Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 15: There and Back Again

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 15: There and Back Again

Post by JadedDM »

Jocelyn, Ouragana, Baeros, and Gallath (Temple of Gonto, main worship area)
"From what I've heard, 'trouble makers' sounds pretty accurate," Leena says. "But at least you didn't bring that vagrant with you."

It's at this point that Baeros and Gallath step inside, having lagged behind the women. Leena sighs audibly. "Why must you test me so, Gonto?" she whispers between clenched teeth.

Turning back to the women, Leena says, "We do have a new kohen. However, a kohen and a pastor are about evenly matched, if I understand correctly. Still, there may be some way to lift the curse. Would you like me to fetch her?"

Gallath has never been here before, so he looks around as he enters. It's an impressive structure, even more so on the inside than the outside. Almost everything has been painted gold and it looks like a new room is being added to the place.

(OOC: When Ouragana first heard of the old kohen's quest to travel to the tribal island, she came here to speak with him personally about it, so yes, she has been here before.)

Drav Arellax (Marketplace)
Drav leaves his armor behind, meaning he is now wearing nothing but his loincloth as he walks toward the marketplace. It's bustling with people buying and selling their wares. It was strange enough to be around people again and even stranger to spend a week on a boat with 100 folks on it. But this was entirely different. There were around 1,000 souls in this town. He was surrounded by people of all sizes, shapes and colors. Dwarven wardens patrol the streets, halfling sailors barter with human merchants, gnomish crafters try and ply their trade and every now and again he's see an elf or half-orc or some other more exotic race.

He caught more than a few looks, because while there were a few elves around, they wore a bit more clothing than Drav was. Perhaps the first order of business would be to acquire a wardrobe.

(OOC: Drav is no longer encumbered.)

Naras Stonebreaker (Temple of Gonto, Naras' office)
Otaya frowns, a rare expression for her. "But Agnas was copperless. She gave most of her pay to her granddaughter every month. She knew nothing about this money and would likely have answered differently if you had actually told her about it. You didn't know her, but I did. She would have wanted this money to go to Deanna," she argues.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Forgot I have no clothes. TO THE TAILOR.)

Drav walks to the Tailor/Clotheshop/Wardrobe in search of clothes.

(OOC: When you realize this is the 7777th post of the thread.)
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The kohen looked at Otaya evenly, "I will talk this out with you; I shall not leave anything to fester within the House of Gonto. Doubt me not, I do what I do in the service of Gonto. It is work and often hard and I will not shirk this; it is my essence. We shall reach an accord, you and I.
Understand this: I was under no obligation to share any of the proceeds from the Leaguers with Agnas or her estate.
I chose to do so out of compassion and respect for her faithful years of service to Gonto.
I expected that to be bequeathed to Deanna
Instead her Last Will & Testament bequeathed all of her assets to this temple.
Her spirit told me, witnessed, that she bequeathed all of her assets to this temple.
I did what was possible in the time limits of the spell.
If you believe you know this dwoemer better than me, or a way of enhancing it, then I require you to share this with me now.

But, returning to Agnas, you ask me to break the law by ignoring Agnas's written Will and posthumous word.
Make no mistake, I will not do this - it is contrary to Gonto's Will.
However, in certain matters of the temple, provided they do not contravene the law of the land, I have wide discretion.
I may choose to exercise that discretion in favour of Deanna. But do not regard that as her right; she has none in this situation.
Now, I know that Deanna is a merchant. I know that she blames this temple for the death of Agnas. I know nothing else of her.
This is your opportunity to argue in favour of Deanna; to compel me.
Tell me fully of your relationship and connection to Deanna and her affairs.
Tell me of Deanna herself, her business and her financial status.
I will listen without interrupting you.
Proceed."

