Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2, Episode 2: Rights of Fishermen

The Liora has a curse, no one will sail her, will you take the Councils Offer to rid the ship of its curse?

2nd Edition game for up to 5 players.

Moderator: SilverBen

michaelslate
Peasant
Peasant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2, Episode 2: Rights of Fishermen

Post by michaelslate »

SilverBen wrote:( The merfolk convene on Jakub's words in their own tongue and nod in agreement.
The leader of the mermen addresses Jakub, speaking in Common “You may pass through our fishing water. We find your words favorable. It is we who are obliged to show you more respect for undertaking your goal.” He holds his palm up towards Jakub explaining, “You must keep the wine, it is poisonous to us.
The leader signals to one of the members of their tribe who responds by diving into the depths while the others remain attentive. The merman returns to the surface with one hand clasped shut and approaches the canoe Jakub sits in.
When he opens his clasped hand, the messenger reveals a small pearl of near perfect shape and stunning milky white hue in his palm. The leader continues, “If any others of our tribe challenge you, then tell them this is a Pearl of Wisdom that we have rewarded you as a token of friendship among the merfolk.” ( )

(Jakob)
"My apologies. I had no idea that such a drink was poison to you. Among our kind, friends often drink alcohol together." I say, then wait while the other merman dives and returns with the pearl. As they offer me the Pearl of Wisdom, explaining its' meaning to them, I bow deeply. "I am greatly honored. My thanks to you, and the thanks of the grateful crew of the Luckless Liora."

I watch as they swim away under the waves, then ascend back up to the ship while the seamen pull the canoe aboard. I walk over to speak to the captain. "Captain, I promised the merman that we would tell other ships and all the local port authorities about this being their territory. If you don't mind, I think those words should come from you and your crew. Ship masters pay more attention to other captains than they do some landlubber cleric named Graingrower." I say with a smile. "We may sail through their waters, but let no man attempt to fish. I have given my word as a priest of Pelor that we would not. And we would be fools indeed to think that they no longer watch us carefully to see that we keep my word."

After this, I walk over to the elves and hand them back the skin of Feywine. "Here is your wine back. It was an excellent gift, however, it is apparently poison to their kind. Perhaps, when our mission is done, we may all have a taste of it."
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Cpt Burnett stands at attention, cautiously watching the mermen depart. He eases as Jakub explains the successful resolution and smiles at the priest's light-hearted self-deprecation: "You have earned my respect and, from I gather the respect among those ocean dwellers, to stand aside captains for your effort today."

Greystreet beckons the Captain and then discuss how to navigate through the coral reefs safely. The journey continues uneventfully for the second day towards the Great Estuary and Darian's Wall.

(OOC: We have completed this encounter and I will leave this post open for anyone to make final posts for their character. In fuill disclosure, this encounter was based on one I found in the Deck of Encounters - Set One (TSR 9407) called "Rights of Fishermen." I'm very interested to get your feedback on what worked (and didn't) and what you enjoyed (and didn't) to improve the next and final two encounters I had planned in this campaign. Please use the Out of Character post to discuss them by 11:50 PM on Thursday, April 7.

Also, I noticed most of this encounter was played by two players, michaelslate and cryominer. If other players need to step away from the game, this would be a natural place to exit. Please contact me by PM to discuss, or call me during the day at 917-426-4483 for the New York time zone.
)
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
You may contact me at 917-426-4483
michaelslate
Peasant
Peasant

Post by michaelslate »

(Jakob)

After I've returned the wine to the elves, I walk over to Fezor and give him a friendly clap on the back. "Rest easy now, friend. Our way to continue is clear and we have made new allies this day. If only all of our troubles could be conquered with naught but honeyed words. I fear the hobgoblins will be a much tougher problem." Then I think for a moment and continue.

"I've asked the captain to warn other ships and port people about the mermen territory. Perhaps you and I should inform our superiors as well. People often come to the learned and the wise for direction, after all."
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos watches the exchange, not really wanting to get near or participate in the negotiations...His thoughts were focused on relaxing as he knew whatever was ahead to help was going to need focus and preparedness.

"Well now that we have taken care of this, lets hope that there is no other issues delaying us from startingHis voice carrying with it, unlike his normal joyfulness, some disdain, as if he was not completely comfortable on a moving ship in the water as it is new to him...
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
cryominer
Peasant
Peasant

Post by cryominer »

michaelslate wrote:(Jakob)

After I've returned the wine to the elves, I walk over to Fezor and give him a friendly clap on the back. "Rest easy now, friend. Our way to continue is clear and we have made new allies this day. If only all of our troubles could be conquered with naught but honeyed words. I fear the hobgoblins will be a much tougher problem." Then I think for a moment and continue.

"I've asked the captain to warn other ships and port people about the mermen territory. Perhaps you and I should inform our superiors as well. People often come to the learned and the wise for direction, after all."
(Fezor)

Fezor was, for a moment, uncomfortable. He had only known the mentorship and, later, friendship from his old master. This camaraderie with near strangers would take getting used to. "I applaud your bravery, Jakob, but it was still highly risky. The farther we get from civilization and order, the more danger we will face. Not all 'negotiations' will be so pleasant or rewarding," with a sidelong glance at the pearl. "Such as treasure...mind that you watch over it. It would be a shame to lose it."

With a weak smile, Fezor goes on, "Ah..., as to superiors, I am without guidance at this time in my life. My master since I was a street child has passed and I am into the world to seek my own fortune. I will soon need to seek a new master in order to train for advanced knowledge in the arts. That may be as dangerous as riding in this...ship." This time, the smile was genuine.
Cryominer - Ut fortuna fortes
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

Varis takes back the feywine and shares a very small amount with any that wishes. Those that taste it realize that it is the best and hardest hitting alcohol they have ever had if it was a full sized drink the effects would last for weeks. He then waits for Willow before going below decks.
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Lyssehea observes the celebration with disdain until she cannot bear her emotional pain. She bursts out scolding Varis, her physical weakness is apparent through her wavering voice: "Enough of your drink!"

A silence filled with embarrassment overtakes the deck of The Liora. She continues quietly now that she has captured everyone's attention: "You embitter me... like a maiden hopelessly lost in the woods... invited to carouse with a carefree band of fauns!"

She turns away from Varis, breathes deeply to calm herself, and wipes her tears before addressing Greystreet, "Take me ashore tomorrow morning, to commune with the plants at sunrise. I will inquire what has become of my grove and my lands since I was uprooted many moons ago."

Greystreet nods in acceptance and transmits an unspoken order to the Captain with a single glance. Lyssehea shuffles her feet slowly towards the main mast without looking anyone in the eye. When she arrives within reach of the mast, she lifts her arms up towards it as if it to grasp it for support. To everyone's astonishment, instead of bracing herself against it, she passes right into it and disappears as if it were made of misty fog that simply enveloped her! The crew, Captain, Burnett, and Horace Greystreet gasp in wonder and concern, clearly indicating none had ever seen a dryad become one with her spirit tree before.

(OOC: Here ends Act 2. Tomorrow, I will make a new post for Act 3. Please respond to OOC requests, especially feedback about what you enjoy and want to see more of in the next and what i believe is the final Act in our adventure.)
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
You may contact me at 917-426-4483