Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Episode Five: The Sighting

The Liora has a curse, no one will sail her, will you take the Councils Offer to rid the ship of its curse?

2nd Edition game for up to 5 players.

Moderator: SilverBen

SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Episode Five: The Sighting

Post by SilverBen »

mike_c wrote:Varis goes thru the hatch, sheathes his sword and calls out in Elven " My Lady please do not be scared my name is Varis and I mean you no harm, I swear this on the honor of our ancestors. Please speak with me tell me what has you so saddened, there must be a way that I may assist you and help the situation."
Jenara wrote:Hazel moves to the hatch, but doesn't climb it.. "Hold.." She says in a low voice, "That was foolish, for all we know that could be a trick." She watches Varis climb the ladder, pausing to see how it turns out.
SpiderReaver wrote:Nalanilos turns his head back and forth towards Varis and Hazel, confused by the difference of opinion, yet unsure of what he would do... However, he chooses to follow Hazel, perhaps by the sheer aspect that he is enthralled by her presence and ability to take charge, which is completely unique from his home, and with dealing with his Master.

"I'll just follow where you are going Hazel, it would seem to better.... well at least I think it would be, considering that I am do not really know how to react to such sadness. So rather deal with no emotion, than sad emotion."

He then, waits to see what happens, but, keeps a watchful eye out and keeping alert while waiting for the next step...
(OOC: Since the party is now split between three locations, I will ask you to remain in character and role play out any lack of knowledge on the character's part. I will annotate each post to specify whose perspective the description applies.)
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
You may contact me at 917-426-4483
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Re: Episode Five: The Sighting

Post by SilverBen »

(OOC: From Hazel's perspective, see map attached...) Hazel sees down to the middle deck, below the forecastle cabin. It is somewhat illuminated from the sunlight coming in from the cargo bay doors, near the center of the ship. She can see the base of the wooden ladder Varis descended and where he is standing, as long as he remains stationary. (OOC: If Mike_C chooses any action that has Varis move from his position, then Hazel will lose sight of him.)

(OOC: From Varis's perspective, see map attached ...) Varis stands at the head of a large cargo area on the middle deck. Immediately to his left, the foremast descends straight from the ceiling to the floor. Behind Varis, a larger portion of the bowspirit descends diagonally from the ceiling above through the floor below. Approximately four yards ahead, a rectangular partition takes up the center of the deck from floor to ceiling. Looking straight ahead to his right, along the port wall of the ship, the cargo area appears empty until it ends at a perpendicular wooden wall approximately 9 yards away.

(OOC: From Nalanilo's perspective...) Nalanilos remains in the forecastle cabin, watching Hazel standing over the open hatch.

(OOC: Round six of nine for the Brothers Chant spell. )
Attachments
Varis's view from standing at the base of the ladder.
Varis's view from standing at the base of the ladder.
liora_middle_foredeck.png (586.37 KiB) Viewed 11719 times
Hazel's view from standing above the hatch
Hazel's view from standing above the hatch
hatch view of middle_deck.png (106.07 KiB) Viewed 11719 times
I try to post at least once daily, late at night in the Eastern (New York) Time Zone.
I am not available Friday nights to at least two hours after sundown on Saturday.
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

OOC want some clarification please on the map it shows two sets of stairs down is that accurate? I dont think the maiden went down the stairs if it is. until further notice all words spoken by Varis will be in Elvish

having stated my intention to Hazel I follow where I saw the maiden go trying to catch up to her while still remainng viigilant as to anything that might be a threat or attack him like the rope upstairs. " M'Lady stop and speak with me please"
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

(OOC: Yes, you can base your actions for Varis on the map and I will clarify the description I gave earlier: It was based on Varis standing at the base of the ladder. From there he would only see the empty cargo area in front of him to the port side and since you are now saying he continued his pursuit of the elf maiden turning left to the starboard side, read the continued description below.)

Once Varis pursues the elf maiden, Varis stops on the starboard side and can see several possible exits...
  • the rectangular partition taking up the center of the deck is actually a stairwell leading down to the lower deck. It is darker down there, little or no light emanates.
  • The pair of cargo doors are just beyond the stairwell going down. Sunlight streams down through the lattice work in the cargo bay doors.
  • At the end of the starboard corridor, he sees a door in the center wall is ajar.
  • Immediately to the right of the door, towards the port side, is another stairwell leading up to the upper deck. Sunlight streams down stairwell rising to the upper deck, where Deephart is standing and waiting.
(OOC: Mike_C, let's wait here for DramaLlama and the other players to catch up and post.)
DramaLlama
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DramaLlama »

Seeing the others heading below, Deephart defends the stairs, following the other, his mace in hand. He scans the area to see where the others have gone.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Hazel stays at the top of the hatch, holding her weapons tightly she frowns, "Varis.. That's a bad idea."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos crouches down and watches Hazel, speaking quietly, "So, do we wait for Varis, or continue on Hazel?
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I think its a trap, maybe I'm jaded.. But it seems to obvious.. When the workers got hurt they swore they heard a high pitched laugh." Musing she watches the hatch.

