Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread III

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread III

Post by Haahque »

I was going for Delharn this time; although feeding it to Raena would be interesting... But probably rather futile.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Yeah sorry Gobax, I'm really don't think a 12 HP theif with only a sling for a weapon can really help you any more against a dozen baaz. I might be able to take down one enemy; but I'd probably be KO'd as soon as I'm visible if I don't find a good hiding spot.

I'm going to try plan B and hope I can get any sort of leverage out of it. Maybe I'll toss in plan C while I'm at it.

Nearly nothing I try seems to have any chance of working, but I have to keep trying because I'm sure eventually something will have to work (or be such a spectacular failure that its worthy of being remembered).
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

When you say Haahqae is running, which speed do you mean? Jogging (x2), Running (x3), Running (x4) or Running (x5)? Keeping in mind that the temple is about a mile and a half away still and there is still at least one checkpoint between here and there. (Does he dispel his invisibility before or after the checkpoint?)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

He'll start at Running x3 for maybe 2 minutes, then drop down to Jogging x2. He'll dispel invisibility in half a mile as long as there's no one around while he's doing so. He'll do this regardless of if it is before or after the checkpoint.
Veni Vidi Vici
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Haahque wrote:Yeah sorry Gobax, I'm really don't think a 12 HP theif with only a sling for a weapon can really help you any more against a dozen baaz. I might be able to take down one enemy; but I'd probably be KO'd as soon as I'm visible if I don't find a good hiding spot.
No worries. It was an unplanned-for situation and a long-shot anyway. I appreciate the attempt. If Delharn and Grubnick survive, the goblin may take a stab at breaking the Dwarf out. But for now he's got a lot of things to get through before he can even begin to worry about that.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The ironic thing is how close you came to pulling it off there. Had Haahqae tried to warn Delharn what he was about to do, something like, "Hey, I'm here to help. Drink this and you'll become invisible," instead of grabbing him and trying to force the potion down his throat, it's very likely Delharn could have escaped.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Yeah, that was a bummer but completely reasonable turn of events. Grubnick's lucky so much of his preparation went according to plan, but the getaway would be the hardest part.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Again I made the mistake... Delharn had not done anything the entire combat. He had not moved, he had not attacked, he hadn't even spoken, so I sort of assumed that he wasn't exactly fully capable, maybe he was too bound to do anything effective or perhaps too scared (Haahqae's scare spell) or even that he was forced into pasivity by some sort of magical effect. I wasn't really expecting him to swat at the first thing that offers him freedom during a break-out. He should have just accepted the gift and ran.

If the baaz were trying to poison him; why the heck would they have waited until the fight was half over to even attempt it? Why would they be invisible? His logic really doesn't add up.

But, what's done is done, Haahqae could have said something but it would have been a risk that he'd rather not take.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I don't think 'logic' really enters into it. Ignoring that Delharn is hardly the most logical fellow in the first place--he's pure passion--I'm curious as to what you think the 'logical' response is to an unseen assailant grabbing you and forcing an unknown liquid down your throat during the middle of a battle? Remember, this all happened in the span of a minute. It's a little strange to expect he would calmly take into account things like why the baaz would poison him now, etc, all in a matter of seconds. All he knows is that there is fighting all around him, and now suddenly he's being attacked, too. His reaction was more instinct than anything.

Even if you want to argue that fighting back isn't 'logical,' surely you agree that it's an understandable response. I even warned you when you asked about it. I said, "What do you mean by 'feed' the potion? If you mean like grabbing him and forcing it down his throat, he'll likely fight you or just spit it back out."

Also it's worth keeping in mind that invisibility does not affect the recipient's ability to see themselves. In other words, Delharn never realized he was invisible in the first place.

Again, simple communication would have helped a lot here.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

He just didn't realize someone was trying to help him. It's a natural reaction
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

Everyone's dead, Dave
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

JadedDM wrote:Red Dragon breathes fire on the tavern, dealing (16d10+8): 7,3,9,8,5,1,2,7,3,8,10,7,7,10,1,9+8 = 105 damage. Everyone and everything inside is vaporized.
I think Grubnick just soiled himself...

Yes, spyguy, everyone is dead...
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

And that is exactly the sort of reason Haahqae didn't want to wake up the dragon last chapter. Even if he was a cat it would have eaten through all his 9 lives.
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Hi,
Sorry for being away for so long. Had travel to China and too much work to fill in afterwards. (I had literally worked 72h in sequence with no sleep except for unintentional lose of consciousness from time to time and it still didn't help).

How are everyone and how does the game fairs?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Good thx. Great to see you back!
How are you now after China?