Naras sat motionless, listening to Otaya with her every dwarven fibre.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn glances over her shoulder towards Baeros and Gallath, but it was Leena's reaction that got a small laugh out of her. "If you would, please," she says. "Though, if a Kohen is about as powerful as a Pastor, then we might need something or someone more powerful."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

At the mention of the word "kohen", Ouragana blushes pink. She is relieved there is a new kohen. Thinking back, her troubles really started when she failed the old kohen back on that island... That hat been the first time her ideals had met reality, and by now she knew that they were too high to be practised.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jocelyn, Ouragana, Baeros, and Gallath (Temple of Gonto, main worship area)
"Perhaps," Leena answers. "But there may be another solution, as well. Please wait here."

She heads into the kohen's office for a few moments, then returns with a rather young dwarven woman. While Kohen Truestone was old and grey, this woman looks like she probably just got promoted from acolyte a short time ago. She's probably the equivalent of 20 years old. But nevertheless, wears the standard vestments of a kohen of Gonto. She's deeply tanned, has a boyish build and her black hair is cropped into a page cut. She has a stern look of one who is all business, no pleasure.

Drav hasn't had much need for clothes in some time, but now that he was among other people in a town, the old self-consciousness returns to him and he feels the need to clothe himself once more. He wanders the marketplace, looking for a vendor selling clothes. He finds a tailor shop and steps inside. There are numerous clothes hanging from hangers on little metal stands that could be spun about. Bolts of various clothes of various colors sit inside barrels next to other barrels full of dye.

A well-dressed woman steps out of the backroom. She would look fairly elegant in her apparel, were it not for the green tint to her skin and the small tusks protruding from her mouth. At least one of her parents were orcish. Her long brown hair is pulled up in a fancy bun and her silk dress seems to catch the light.

"Welcome to my shop," she says, her green eyes looking the mostly nude, bronzed skinned elf up and down. "Well, you certainly look in dire need for a new outfit. What are you looking for exactly?"

"I believe Agnas would have said otherwise if she had actually known about that money," Otaya responds. "She never knew about it, though. But more than that, there is more to the law than just following the words written by the letter and ignoring the spirit in which it was written. Laws exist to protect the people, to fortify a community. Gonto is also the goddess of community, and I think it would be wise to try and foster goodwill with the people. Especially with all of the enemies you've made already after supporting Lady Ulvorn's tax hike. I've spoken with the common folk and many of them see you as being in her pocket, bought and paid for by the aristocrats. Showing a little generosity and compassion can go a long way in soothing those feathers."

Otaya seems like she has more to say, but is interrupted by a knock at the door. Leena steps into Naras' office. "Excuse me for the interruption, kohen. But there are people here to see you. Specifically, the same mercenaries who abandoned the previous kohen that I told you about. One of them is cursed and wishes it undone. However, their pastor is unable to remove the curse herself because it is so powerful."

Walking with Naras into the main worship area, the kohen sees five people; three humans, an elf and a dwarf. One of the humans is a young woman with long black hair and wearing the sky blue vestments of a pastor of Octhanus. Pastors are the equivalent of kohens, meaning she is the same rank as Naras in her own faith. Another human is a slight, meek looking woman with platinum blonde hair and incredibly pale skin. She wears the grey robes of a Storm Sorcerer, a group of mercenary mages that often sell their combat skills to ship captains. She vaguely reminds Naras of the strange character she met in the mines--the man who called himself the Son of Crizza.

The third human is a tall, muscular man with greasy black hair and beard and a number of scars all over him. He's wearing studded leather and his eyes dart all over the place, as if he were expecting assassins to leap from the shadows at any moment. The elf is male and wears simple leather armor. He is thin and petite like most of his kind. He has blond hair with a red streak through it. Finally, there's the dwarf. While the others are all young, in their early 20s at best, the dwarf is middle aged. He walks with a bad limp in one leg and wears an unhappy grimace on his face. He's wearing chain mail and has an axe on his back.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Naras Stonebreaker (Temple of Gonto, main worship area)
The kohen responds, "I am Naras Stonebreaker. To whom do I have the honour of addressing? And may I enquire what brings you to this House of Gonto?"
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Lol. Everyone goes to the temple, but I decide to roam half-naked.)

