Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 3, Episode 1: Darian's Wall

The Liora has a curse, no one will sail her, will you take the Councils Offer to rid the ship of its curse?

2nd Edition game for up to 5 players.

Moderator: SilverBen

SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Act 3, Episode 1: Darian's Wall

Post by SilverBen »

On the third day of the voyage over the coastal waters, The Liora reaches the Great Estuary at the edge of the civilized lands. The sun shines down through the water, revealing eelgrass beds in the shallows under The Liora as it continues inland. Tiny islands and wide swaths of reeds are home to water birds of all kinds along the tributaries that feed the Great Estuary.

Captain Burnett points to a tremendous stone wall marking the border of the north eastern wetlands. The fortification stretches across the horizon, as far as the eye can see. Burnett says, "Master Greystreet, I expect we will arrive in less than a seasonal hour at Darian’s Wall."

Greystreet responds, "Excellent, Captain, I commend your timeliness." Greystreet notices the wonder on the faces of some of the party and explains, "Darian’s Wall is quite impressive, eh? It was completed more than 100 years ago by dwarves the King hired intending to stop the encroachment of savage demihuman hordes. It didn't take much gold to motivate the dwarves to build it and everyone considered it a monumental success. It still serves that purpose today, limiting entry to our realm and keeping them from crossing the border on pillaging raids or other vandalous missions. Nevertheless, it is the gateway to the resources of the wilderness for merchants like me. Travelling outside the protection of Darian's Wall assumes a risk few are willing to take without potential reward."

Almost an hour later, The Liora approaches Darian’s Wall. The wall section is built across the river The Liora sails on and is supported at three separate points on the river: once at either shore and once in the center. Two metal gates resemble mesh fences. Each gate uses rings interlocked to form a large ring mail "curtain." The mesh is loose enough to let water and fish through, but tight enough to prevent man-sized objects from passing. One end of each curtain is linked to a metal bar that mechanically lifts it and allows ships to pass. Two stone guard towers rise two stories above the fort at each side.

"These are called ‘Mile Castles’ because they are fortifications built into Darian’s Wall at increments of about a mile along its vast length.” adds Burnett. “The river gates were built to keep boats and Swimmers from passing. At the first sign of trouble, guards can sound the alarm and lower the river gates like a portcullis."

A small dock allows one ship the size of The Liora to be moored at a time. The crew manages the rigging, raises sails to the yard arms, and moors the ship in place. Without any sound or sign from Lyssehea, Greystreet and Burnett begin disembarking.

An older human approaches the dock wearing chain mail and shield, carrying a spear, a long sword and short sword at his waist, and crossbow with quarrel case slung around his shoulder. He looks cheerful, but tired.
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
You may contact me at 917-426-4483
michaelslate
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Act 3, Episode 1: Darian's Wall

Post by michaelslate »

(Jakob)

I watch as we sail towards the immense wall. "A most impressive construction. I look forward to seeing it up close, if we get the chance. But it does bring to mind a tale I have heard from another land. The lords of that place built a wall around their kingdom. It was most impressive too, a wonder of its' time. But the enemies that it was built against got through the wall anyway. Not through a hole or an imperfection, but by bribing the guards on the wall. A wall is only as strong as the men who stand the watch, it is truly said." I say to whomever is standing near, if anyone.

When we dock and the crew begins to ship sails, I head down below to gather my gear and armor up. I put on my armor and grab my backpack and gear, making sure that Peacebringer is strapped on as well. When the captain and Greystreet disembark, I head down the gangplank after them. I stand behind them a respectful distance as they being to speak with the armed guard.
cryominer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by cryominer »

(Fezor)

Overhearing Jakob, Fezor replies, "Aye, the steadfastness of men can often be overcome with gold. However, it is an impressive wall, but there might be ways to dig under it or... fly over it. I often heard my master speak of magics that can enable one to fly."

As they approach the dock, Fezor tediously checks and re-checks his belongings to ensure that they are where they need to be. Spells are memorized and prepared. Backpack and pouches ready. Darts are secure in his cloak. With a deep sigh Fezor turns to Jakob, "Let us be off this ship and into the unknown."

Fezor follows Jakob, the Captain, and Greystreet off the boat. As usual, he is very careful to look around and note the details of the scene. Once the conversation begins, he politely moves as close as etiquette allows in order to listen in.
Cryominer - Ut fortuna fortes
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

Varis gathers his things and waits for willow and studies the elder human greatly
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos, not wasting any time, gathers his gear, making sure to equip his armor, under his cloak, , following up with his sword. Once the ship has finalized docking, he departs the ship. A calmness overcomes him being on solid ground, and a smile returns to his face, he heads down and waits for GreyStreet and the rest of the group, his mind refreshed and ready, spells memorized.

