Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 1, Landing at Port Collins

A D&D 5E homebrew, a short tale to get to grips with this new system. Many travel to Wovara, a mostly uncharted isle on the fringes of civilisation, where man attempts to stake a claim against nature and the unknown.

Moderator: mgbevan

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 1, Landing at Port Collins

Post by Chris1234 »

Meran heads off to see the Timber men, and starts to let it be known to them that he needs to practice his skills, that he's quite good but want to be even better, so if anyone has some kind of injury through working too hard or whatever then Meran would really appreciate the chance to practice.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Do I exist yet? Will edit if it's a yes.)
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"What are fine folks drinking tonight?" not waiting for an answer he will say. "A round for my friends 'keep, and an Ale for me!" he will point at the table of ladies and Caavus. He will drop a gold on the counter and say "Keep the change to pay for the next few orders, and a silver for yourself!" Sornin will try to stay un-frazzled by the barkeep. While ordering he will try to observe more of the creature.
Rivi
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by Rivi »

rose smiles"let them look we've important work to do"
Characters:
Demiplane of Dread - Cross aka the dagger mage
Classic Puzzle-Cait aka the angel of death
Tales from Golden City-max aka Lady Red Fox
The Forge-dm
Genwald-Elden aka the SoulForger
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Mearn heads back to the Manor House, following the dirt path (gap between the tents littered all over the place) West. Once again entering through the grand doorway, he spots again Miss Freya in exactly the same spot, still scribing away with her quill behind the reception desk. She does not show any sign of recognition at his entrance, clearly busy with her work. Meran recalls that she offered the right hand room for the group to bunk in. Entering the the room, Meran sees a grand wooden hall, probably to be used for fine dining. A large roaring fireplace is as the far end of the hall. Immaculately neat rows of bedrolls, a stool and a box are lined perfectly along the flanks of the hall. Evenly spaced it is easy to find a few empty spots that one could occupy.

The Timber Men seem quite happy to have a new person with them. "Pull up a stool traveler." They say inviting Meran over. They've been talking about their favourite wood chopping tools and what birds they've seen in the woods that day. Offering his medical services, the Timber Men reveal a wide collection of blistered hands and minor cuts. (Meran can make a medicine check to determine his success)

Sorin places a gold piece on the bar. Peering over the top of the bar, the area inside is not well lit at all and it's difficult to see anything. There is also the large horse blocking part of the view. Jason has a similarly hard time seeing beyond the bar. The coat on the horse is jet black, and glossy. It looks to be strong and in good health. With a flick of it's ear, the horse get's to work. It uses it's nimble nose to nudge the coin off the edge of the bar, you can hear the satisfying clink of coin falling into more coin. Next, the horse proceeds to delicately pour and set down 6 large tankards of ale, at least as delicately as possible for a horse. One for each of the four ladies, Caavus and Sorin. The only other patron at the bar is a man slumped at the end of the bar, half filled tankard of ale before him. A faint snoring sound can be heard coming from the slumped man. Around the general area, no body else seems to be about this part of town. There is the beach, waves softly lapping on the sand, stars in the sky, moonlight, and most people seem to be in their tents or back towards the centre of Port Collins.

Mr. Wilson nods to Rose, say simply, "Aye" and makes himself a bit more comfy, rearranging some straw and hens to make a more comfortable seating place to spend the night guarding the chickens.

Ivare wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings. It was a wooden room, but not the sort of wooden room he was used to, not quite his room back in the Capital. The room he finds himself now had much darker and thicker wood than his own place, and there wasn't the same furniture. Ivare sees barrels and crates lit by moonlight coming from a hole in the ceiling on the far side of the room. No sign of his bed, or window lit by candle light anywhere. And why was everything salty and moving a little? Had he had that much to drink last night? He inspects himself, all his possessions, no chains, no handcuffs. Next to him, he finds a pack, his pack, complete with his belongings and weapons. This seemed very strange indeed. Standing up, Ivare collects his things and contemplates what to do next.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"The first round is on me solider, so don't look too hard." he can see Jason checking out the bar.