"I have -no- idea. I guess I'm looking for anything that works."

(OOC: Nailed both the 35 years AND my CHA of 9.)
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I'm Pastor Jocelyn Blaine," she says. "This is Ouragana, and behind me are Baeros and Gallath." She motions to each one in turn. "Ouragana has been cursed. I tried to remove it myself, but it is too powerful. We were hoping that you would have some better luck."
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"I see, well the pleasure is mine, I'm sure, and I wish we were meeting under less troubling circumstances", replied Naras. "Well, I will certainly try, but as I'm sure you know,there's no such thing as absolute certainty in these things. I see that some of you are a little...battle-worn? Perhaps I could help with that too, if you wish? Of course I would ask you to try to assist the House of Gonto in return. And I'll need you to tell me all that transpired since you left on your expedition with the previous kohen. The help I would request is twofold: firstly to Identify the function or functions of some magical items. Is that within your capabilities?"

The kohen added, if if an afterthought, "Of course, the temple is always in need of something other. Repairs to the roof, a high quality anvil, means to feed the poor and so forth. ANy substantial donation would smiled on by Gonto too, perhaps to the benefit of the donor..." She gestured, making the Circle of Gonto.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn crosses her arms over her chest as she looks down upon the dwarf in front of her. "While our clothing might be a little tattered, I assure you that I have taken care of my group when it comes to healing," she says. "As for identifying any magical items that you have, I am sure I can ask our friend to do so for you, on the condition that you give us one or two of the magical items of our choice," she adds. "Also, I don't see how personal information as to what has happened to my friends and I after we were last here has anything to do with what we are asking for, so I'm going to have to deny that request. If you cannot agree to my terms, then I can assure you that I know someone in Mond that would be more than happy to help us out," she explains with an almost sweet smile upon her lips. "Actually, now that I think about it, that might be for the best," she adds thoughtfully. She wraps her arm around Ouragana, turns, and starts to lead the mage towards the exit. She motions for Baeros and Gallath to follow her with her free hand.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana lets herself be led by Jocelyn, looking confused.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Naras resisted he urge to say 'close the door after you', and made an effort to defuse the situation, "Jocelyn, if you would refuse healing from Gonto that is your business. But perhaps your friends may wish to speak for themselves as to whether they would welcome such. What happened to you is your business. But perhaps your friends may choose to make their own minds up on some things." She shrugged and continued, "What happened to the kohen of this place in which you now stand is my business. Do you refuse to tell us of this?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jocelyn, Ouragana, Baeros, Gallath and Naras (Temple of Gonto, main worship area)
"The old kohen?" asks the middle aged dwarf. "Dalaim Truestone? He disappeared months ago, everyone knows that. I knew him, back when I owned the Paragon. These folks had nothing to do with his disappearance, though."

"I think I can help with that," the woman says. She quickly puts together an outfit for Drav that is appropriate for the tropical climate. It consists of a short-sleeved, open collar shirt and some trousers. How much it costs depends on what kind of material Drav wants them made from.

Cotton - 6 SP
Linen - 9 SP
Wool - 1 GP and 8 SP
Velvet or satin - 3 GP
Silk - 6 GP
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The new kohen looks at the older dwarf, "Well, that puts a whole new complexion on things. I thought you folks..", she looks round at the others, "..were the band that she headed off with and never returned. It won't buy you lunch, and neither will I, but please accept my apologies." Naras bows with some token of contrition.

"Nonetheless, this lady, Ouragana ,needs healing. Am I correct to assume you're comfortable to work with me to try and negate this curse? If so, let's be seated and it would be helpful if you gave me some indication on how she reached this condition, the extent of the curse's affliction and approximately how long it's been in place."