Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread III

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread III

Post by JadedDM »

No, I forgot to calculate the tumbling bonus. The post has been fixed.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Thank you sir. As in the belzorite lair, I feel Grubnick may need every HP he can preserve... now back to 'mildly' blowing himself up...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahque wrote:does he get a large bonus because she can't move? seems like that would make sense.
That depends. Does he care if she notices or not?

If he doesn't care if she notices or not, he can pick her pocket with no roll needed. She's held in place, can't move or speak or stop him so there's no reason to roll to see if he succeeds. In fact, he doesn't even need to 'pick' her pocket. He can just unstrap her belt pouch and walk off with it.

If he doesn't want her to notice, he'll need to make a normal roll. If he fails, he can still take her pouch but when the hold spell wears off, she'll know that A) someone invisible is present and B) something of hers was taken. (If he passes the roll, she'll still eventually realize something of hers was taken, but it won't be for awhile and she won't know when and where it was taken.)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

I was just thinking that pick pockets assumed someone who could move (and thus make picking pockets harder and might accidentally discover the attempt) and look around (so they could see the possible threats, would she know someone was invisible if she couldn't see her belt or look behind her?). Might give a bonus to picking pockets.

A knife to slit the purse would be rather useful right now...

Anyways, I think I'll go with the option of remaining unseen for now. Can Haahqae use a conjuration cantrip to create a small holy symbol of the Belzorites? What form would this be in? A statuette? A necklace?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahque wrote:Can Haahqae use a conjuration cantrip to create a small holy symbol of the Belzorites? What form would this be in? A statuette? A necklace?
The Belzorites did not wear holy symbols. They were identified by wearing brown robes and carrying live snakes with them.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Well that certainly make it difficult to secretly worship Belzor now doesn't it? :lol:
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Keep in mind, though, the Belzorites didn't need to worship in secret. They used to run the whole city before the Seekers took over.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Just out of curiosity, I intentionally specified throwing the flask "down onto the cobbles" at the half-ogres' feet to avoid his high AC. Did gobax really miss hitting the ground by 6 feet at point-blank range?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

That would be a bit of an exploit, wouldn't it? You could always aim for the ground instead of your target, thus never missing.

As for him missing at 'point blank' range, that's not really surprising. People miss at point blank range all of the time, with both projectiles and melee weapons. Remember, combat in D&D is an abstraction. Although we each wait our turn before moving and attacking, that's not how it actually works. Combat is chaotic. Stuff is constantly happening all of the time. Maybe someone bumped into him, causing him to fumble the throw. Maybe the sun got in his eyes.

In any case, I see it like this. If it's not a direct hit, then only the splash damage applies. So either you hit the ground on purpose, and therefore it's not a direct hit (the ground takes the full damage) or you missed, in which case it's still not a direct hit. Either way, only the splash damage (and of course, the extra damage from the Fire Trap) applies.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Not trying to exploit. As I said, just curious. The DMG does say that grenade like missiles are aimed at a point (character or the ground).

Grubnick's was aiming for the ground, trying to catch as many foes as possible in the fire-blast and splash. I understand the issue of constanrly moving in combat and being able to miss a target at point-blank, I was trying to say I was surprised he missed the ground at point-blank.

I agree the DMG is clear about damage being different between a 'direct hit' and splash damage.

All in all it doesn't matter, I will abide by your ruling either way, I was just trying to get some clarification for future reference.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

So... illusion cantrips can alter the facial features of a creature? Can I alter Rena's face to make it look like she was expecting this to happen and that she's enjoying it?

Or plan B: Would Haahqae be able to feed his potion of invisibility to Delharn without breaking stealth?

Also: Does Haahqae know if there are significant differences between a potion of invisibility and the invisibility spell from the perspective of being able to detect it? Would he think that the divination spell that incriminated Ismene could have "mistaken" the spell for effects that were produced through potions wands or scrolls of illusion spells like invisibility?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahque wrote:Can I alter Raena's face to make it look like she was expecting this to happen and that she's enjoying it?
Uh...yeah, you could do that. But the cantrip only lasts for as long as you concentrate on it.
Haahque wrote:Would Haahqae be able to feed his potion of invisibility to Delharn without breaking stealth?
What do you mean by 'feed' the potion? If you mean like grabbing him and forcing it down his throat, he'll likely fight you or just spit it back out. Since you don't actually mean him harm, though, it wouldn't break invisibility.
Haahque wrote:Does Haahqae know if there are significant differences between a potion of invisibility and the invisibility spell from the perspective of being able to detect it?
In terms of detecting it, there is no difference and he'd know that, yes.
Haahque wrote:Would he think that the divination spell that incriminated Ismene could have "mistaken" the spell for effects that were produced through potions wands or scrolls of illusion spells like invisibility?
As he has no idea what the divination was, he could only speculate on that.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

And one more question, since I really don't care for making another super stupid mistake that will just land me in a worse situation then I'm already in:

About the Baaz calling for reinforcements: Can he see anyone responding to that call? Is there a messenger running to deliver the message? Is there a patrol on their way here? Any dragons nearby that might hear/land soon?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

No sign of any dragons yet, but there are more soldiers approaching from the west and east. They won't be here for another few rounds, though. The ones from the west will arrive sooner, because there's a checkpoint not far from here in that direction.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahque wrote:(Haahqae moves to beside Rena and force feeds a dose of his invisibility potion to the dwarf)
Wait...just for clarification, are you feeding the potion to Raena, the dwarf who is paralyzed? Or Delharn, the dwarf that Gobax is trying to rescue?