Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Borderlands II - This is the current game thread

Second Edition AD&D

A gritty "low-fantasy" game in which the line between right and wrong may occasionally blur, set in a non-canon Greyhawk-based world.

Moderator: Stik

Forum rules
Players should expect to post two to three times per week. 

Players should have a working knowledge of Second Edition AD&D

Experienced adult/mature players are preferred.

No munchkins allowed, and min-maxing will be frowned upon.

Core rulebooks and "Complete" series books will be used.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Borderlands II - This is the current game thread

Post by Stik »

It has been two weeks since leaving Papa behind at the trading post, and the time on the road has been fairly quiet. Maughus, although unfamiliar with the area, managed to find a succession of decent camping spots along the way. This is farm country – large regular plots of land growing wheat and spelt east of the road and rice in the lowlands west of the road, all destined to feed the empire, and there are few villages. Instead, small villas can be seen on the hilltops well east of the road, surrounded by barracks-like buildings which house the field workers.

The road leading into town is a minor Imperial road, and despite occasional small signs indicating a lack of proper maintenance – grass and other plants growing in the cracks, and areas where tree roots have disturbing the stones – it is quite sound. The wagon proceeds smoothly, barely even rocking as it moves.

To the right of the road, and below it, a slow-moving creek lined with trees and reeds runs in the same direction. The creek meanders back and forth while the road is arrow-straight.
The afternoon sun reflects off the waters of a large lake up ahead, and the smoke of cookfires can be seen drifting lazily above the water, although the town itself has not yet come into view. Maughus, as is his habit, has been scouting ahead, and hasn’t been seen in a few hours.

A few miles out from the town, the land on the left side of the road begins sloping steeply upwards, and the road bends to the right, angling toward the creek. As it gets closer, the rolling hills down toward the creek side are replaced with what is clearly a man-made embankment, with trees planted at regular intervals.
Half a mile out, the town wall comes into view. It is of timber construction rather than stone and stands about ten feet high, atop an earthen berm about six feet high, and it appears in good condition. The wall runs around three sides of the town, with the lakeshore forming the fourth side. Per Legion standards, the surrounding area for a hundred yards outside the wall has been cleared of trees.

A pair of flags flies above the gate tower on the far side of town. They are hard to distinguish from this distance, but become clearer as the group gets closer – one is a Legion standard, the LXXXIV, and the other has a fist clutching six arrows, the sigil of the war god Hextor.

The gate is manned by legionnaires – four men in light infantry armor (sleeveless mail shirts with studded leather skirts and pauldrons) – with several more stationed on the towers above.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Re: Borderlands II - This is now the game thread.

Post by Jenara »

Angel rides to the fore as she lets her cloak fall at her sides, showing both her armor and her sword as she approaches the Gate.

Glancing to check Liri is clearly at her side Angel nods her head and greets the guards with a smile.

"Well met." She smiles openly.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galanis straightens on the horse, waits two horse steps to Angel's right and one step behind, to see what will develop.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"You were expected. Stand fast while we search your wagon, then you may enter and wait in the courtyard. We shall send for the commander," says the most senior of the four legionnaires. His men, who had been standing in the shade of the watchtowers, step out and look in and under the wagon, then wave the group through.

The gate is wide enough for two large wagons to pass at once, and opens outward. Inside the gate is a large courtyard, paved with gravel and flanked on the right side by a row of enormous barn-like structures - granaries. On the left is a stable, and beyond that, closer to the lakeshore, is a row of standard barracks buildings. Straight ahead is a cluster of smaller buildings, one of which is clearly an inn, with a covered patio along one side, and beyond that a variety of structures - homes, businesses, and the villa of the local legate.

A few people are about. The civilians are going about their business quietly and quickly, and look tense and afraid, possibly afraid of the legionnaires.
Outside the nearest storehouse are about a dozen armored legionnaires. Two are sparring with wooden sticks while the rest cheer or jeer or make suggestions. A legionnaire approaches the group as they enter the courtyard. “The commander has been notified of your presence. He arrives shortly. You are to wait here," His tone is polite, but firm. "Which one is Fraso?”

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Re: Borderlands II - This is the current game thread

Post by Jenara »

Angel enters paying heel to the Legionaries as they practice, the images it brought back caused her to shudder for a moment..

"Master Fraso travels in the wagon, as do his staff." Angel announces in a clear voice of command.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Once inside Galanis tension drops and he waits with the other members of the group to the commander.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Liri had kept alongside Angel all the time, quietly observing and taking in the scenery.

