Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread III

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread III

Post by JadedDM »

Positions haven't changed yet since the last map I put up.

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ok, so " Six of the baaz draw their long swords and move to the forest" was 1-6 and they're only just starting to move and haven't yet?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

That's right. They'll actually move in round 1.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahque, I was working on the next round and realized...Haahqae does not have Audible Glamer memorized. Did you want to do something else with your round?
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Oh my mistake. Somehow I mixed up his memorized spells and his spellbook.

I guess I'll have to do something with scare, I'll figure it out and post it within a day.

On second thought, can I do something similar (but quieter and ends when concentration is broken) with an illusion cantrip? I edited my post with a new suggestion.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Just remember that cantrip has a range of 10 feet, so he couldn't create sound coming from the roof of a building unless he was on the roof himself. (Sounds made from cantrips are muffled, too, so they can't sound like a specific person speaking. Just an indistinct voice at best.)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Haahqae is fairly close to the side of the road, could he get within range of a building? I expect most buildings in the city to be shorter then 10 feet tall unless they're important. If the buildings are too tall, then he'll settle for from around behind the corner of the building just north of him (5 squares north of where he is, move 4 squares north and 1 square west to cast it.

Yeah, I get that they're muffled, that's why I did just generic laughing and mumbling, not actual speech.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Sorry if I'm retreading ground here; but what is considered an "attack" and would therefore break invisibility?

Would Casting "Scare" be considered an attack? It is targeted at enemies, but cannot cause damage, only break morale.
Would Casting "Summon Swarm" be considered an attack? It can deal damage, but it is simply summoning creatures into a zone, not targeted at anyone or anything.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

With regards to invisibility, I consider an 'attack' to be anything meant to harm. So buffing and healing spells would not break invisibility like Cure Light Wounds, Prayer, Armor, or Protection from Evil. So Summon Swarm would be considered an attack, since the intent is to harm others, even if the caster isn't doing direct harm (although Haahqae does not have that spell memorized currently, so it's not an option at this point anyway).

I feel that intent is important. Using a spell to levitate an object into the air would be fine, but if you intended to drop that item on someone's head, it would break invisibility.

Scare...hmm, well it's a debuff spell, basically. It doesn't harm, per se...it just lowers their attacks, damage rolls, saves and reactions. So I would rule it doesn't break invisibility by itself.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

A few quick questions:

Isn't Glyph of Warding 1d4 dmg / level? So 5d4 dmg?

Did Grubnick's hood fall away? back when Grubnick began running (pg 18) he pulled his hood up, and double-checked bedore casting (middle of pg 20). While I understand they might be able to tell he is a goblin even with it up; I just want to make sure his face is still hidden during the combat.

Do the citizens look like they're going to run or stand around watching?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Oh, good catch. I missed the 'per level' bit. I've updated the post to reflect the new damage.

His hood is still up, as far as I know.

As for the citizens, some look stunned, some are curious, and some are fleeing. I'll likely roll secret morale checks for them to see.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Thank you sir :)
Holy crap the baaz survived 14 dmg... ruh-roh...

would it be possible for Grubnick to attempt to Tumble through the space occupied by Held Baaz #1 to reach the square south of him? Then continue southwest? The idea is to put some held baaz and citizens between him and his attackers while getting in range to throw the trapped flask at the clustered group
Last edited by TristenC on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, assuming he passes his tumbling check, that's possible.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Groovy. Thanks :)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Sorry to be a bother, but doesn't tumbling impose a -4 penalty to opponent attack rolls if I'm not attacking (their TN when Grubnick wasn't tumbling was the same as when he was). Or does it not apply because he stopped? The reason I am asking is because the ac bonus requires him to 'win initiative' but that would mean the tumbler always finishes moving before the pursuers and thus would always stop first negating the bonus.