"Varis, do not go down there alone, if she needs our help she will ask." She waits for a response for a few moments.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

Varis goes to the door that is ajar " there is an open door down here I am going thru it if you wish to follow" I say talking to noone specific advancing with some caution as is his nature but not so slow as to completely lose his target.
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

(OOC: From Varis’s perspective…) Before he reaches the door, Varis hears the voice of the Elven maiden challenge him softly but in a scathing tone: “By your oath, will you help restore justice for murder, theft, and wonton destruction? You and your companions, all of you will swear by the same ancestors?” The voice reverberates in a slight echo and it is unclear that it originates from beyond the open door.

(OOC: From Hazel’s and Nalanilos’s perspective…) Back in the forecastle cabin, Hazel and Nalanilos are startled when hammocks animate by tilting back. They suddenly snap closed and reopen wide as if they each have become a giant cloth mouth trying to swallow their victim! Two hammocks attack Nalanilos and one attacks Hazel.

(OOC: Each character must roll a Strength Check for the each hammock attacking. Failure means that the hammocks swallow the character, immobilizing his arms and legs and hoist him into the air. The hammocks then whip the entrapped character up and down against the ceiling and floor, taking 1d4 points of damage per round. A successful check means the character avoided the hammocks. Please simultaneously roll 1d20 vs STR and 1d4 damage. Describe the results through role playing as appropriate.

Remember to add bonuses bestowed by the Brother's Chant spell. This is round seven of nine
)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Her mind on the trap door Hazel doesn't feel the hammock sneak up behind her, grabs her tightly throwing her to the floor bruising her arm as it smacks her to the floor. "Nalanilos, get back!" She warns him loudly, struggling to free herself.

Str [1d20] = 19 fail. DMG [1d4] = 4

Borderlands 3 - Navi
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

( OOC: Jenara, I didn't see that coming. Nevertheless, you can make another STR check for Hazel to free herself next round, after SpiderReaver, Mike_c, and DramaLlama take their action.)

( OOC: From Deepharts perspective...) Deephart heard Hazel's warning to Nalanilos followed by the sound of struggling from the forecastle cabin from where he stands on the upper deck.
mike_c
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by mike_c »

I stop just short of the door and listen carefully, "M'Lady I ask you please come and speak to me face to face. I can not speak for
my companions but I can swear on my Elven Ancestors and my blood"
I take my dagger out a make a small cut in my off hand and allow a few drops
of blood to fall on the floor." that I will get Justice or die trying. If they
do not agree with my oath I will not let them stop me from fulfilling it. Are you the one that caused the rope on deck to attack me?
please tell me your story M'Lady."
I stand still after returning my dagger to its sheath and await to see what happens.
SpiderReaver
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SpiderReaver »

Nalanilos crouched, startled by Hazel's words, quickly turns to move, to see the fabrics that made the hammocks come at him, the first almost catching him off guard. At almost the last possible moment, Nalanilos spins to his right to avoid the first hammock. When he spins he is able to able to see the other hammock and easily able to avoid the fabric. Once avoiding the fabric, he moves towards the door, to turn back towards Hazel. He steadies himself, focusing and calling to mind an incantation used to detect emanations of magical variations "Karinanstan stath entulenth" Nalanilos gives it a few moments to activate before he makes his next move.

Str: 12 1st roll 10, 2nd roll 3

(OOC) Casted Detect Magic
"L'Oloth wun vel'bolen dos lac, zhah naut zuch vel'bol dos xal ragar" ~SpiderReaver
SilverBen
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SilverBen »

(From Varis's perspective...) The voice responds more distant now but clear, "Your blood has secured the oath of your words. But I will not be betrayed by your companions. Bring them below to the lower deck to swear to me just as you have, or else leave this ship, all of you! I will speak to you and your companions on the lower deck, at the main mast"

(Nalanilos earns 250XP from avoiding the hammock attacks. From Hazel's and Nalanilos's perspective...) The hammock that entrapped Hazel stops slamming her against the ceiling and floor of the forecastle cabin. The hammock rocks less and less. As it maintains its grip around her, the elf maiden's voice rises from the front of the cabin, as if from inside the bowspirit: "Your companion has sworn to bring me justice. If you will take up his oath, then I will cause you no harm and tell you my story."

(OOC: Jenara, you can roll vs STR to have Hazel break free with force or you can allow the fabric to release slowly. Your choice... ) The fabric of the hammock begins to release Hazel. Her voice directs the party once more before the silence overtakes the cabin again: "Meet me at the main mast in the lower deck."

Deephart remains guarding the upper deck, outside the forecastle cabin.