Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 10: Hard Choices

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 10: Hard Choices

Post by Chris1234 »

Shima tries to talk, but fails. He tries blinking and rolling his eyes.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I'll do what I can. I'm not that great at this sort of thing, but you have my word I'll do my best. Grubnick hangs around using his pipe until the Baaz start peeling off from their investigation. He will try to follow the first group that leaves, hopefully a small one and not the whole troop.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas will return to his room and will try to copy spells from the new spellbook to his own.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I kind of expected friends to not believe me when I say I am trying to help," Kendra says. "But my own father feels that way about me too." Kendra shakes her head as she finishes off her meal. "I guess I have over stayed my welcome. Thanks for the meal, mother," she says as she stands from the table.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Arulia stays downstairs and helps her mother and Niniva clean up after the meal. "I hope I'm right, too. I know that Kendra will do everything that she can to make sure that Father and the rest of the merchants are released."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Kendra Greylock (2723 Crooked Road, Synclair residence)
Saying her good-byes to her family, Kendra steps outside and considers her next move.

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware Shop)
Tulbas returns home. It appears he has the place to himself for now, as Magnus has not returned from his meeting.

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
"You have a lot of faith in your friend," Vera remarks. "But the prefect is...well, he's a monster. Some creature out of a nightmare. I wonder if he can even be reasoned with. I hope Kendra doesn't get into trouble on our behalf."

Grubnick (Market Street)
The baaz do not leave in groups, but altogether, at once. They head up Blade Street, before reaching an intersection. They then split up, with half of them heading east and the other half heading west. Grubnick will need to choose which group to follow.

Felran, Ne-Chanz and Shima (Haven North Sewers)
Felran and Ne-Chanz are unable to decide on what to do, and spend so much time going back and forth, eventually twelve minutes pass and Shima's paralysis wears off. The dwarf is covered in slime, which seemed to become inert once the ooze died. His skin is covered in burns, and his armor has some damage, too. But otherwise, he's able to move again. He'll need a good bath and a thorough clothes washing when this is done, however.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc: let me know if I get my map directions turned around like last time. I'll try to be clear.]

Grubnick silently curses his luck. If they're going to the barracks [East?], there's probably no chance I can get close enough to see if they have Gregeddin... The goblin follows the group heading away from the old keep [West?]. Sirrion guide my steps...
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Well, that could have gone better," says Shima, struggling to his feet & reclaiming his spear. He heads back to the northern dead end, spear outstretched in case the jelly-cube had a mate in tow.
If nothing untoward, he examines the stonework for anything interesting. {OOC: Detect Sliding etc}
If still nothing interesting, the dwarf examines the nearby western door for traps (if not already done) and then tries to pick the lock.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Assuming that the innkeeper agreed to his proposal about the performance, Haahqae goes ahead and pays her a steel then calls the room to attention.

"Attention Everyone! I'm Haahqae the really quite amazing, and I'm calling attention to a performance by myself that will happen this monday to commemorate the hard work that the dragon army goes through every day to keep our fine city safe. Tickets for this fine event will be sold in the market square on the day of the performance, but first I would like to give everyone here a small sample of the talent that will be displayed!"

Having said his part, Haahqae starts launching into a very similar performance to the one he gave the guards outside the barracks, changing only his jokes from the previous performance. Last time he started with a man fighting a baaz, this time his first joke is "A friend of a friend told me once, it's a good thing for the elves that they live so long," Brief pause for dramatic suspense, "Because they're so retarded that it takes them a hundred years to learn what any Kapak knows by the time they're ten." He'll then continue with the performance like the first one, including adding the joke of goblins being stupider then baaz.

As he performs, Haahqae will take stalk of the reactions of each group (Kapak's and Baaz) to each of his jokes. Promotion is just one thing he's trying to do with these advertisements, he's also trying to figure out exactly what type of humor each race has so that he can deliver to them the jokes that they want to hear.
Veni Vidi Vici
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra lets out a sigh, and returns home to try and sell the jewel that Norris mentioned to her previously.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

"We're going to need to move faster. Next time, let's not run into cubes," he says, looking to the way the cube came from. "How about we lead, so you don't get caught in another one."
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Sure. Let me check for moving stonework here first and then the door, won't be long, then you can take the lead," Shima replies.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

"I have to have faith in Kendra," Arulia replies. "I don't know what else to do if I don't. She seems to have the Prefect's ear, at the least. And she's not just doing it for us--her husband is imprisoned just the same as Father is."

After she finishes helping to clean up, Arulia climbs the stairs up to join Camilla and Cassilda in their bedroom.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (High Hand Inn, Common room)
After handing the steel piece over to Green Tears, Haahqae makes his announcement and then makes his first joke about elves. The four draconians just stare at him blankly. "I'm eight," says one kapak.

"I'm only nine," says the other, missing the point of the joke.

That one having fallen flat, he tries another joke, this one about goblins. This one lands better. The baaz guffaw and the kapaks snicker. "They are pretty dumb," one Baaz remarks.

Haahqae pays Green Tears 1 STP.
Haahqae makes a CHA check to tell a good joke about elves [TN 9] (1d20): 14, fail.
Haahqae makes a CHA check to tell a good joke about goblins [TN 9] (1d20): 9, pass.

Kendra Greylock (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems)
Kendra heads back to her home. Unlocking the door, she steps inside and closes it behind her. It's grown dark. Normally, it would be well lit and Norris would already have dinner waiting for her. This isn't the case now. Good thing she already ate at her parents' place.

She lights a nearby candle and notices something amiss. There's a terrible draft. Stepping into the kitchen, she sees that the window is wide open. The curtains sway in the cold breeze being let in.

She is certain she did not leave it open when she left.

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
Entering the small room she shares with her three sisters, Arulia finds Camilla and Cassilda sitting on their bed, speaking to each other quietly. They hush up when Arulia enters, but seem relieved to see it's her and not someone else.

"Arulia," Cassilda begins, keeping her voice low in case anyone is listening in, "we were talking...and...isn't there something you could do to help father? Like, a miracle, the way you healed my hand?"

Grubnick (Noble Street)
Grubnick follows the group that turns westward. They continue past the Grinning Goat, and up the hill to the noble district. The noble district is walled off from the rest of the city, and the only street that leads up to it is blocked by a well-armed checkpoint. Only soldiers and those with special permission may enter this part of the city.

Felran, Ne-Chanz and Shima (Haven North Sewers)
Shima returns to the dead-end and pokes around with his spear, but finds no additional oozes. He then checks the wall for anything suspicious, but finds nothing.

Returning to the door, he looks it over for traps but doesn't find any. Finally, he takes out his thieves' tools and starts work on the lock. After several minutes of work, he hears it click open. He then stands aside to let the half-elf and minotaur take the lead, as he agreed.

Shima checks the dead-end for sliding walls [TN 4] (1d6): 5, fail. He finds none.
Shima checks the door for traps [TN 20%] (1d100): 43, fail.
Shima tries to pick the lock on the door [TN 35%] (1d100): 29, pass. The door is now unlocked.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Fantastic... he thinks to himself sarcastically. Grubnick gawks like a farm-hand at the grandeur of the noble district; doing his best to see where the patrol turns once they are within the gate, but without trying to bypass the checkpoint.

[Ooc: I don't suppose there are any goblin soldiers in the noble district...]