To no one in particular "Let's liven this place up a bit..."

Sornin will start with a ballad of new lands and exploration, creating scenes of lush green forests, that lead to dark caves by the end of the song.(Using the minor illusion cantrip)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Medicine [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10

Whilst examining the various cuts, blisters and scrapes, Meran tries to draw the Timbermen into talking about how far from the settlement they venture and what indigenous lifeforms they encounter.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jason watches with amazement as the horse manages to tend the bar. "That's incredible," he says. "I've never seen anyone train a horse to do that before." It was a bit odd, though, too. Why would someone bother, he wonders. "Thanks," he tells Sorin at the offer to buy him a drink. "Guess I'll have an ale, then."

Looking around, he adds, "Looks like we're the only ones who showed up," he comments before sitting down to listen to the song.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Yes, I wonder where the others are." He will grab a chair to sit by the group and motion for Jason to join them.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

The horse's ears had been pricked forward listening silently. As soon as Jason says his order, the horse's head ducks below the bar. A about half a minute later, the head returs into sight clutching another large tankars of ale in its mouth.

The group of ladies and Caavus really appreciate Sorin's song. Caavus doesn't appear too jealous of the spotlight shifting. The group seems quite merry, and the quantity of tankards layobg around seems like ample evidence of this. They laugh and giggke a lot, and sometimes slur their words. "Isn't this great?!"
"Wonderful!"
"A new island, a new home. And everything is so beautiful"
"Oh I know, did you see those men bathing? Shame none of them stopped for a drink with us."
The ladies gaze dream fully at the stars.
Caavus pipes up, "I think you're forgetting the company your in giela,."

Meran tends to the blistered hands of about half the men in the room. Some are either too stubborn to receive treatment or too injured for what meran has to hand.
They say after a while, "You know traveller, you're not so bad for one of those capital types. We were wary of you when you first arrived but you've done good things since you've been here. You got a name ,traveller?" They ask.

Responding to meran and his questions they chip in, "we try to go a shot as distance as possible. But we gotta go further since we cut down so many trees."
"More walking and less chopping."
"We see some wildlife, birds, bees, flowers, vermin, big old dogs. But we are so many in numbers nothing has given us any trouble."
"No sign of any other humans or other creatures. As far as we know, this is the only settlement on Wovara."
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Getting up, Ivare would grab his things. Moving to the wall with the moonlight, he would look out.

"Am I.. on a ship?"
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"I'm Meran," the dwarf replies. "And I'm sorry, but I won't remember your names. I struggle with names; they just seem to slip out of my head. But, just in case, what are your names anyway?"
Meran tries to estimate how many timbermen there are (approximately).

"Well, that's good about not having been bothered by beasts of the forest. You know, you could always consider just thinning some of the trees out rather than just clearing what's nearest. Then you'd still have some nearby in years to come. Just a thought. Anyway, I overheard some people in the camp talking about previous adventurers, don't recall any names, but that's not unusual, who'd passed through here not to be seen again. Know anything much about that? Where they might have been going? Same places? Or all over?"
Last edited by Chris1234 on Fri May 06, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"That's incredible!" Jason remarks at seeing the horse get him a drink. "Thanks," he adds to the equine, not entirely unsure if it can understand him or not.

Listening to Caavus and the four women, he asks of them, "What sort of work will you all be doing in this community? Farming? Mining? Fishing?"
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Let's have a toast to new beginnings!"
Rivi
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by Rivi »

rose settles in using the time to reflect on the days events but dose once and a while do a quick look over of the chickens to make sure there "ok"
Characters:
Demiplane of Dread - Cross aka the dagger mage
Classic Puzzle-Cait aka the angel of death
Tales from Golden City-max aka Lady Red Fox
The Forge-dm
Genwald-Elden aka the SoulForger