"Solid ground. It is so good to be off the ship.. I never realized how uncomfortable being on a moving ship made me."
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Greystreet leads the party disembarking from the Liora and addresses the older human soldier politely and cheerfully, "Sergeant Finver, greetings to you and your company. We are here on an important matter, a matter of honor and oath."

Finver just his open hand out and interrupts with, "Bill of lading, please, Master Greystreet."

Greystreet shrugs his shoulders and admits, "We have arrived neither to deliver, nor to receive goods, Sergeant." Captain Burnett stands behind Greystreet turning to the side, uncomfortable with Finver.

Finver looks as though his short patience have run out, hastened by Greystreet's prevarication. Finver pounds the wooden handle of his spear into the dirt and grunts, "Then what brings you to our river gate, Master Greystreet?" He regains his composure and feigns a more courteous tone, "Even those who do not pay customs to pass through the gate must still pay a toll to pass through."

Greystreet remains calm, as if indifferent to the soldier's usual duties and short temper. "I must see the lord mayor at once with this party of adventurers on an important matter related to the hobgoblins north of the wall." Finver looks stern until Greystreet's mention of the hobgoblins, which seems to raise his interest. Greystreet concludes, "One final request, Sergeant, please summon Lord Mayor Ushakov here, to our ship, as we are unable to leave it under the current difficult circumstances. I will explain fully to him when he arrives."

Finver appears clearly puzzled by Greystreet's request. Nevertheless, he crisply marches back to the fortification and disappears inside for several minutes.
Attachments
milecastle.png
milecastle.png (539.15 KiB) Viewed 11657 times
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
holly_e
Peasant
Peasant

Post by holly_e »

Willow sliips out from behind varis and addresses Master Grreystreet " Sir it seems that soldier just wants a bribe I know it is not normally a good thing to do but in light of our mission it seems any solution that is needed must be tried. perhaps you should at least see how much he wants?" she then goes to stand next to varis who starts to say something and she says " be quiet you will behave until the dryad is safe after the feywine incident. you know humans can not handle it at all and what did you do??hmmmm YOU GAVE IT TO THEM"
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

Varis watches the elder solder depart touching his sword handle thinking i have your ill of lading right here. he listens to willow and trys to tell her it is a bad idea that the thinks the guard can be bought by any one including the hobgoblings we are chasing but she did not want to her him as she is very upset at himfor giving feywine to humans and somehow affected the dryad. he is so sorry about that part he did not know that it could do that. he go to the main mast where he saw her enter and in elven say " My Lady I Apologize from the bottom of my heart I had no idea that giviing out that wine to the others would have any effect on You , I assure if I knew there was the slightest chance i would have dumped it overboard. I do hope You forgive me if not I understand but I hope You will at least allow me to finish this mission."
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

holly_e wrote:Willow sliips out from behind varis and addresses Master Grreystreet " Sir it seems that soldier just wants a bribe I know it is not normally a good thing to do but in light of our mission it seems any solution that is needed must be tried. perhaps you should at least see how much he wants?" she then goes to stand next to varis who starts to say something and she says " be quiet you will behave until the dryad is safe after the feywine incident. you know humans can not handle it at all and what did you do??hmmmm YOU GAVE IT TO THEM"
(OOC: :lol: Awesome, great to have you join us Holly_e.)
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Greystreet signals Varis and Willow with a look of caution ahead and then turns to whisper back, "No, no, my elven friends. You are being watched down the shaft of an arrow from every window." He motions at the darkened, narrow windows of towers. He then adds, "Threats and bribes will do more harm than good here. The toll is a minor matter. Do nothing until we speak to the Lord Mayor."

Minutes later, a tall human figure with brilliant white head of hair and beard returns with Finver. He wears ceremonial blue robes of the ruling nobles, it is Lord Mayor Ushakov, and he dispenses with the small talk quickly before moving to the real topic of interest: "What is it about the hobgoblins you wished to discuss, Master Greystreet? And why have you summoned me here rather than my chambers in the fort?"

Greystreet provides a summary of the party's investigation of the ship and travels to Darian's Wall as the farthest point within the civilized realms before proceeding with their oath to restore justice for the dryad. Ushakov's eyes alternate between intense interest in Greystreet's story and wonderment at mast of the Liora rocking in the river tide. When Greystreet finishes, Ushakov struggles to find the appropriate words, but only manages, "And where is this wood nymph that occupies the main mast of your ship, Master Greystreet?"