[OOC:] How closely is the Empire modelled on Ancient Rome? The setup of this town is HIGHLY unusual for Roman standards. In fact, Roman-founded cities are so similar in their layout that some years ago, I didn't at first notice I was trying to find my way through Verona with the memorised map of Bologna... The question is: would Liri and Angel notice this town is different?[/OOC]
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] Breila - This is definitely the first time a player has ever called me on an issue of historic accuracy. :) I have to remember the audience I am playing to. :)
Short story is that I needed a map of a town on a lakeside, and found one online, then altered it to include the features I needed it to have (granaries, stockade wall, etc). I didn't pull up an accurate Roman town.
Just hand-wave it if you don't mind. You'll be seeing other maps in the future which aren't exactly Roman, either.[/OOC]

After a wait of about a quarter hour, an elf arrives, clad in a pale blue tunic trimmed in red. He is wearing boots rather than sandals, and has a gladius hanging at his hip from a well-worn sword belt. He is well over six feet tall, with pale skin and a shock light blond hair, standing up from his head. His face is wide, for an elf, with a wide mouth and lined cheeks. He is smiling at the moment, but the lines in his face suggest that sneering might be its default state.

“So, here we have the source of all the excitement, yes?” He pauses, and looks at the group, waiting in the courtyard. “Has no one offered you wine? Water? Bread?” He turns to one of his men and says: “Lucius, fetch refreshments for our honored guests.” Then he turns back to the group.

“I am Tanulan ti Urad, and I have the misfortune of having to deal with you at the moment. Apologies for not meeting you farther north. Circumstances have demanded we delay here for a time. I trust you have not been overly inconvenienced on your journey?”
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Angel." She responds with a look of slight annoyance on her face, "We have not been inconvenienced.. We are just tired and in need of a rest." Watching him from her postion high up on Praesul she moves to allow Liri to speak.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galanis just smiles widely when meeting the officer eyes, but otherwise does nothing but leans a bit forward with his hands on the saddle.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Liri moves into the space Angel has cleared for her. "Liriodendra ti Corylus, Imperial Messenger Service. Though not on duty right now." She nods to the elf in greeting. "Pleased to meet you, Tanulan ti Urad. Where can we sit for the refreshments you sent for?"

[OOC:] What I really wanted to know is if the town's layout looks unusual to the party. [/OOC]
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] Nothing unusual about the layout of the town, except that the granaries, barracks, and stockade wall were probably a later addition to an established village, although they are not at all recent. [/OOC]

"A vital service, truly. One can not always put trust in Mageguild agents for messages. We can sit on the patio outside the tavern and enjoy the sunset. My men will see to your mounts."

The conversation is interrupted by noise from the lakeside. People are shouting and running away from the water.

The sunset reflects off the water of the lake. Silhouetted against the light a number of human shapes can be seen, walking slowly up out of the water onto the shore.

The legionnaires begin shouting and scrambling for weapons and struggling to get organized as the creatures approach. Tanulan quietly says: “Wonderful,” before stalking off toward the noise, barking orders as he goes.

Only a small part of the lakeshore is visible from the courtyard, and in that area are about a dozen walking corpses, some of which are clad in light infantry armor. The legionnaires have ignored the ones closest to the courtyard, and are rushing deeper into the tangled streets.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Zombies?" Galanis asks Angel and draws his sword. "I guess politics will have to wait, let's help them." indeed Galanis is ready to run for the fight but his military trainings let him do so while coordinating his movement with his companions and without disturbing the activity of the present army.

=======================
(OOC: Galanis is ready to fight, hopefully together with the rest of the party. If he has a chance he will try to figure why the close corpses are ignored and where all the army goes and accordingly try to help where the greater force of the enemy.)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"I will stick with Fraso" Liri offers. She is no great warrior, but hopes to be able to defend the wagon when the worst comes to the worst. She dismounts and lets Casta (her mare) find a way to safety.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

BishGada wrote:OOC: Galanis is ready to fight, hopefully together with the rest of the party. If he has a chance he will try to figure why the close corpses are ignored and where all the army goes and accordingly try to help where the greater force of the enemy.)
[OOC] The only thing to defend in this area is an empty courtyard, and your group, whereas further east are civilians to be defended. The soldiers on the ground are going where they can do the most good. [/OOC]