which does indeed seem to be some kind of error... (copied below) not sure what that is about. but it looks like the results are 20 and 8, so 1 pass 1 fail.

So the passing wis check, she would be aware that Elsa might also have this ability to create symbols if she wanted to further beef up the party's protections.

Wis 14 [1d20]=20
Wis 14 [1d10]=8
Wis 14 on 0 [1d20]

She could certainly give it to Merrick, and he has seen that the powers of her deity are effective, but in the heat of battle he would still have to make a roll of some kind.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

TY!
Completely fine with all of that.
:)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I thought i had asked this elsewhere before but i can't find it.

When Jerry was avoiding 'flapping ears' overhearing her conversation with Merrick, Elsa was nearby. Would she be keeping any of that detail from Elsa? just curious so I can discern what Elsa may or may not be able to conjecture at this point.