Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 1, Landing at Port Collins

A D&D 5E homebrew, a short tale to get to grips with this new system. Many travel to Wovara, a mostly uncharted isle on the fringes of civilisation, where man attempts to stake a claim against nature and the unknown.

Moderator: mgbevan

mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 1, Landing at Port Collins

Post by mgbevan »

Miss Freya takes a new piece of parchment and resumes writing at full efficiency.
The group hears a rabble of voices building, coming closer. As volume builds to a crescendo, a landslide of sweaty bodies pours through the grand doorway. Man after man, covered in sawdust, wood chips, mostly bearing axes or saws, and sweat laden clothes, enters the Manor House, pausing their conversations to greet the newcomers. "Hey", "Hey Hey", "Hallo", "Hej Hej" "Hallo" "Hej" You must count at least 50 men that come pouring into the house and file off into the two rooms left and right of Miss Freya. Conversations resume once the men are in the two rooms, and the clanking of metal on wood as tools are stowed can be heard.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Yes shall we!" in reply to Jason.

Under his breath:"I hope to find a different place to sleep, with some less manly company."
Rivi
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by Rivi »

rose takes all this in stoically shes not a big fan of the large group of people and thinks it might be better to sleep under the stars somewhere maybe even by the docks to wake up early and get a lay of the lad where they plan to meet there mark in the morning she turns and bows to Miss Freya "thank you for your hospitality" then heads out first she would like to talk to that Mr Wilson then go and investigate the docks
Characters:
Demiplane of Dread - Cross aka the dagger mage
Classic Puzzle-Cait aka the angel of death
Tales from Golden City-max aka Lady Red Fox
The Forge-dm
Genwald-Elden aka the SoulForger
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Waiting till they clear out of the house before speaking.
"Where to first? Food? Equipment? I wouldn't mind just walking around checking it all out."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Sounds good," Jason replies to Sornin, idly wondering why all of the lumberjacks were men only. "Let's head to the Commonwealth Farm first. That's the center of town." He heads that way, figuring that it's not a big town, they can probably find most of what they want there anyway.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Meran tags along after Jason, innocently playing follow my leader, eyeing the world around him.
Rivi
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by Rivi »

rose will follow along but before she goes she will turn back around to Miss Freya and ask "what is your least favorite color of flower?"
Characters:
The Forge-dm
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Black" Spoken without missing a stroke of the quill or sparing a glance up at the questioner.

The group makes their way back towards Commonwealth Farm, the path there is short only taking a few minutes. The views offered are similar to before, tents and canvas shacks. People milling about at a slower pace, chatting more than working on anything. There is also a clear view of the harbour and the water from the Manor House, sitting further up a slope than the rest of Port Collins. The sun dances on the water in warm orange and pink hues providing quite a sight. The group notices there are less people about near their shelters and that Commonwealth Farm seems to have expanded in size. There is still a large central campfire with people gathered around, but more smaller fires with people cooking and eating have also sprung to live under the great canvass roof.

The group learns that Commonwealth farm is operated and managed by a rota of residents here at Port Collins. They produce some staple vegetables, eggs from chickens, water, good simple hearty food. Basic supplies also come in by boat from Borma. It's possible to purchase most basic gear here for adventuring in addition to food and supplies. Just ask someone in the farm house what you're looking for and they'll check in the back if they have it. If they've run out, stock might be a few days. And if you're looking for something special or rare, the person to ask is Miss Freya. With her connections to Lord Collins, Miss Freya can sort anything out. Absolutely anything. That is of course if she has reason to, whether she likes you or you pay enough.

The party seems to be held in quite a high regard from their earlier 'heroics' as the family has been telling the story over and over again.
Then.
The cries of men can be heard coming from the Manor House.
"Beach!"

Over and over again, shouting yelling, "Beach" "Beach!" The group witnesses what one might consider one of nature's great migrations. In a great stream of sweaty clothed bodies the Timber Men file out of the Manor House and sprint towards the beach and frolic in the water.
Rivi
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by Rivi »

rose looks opn then shakes her head grabbing the attention of a farm hand "can you tell me where a Mr Wilson is?"
Characters:
The Forge-dm
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jason wanders about the Commonwealth Farm, keeping an eye and ear out for anything interesting. He'll keep an eye out for any of the people who arrived on the boat with him, but also just pay attention to what people are talking about and try to get an understanding of the mood of the people, what worries or pleases them, and how things are going in the budding town.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Meran wanders around just looking at and listening to everything, for all the world like a strange moon in an eccentric orbit around Jason.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sornin will watch the men run to the beach and then watch them for a minute.

Then look for the Smith family.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Violet" Rose hears from Miss Freya, without missing a stroke of the quill or bearing a glance to the questioner.

Sorin watches the men frolic, bathe and roughhouse in the water for a while. It looks quite picturesque with the setting sun turning the splashes of water golden hues. They seem in high spirits washing away the toils of their labour. They also play fight and try and push each others heads under water, clamber on shoulders and so forth, in a jovial carefree manner.

Returning to Commonwealth Farm, Sorin finds the 'Smith Farmily' sat near the largest central campfire. He the mother, Greta, recalling their heroic exploits to some locals. "Oh and they were so brave, they just dived straight in and save my boy Kalle, who can't swim yet. Oh look here comes one of them, the one with the good stories!" Pointing Sorin out to the group she was speaking with. The locals look upon Sorin with respect and approval, "Well done lad!" and "Good work my son!" can be heard rippling through the group.

Jason and Meran peruse Commonwealth Farm. Most people sit in little clusters about small fires. Eating from small pots containing a broth of vegetables, beans, lentils and sorts. People seem to move about freely between the campfires and chat with anyone and everyone. Jason and Meran overhear conversations such as
"Isn't it good that the ferries are coming more regularly now."
"Oh I know, our little community is going to keep growing faster and faster, its fantastic!"
"And to think of those who said Lord Collins was mad to suggest this, he's such a good man that Lord Collins"
"Aye, we have a lot to thank him for."

"They fell two dozen trees today!"
"Boy that house will be finished in no time eh?"
"Then think that Lord Collins will actually come here, and visit us!"
"Oh the thought of that!"
"Then we'll start having wooden houses too!"

"So where to you plan to go with all that mining equipment Patrice?"
"Up into the mountains, setting off in the morning. Got to find me my riches"
"I reckon it's about a day's travel to get there, no idea what riches you'll find though"
"Please do be careful Patrice, we like having all types come to join our settlement, it just makes us so sad when people go off on adventures and never make it back"
"Aye, take care laddie. How long do you expect to be gone?"
"Until I've found it, maybe 3 or 4 days, including the walk"

Jason and Meran would recognise Patrice as the dark skinned man from their ferry.

Rose finds a farm hand who informs her that Mr Wilson is watching the chickens at the moment. "I'll show you, not sure exactly why he's here watching them, or guarding them, I don't think they're in danger. But hey, he seem's happy enough" the farm hand leads Rose in between neatly planted rows of vegetables and plants towards a wooden shed near the back of Commonwealth Farm. As Rose enters she is hit by the stench and noise of Poultry. There are an awful lot of hens clucking in this shed and one solitary man sat on a stool in the middle of them. "Who's there? Have you come to protect the chickens too?" he asks hopefully, peering at Rose.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jason realizes that the talk of the town seems to be Lord Collins. People speak favorably of him, but Jason knows nothing at all about him. Approaching one such group he asks, "What can you tell me about Lord Collins. What is he like?"
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"I see my reputation precedes me. As I am new to the land, I would like to hear some stories from folks who have been here for a time. Does anyone have some stories of this new and budding town?" he will look to the others that had gathered around the family.