Greystreet responds, "I believe, she is dwindling in spirit and our time is essential to fulfill the oath we have made." He calls to her and encourages her to reveal herself from hiding. A gaunt, haggard looking maiden's form staggers out from the main mast as if it were nothing more than a doorway. She barely supports herself holding the side rails and her hair swings heavily from her bowed head by the knotted ends. "See her, now, Lord Mayor! Look at her condition with pity and help us. The fairest guardian of the forest is withering before our eyes and the hobgoblins are responsible."

Lyssehea nods in acknowledgement of her condition to the assembled party. She makes several attempts uttering the words several times before mustering the strength to speak out her message, "Destroy the saw and the hobgoblins. The saw is their power." She turns and staggers back to her lair, in the mast of the ship.

(OOC: Introducing three important points at this point in the game...
  1. The first player available, kindly roll 6d6 for the dryad's lifespan but reroll if the result is 20 or less. The result will be the number of hours the dryad has remaining before finally dying of separation from her spirit tree. Players must keep in mind that this information is not known to characters, but you may embellish in character dialogue and actions based on how your character observes or reacts to her declining condition.
  2. Next, we will begin careful accounting of time from this encounter onward, on a turn by turn basis for non-combat actions. Remember, regarding in-game time passage
    • One round of combat is approximately one minute long.
    • Ten combat rounds equal a turn. Similarly, a non-combat turn equals 10 minutes of game time
    • But, keep in mind, these are just approximations for tracking purposes
    • When you declare your character's actions, please indicate how long you plan the character to continue, or what conditions might interrupt it, change it, or )
  3. Varis and Jakub are entitled to a INT roll as a reward for helping her on deck in Act One. Success is any result less than or equal to your INT score.
Attachments
dying_lyssehea.jpg
dying_lyssehea.jpg (79.75 KiB) Viewed 11628 times
cryominer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by cryominer »

(Fezor)

Fezor frowned at the tense exchange between Greystreet and the soldier. To Jakob, "it seems that soldiers here on the frontier are the same as soldiers everywhere...you must pay to pass."

Fezor casts his eyes around the area noting the details of the conditions and behaviors of the soldiers, the conditions of their weapons, etc. He pays considerable attention to the structural integrity of the wall and gate works (secondary skill - Engineering). With a low whistle and then speaking as if to himself, "...the bearded burrowers certainly have the most considerable talent with building..."
cryominer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by cryominer »

(Fezor)

6d6 --- 3,3,5,2,6,2=22
cryominer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by cryominer »

(Fezor)

Fezor is appalled at the deteriorated condition of the dryad. To Jakob, "my pius friend, I am no medicinal healer, but the dryad's condition is worsening at an accelerated rate. Based on my calculations, we may have no more than a day or so to reverse her curse."

"I fear that we may be fighting against an enemy that no one can defeat. In the end, Time consumes all, and it appears to be an ally with the sub-humans."
michaelslate
Peasant
Peasant

Post by michaelslate »

(Jakob)
INT roll =4 vs INT of 13. Success!
"I believe you are correct, that they are like soldiers most places. Most whom I have talked with are concerned highly with honor, duty, and following of orders, especially when they feel that they are themselves the protectors of their lands against fierce enemies. These men are surely that. I do not believe that they have evil intent, they merely do as they are told and deal with matters as they have done in the past."

I look at the dryad with pity and sigh at Fezor's comment. "I fear you are correct, my friend. I only wish my abilities could be of some aid to her, but, alas, I know little about growing trees and less about the supernatural creatures whose lives are linked to them. We must make haste, else this trip will be for naught. This world will lose the light of this bright creature if we do not help her swiftly."
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos raises his eye at the mention of magical saw. Looking at Lyssehea, he is torn, while he feels for her and her plight... he is intrigued by this saw, and the fact that it would make a nice addition to wares for the Master. He thinks to himself, while Greystreet is talking with the Lord Mayor Ushakov..."Again, the Dryad mentions a magical saw. So many things about this saw I must see with it.. Who made this saw? What is its purpose? Is there a use for it for the Master? Will it be beneficial for us to not destroy it? Can we make work of these hobgoblins, and keep the saw in one piece? Will the Master be happy with me returning with this particular treasure?" His facial expressions continuously changing as he runs these questions over in his mind... Snapping back into the reality of everyone else, overhearing Jakob, and Fezor speak, he waits until everyone stops, and without trying to have too much excitement in his voice he asks inquisitively....."If this young woman is not faring so well, should we not be on our way, so that we can fulfill our oath to her? I am not sure about the rest of the group, but if I was in her position, I would like to be able to continue to live.... but the way she is looking, I would say if we don't get underway, well, our efforts will be for not."
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver