Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Episode Six: The Encounter

The Liora has a curse, no one will sail her, will you take the Councils Offer to rid the ship of its curse?

2nd Edition game for up to 5 players.

Moderator: SilverBen

SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Episode Six: The Encounter

Post by SilverBen »

Our adventuring party gathers from their various locations to the lower deck of The Liora. (OOC: Since DramaLlama has not logged in since March 4, I will take control of his character until he returns.) Deephart overhears Varis call out to meet below and descends the midships stairwell down to the middle deck. Deephart arrives on the middle deck and sees Varis descend the second set of steps to the lower deck. Hazel and Nalanilos descend the ladder through the trap door in the forecastle cabin. They both arrive in time to see Deephart descending the steps and follow.

The stairwell descends towards a landing on the port side of the ship. When their eyes adjust to the poor light and cool temperature makes it difficult even for characters with infravision to see clearly on the lower deck. The first thing the adventuring party notices, from painful experience with barrels, ropes and hammocks throughout the ship, is the collection of inventory stored here.
liora_lower_deck - center.png
liora_lower_deck - center.png (178.54 KiB) Viewed 11720 times
Crates, sacks, chests, and barrels lay across the floor and are stacked towards the port and starboard sides in a state of incomplete organization. Nevertheless, all is still and no items animate to threaten them upon their arrival. No heat sources indicate anything to our party members with infravision.

The characters meet at the main mast, in the center of the lower deck. It’s girth is nearly four feet wide, sloping gently up to the ceiling. The voice of the elven maiden calls from behind them, near the steps where they descended moments ago: “My name is Lyssehea. I beg your forbearance and assure you no further harm. Until now, no one has spoken to me in the language of the Elves. I have suffered through murder, destruction of my home, and imprisonment. Allow me to tell you my tale. Please tell me first, what are your names and the clan that you swear by your ancestors?

When the party turns to the source of the voice, they see a simply dressed elven maiden walk from the starboard side of the steps descending from the middle deck. She steps lightly around the corner into full view. She has exquisite features, delicate and finely chiseled with high cheek bones. She is clothed in a loose, simple garment that leaves her shoulders uncovered but everything else below modestly covered until just above her bare feet.
lyssea2.png
lyssea2.png (980.63 KiB) Viewed 11720 times
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
You may contact me at 917-426-4483
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Re: Episode Six: The Encounter

Post by mike_c »

"M'Lady Lyssehea, my name is Varis Nightshade, my clan is Lithdel." I am amazed at her beauty and can not stop staring at her.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"My name is Hazel, I have no clan lest I make one of my own." She crosses her arms over her chest and listens.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

She clasps her hands at her waist in front of her and steps slowly towards the party. She explains: “I am a lonely, widowed tree sprite. I am lost and abandoned far from my home in the secluded oak groves of the north.
Her voice quivers as she retells her tale: “My husband was murdered… amid axes, flames, and mockery.” She looks to the party begging for sympathy, “A marauding hobgoblin clan.” She breathes to calm herself, “I cannot explain how I survived, but I surely expected to die that horrible night.
She approaches Varis but looks past him at the main mast where it rises past the ceiling of the lower deck and continues with a fierce look, “Sold to an upstart shipmaker who cares not from whom he purchases wood, as long as the price is good.”
This outrage burned the desire for revenge into my heart. I concluded the gods have allowed me to live on only to punish the townspeople, who were responsible for the murder of my husband. I resolved to myself that they gain nought but sorrow from this vessel. But your sweet words of Elven transformed the charcoal in my heart back to its original state.
Lyssehea turns to Hazel, “I am more than willing to end my war against the townsfolk, if your party promises to bring the real culprits (the hobgoblins) to justice.
Attachments
dryad_by_kir_tat-d4bh40e.jpg
dryad_by_kir_tat-d4bh40e.jpg (246.86 KiB) Viewed 11695 times
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Hobgoblins?" Hazel muses, "An interesting tale. We would need to convince the Townsfolk, for that we would need some... Assurances from you. If you promised not to hurt anyone we would talk to them, explain the story. Are you tied to the vessel?" Running her hand along the timber she shudders, nature was to be protected, the creatures of the forest revered.

"Do you agree? Our causes are similar, the forests my home." Hazels head lifts, her axe is shifted from view.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

I listen to her story with undivided attention then address the dryad after hazel is finished. " M'lady I have already given you my blood oath to help you and get you justice. I am sorry that some humans do not care where they get things as long as the can make a profit. may I know your name? By ending your war with the townspeople means no more injuries? You will give them the ship to do with as they wish? As I said I can not speak for my companions but I will kill every single hobgoblin or die trying if they wish to assist me I welcome their help but will go alone if I must. Do you know where I might find these dead hobs? Are you able to leave this ship?
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos follows everyone else to the meeting spot, still not quite sure of what to make this., He looks up to see the woman, speaking, hearinher story, and his mind wanders off for a few moments..."Wow...I have never heard of a Wood Sprite before. Perhaps this was what Master had meant by that I have reached an age into which exploring the world would open my eyes to new experiences, new races, and such. Too bad my parents weren't alive to see this, I would have like to have known if they had met someone like her" Nalanilos gets snapped out of his inner monologue by a somewhat gentle nudge from Hazel, he realizes that his mind strayed and not paying attention.

"Sorry, I got side tracked...."Nalanilos paused for a moment.. "again. My name is Nalanilos Whisperwind. I do not know of my clan for I was admitted into a new family and it is not a name we speak outloud for undisclosed reasons."

Nalanilos looks puzzled for a moment at the mention of Hobgoblins. "What are Hobgoblins? I am very young and well inexperienced when it comes to the outside world"
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Evil creatures, they are a plague in the Forest." Hazel responds, the thought if this child in that situation was not one she would take the blame for.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Jenara wrote:"Hobgoblins?" Hazel muses, "An interesting tale. We would need to convince the Townsfolk, for that we would need some... Assurances from you. If you promised not to hurt anyone we would talk to them, explain the story. Are you tied to the vessel?" Running her hand along the timber she shudders, nature was to be protected, the creatures of the forest revered.

"Do you agree? Our causes are similar, the forests my home." Hazels head lifts, her axe is shifted from view.
Lyssehea hesitates before admitting to Hazel: "Forgive me, I agree... the forest is our home and I will truly consider you an ally. You have my assurance of no further hostility.""

She looks troubled before continuing, "I awoke in confusion several days after their massacre. When I realized my husband was killed and I continued to exist, I doubted my own life and wondered if I had become some cursed creature of the afterlife. But those doubts soon evaporated when I began to crave nuts, fruits, and water. The wretched hobgoblins were transporting their quarry down river when I managed to emerge from hiding and made a brief escape to the river banks, where I collected enough food to satiate me. But a wave of weakness swept through me as the distance to my husband increased. I chased the slow moving funeral procession and joined my husband again until we reached the logging camp.

Lyssehea withdraws a handful of nuts from her pouch and pops them into her mouth before chewing them quickly. "At the logging camp, the Hobgoblins sold their quarry to a shipmaker who cared not where the wood was sourced, except that it was cheap."
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

mike_c wrote:I listen to her story with undivided attention then address the dryad after hazel is finished. " M'lady I have already given you my blood oath to help you and get you justice. I am sorry that some humans do not care where they get things as long as the can make a profit. may I know your name? By ending your war with the townspeople means no more injuries? You will give them the ship to do with as they wish? As I said I can not speak for my companions but I will kill every single hobgoblin or die trying if they wish to assist me I welcome their help but will go alone if I must. Do you know where I might find these dead hobs? Are you able to leave this ship?
"I have told you, Lyssehea is my name, a tree sprite of the oak groves. How can I give up the ship to the townsfolk when I seem bound to my husband, even after his death? Were it in my power to abandon, I would surely return to the north to find a new husband and end this imprisonment. But I have not had the courage to end my misery by taking own life. Each time I prepare myself for the end of it all, I am overwhelmed with the desire for revenge on the hobgoblins and their magical saw destroyed." She folds her arms around herself in comfort.
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

SpiderReaver wrote:Nalanilos follows everyone else to the meeting spot, still not quite sure of what to make this., He looks up to see the woman, speaking, hearinher story, and his mind wanders off for a few moments..."Wow...I have never heard of a Wood Sprite before. Perhaps this was what Master had meant by that I have reached an age into which exploring the world would open my eyes to new experiences, new races, and such. Too bad my parents weren't alive to see this, I would have like to have known if they had met someone like her" Nalanilos gets snapped out of his inner monologue by a somewhat gentle nudge from Hazel, he realizes that his mind strayed and not paying attention.

"Sorry, I got side tracked...."Nalanilos paused for a moment.. "again. My name is Nalanilos Whisperwind. I do not know of my clan for I was admitted into a new family and it is not a name we speak outloud for undisclosed reasons."

Nalanilos looks puzzled for a moment at the mention of Hobgoblins. "What are Hobgoblins? I am very young and well inexperienced when it comes to the outside world"
Lyssehea responds to Nalanilos: "Perhaps, Nalanilos, hobgoblins have been kept hidden from you to keep you from anxiety. They are a fierce humanoid race that wage perpetual war with the other humanoid races as long as stories have been told of them. Do no underestimate them - they are intelligent, organized, and aggressive. They are ruled by strength, strongly tribal, and there is an exact pecking order in their tribes; each member knows who is above him and who is below him.They worship their foul deity, who they sacrifice with a priesthood by beheading with an axe. Destroying everything in their path, torturing living creatures with a pleasure, and making a mockery of suffering is their natural way. "
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

"My Lady Lyssehea, I need to know where to find these walking corpses how to tell that I haave found the right ones, though I have no qualms killing every hobgoblin that exists I just need to know when I have gotten you the justice you deserve. I am also curious in anything you can tell me about this magical saw."
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

"That does sound like an intense description, and given by both Hazel's and Varis's account. It seems they are of a nasty depostion."Nalanilos pauses for a moment before continuing, his elven ears perking up at the mention of a magical saw. "What is this magical saw that you speak of and what purpose does it have, or will it have for you?"
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I feel your pain Lyssehea, and I will do all I can to aid you." Listening to the stories with interest she considered the options.

"So I see this is our plan. We talk to Greystreet and explain the situation, if we brought him down here would you tell him your story?" She asks getting closer to the Sprite. "Her will not be pleased at first. But her seems a reasonable man."

"We find the shipwright, ask some questions, then go to the logging camp.. That should help us track them down." Lookind around she waits for reply.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

Lyssehea is agreeable, albeit apprehensive, to explain her story to Greystreet.

(OOC: Fade to black. We are now ready to conclude this episode. Please make your final posts as an epilogue.

It looks like we lost DramaLlama, he dropped out due to time constraints that prevented him from posting. I'll try to find an alternate player. Each remaining player earns 850 XP for their character's participation and peacefully resolving the mystery of the "haunted ship".