Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

<JadedDM's Private Thread>

Homebrewed 2e adventure in the land of Arkantos. Arkantos is a very special place, as most activity is not on the ground or in the sea, but in fact in the skies above. Sky-ships are heavily implied, lest you fall into the barren wasteland of a world below the clouds...

Moderator: chese780

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: <JadedDM's Private Thread>

Post by JadedDM »

(OOC: Not sure what the +4 modifier is for. Also, is the modifier being applied to the roll or the herbalism score? If it's the latter, then a 15 means I passed (12+4 = 16) but if it was the former, then I failed as 15 is higher than 12, and I want 12 or lower to succeed.

A common phrase in this edition is 'save high/check low' which means that for saving throws, you want to roll higher than your target number for for ability or proficiency checks, you want to roll lower than your target number.)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

OOC: Is there no season modifier in this one?

Thing I read said:

ProfScore + SeasonalModifier * TimeSpent/Standard(2hours).

After that, check the roll on the number and if you succeed, one half of the difference between the two equals the number of herbs found.
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

(OOC: I don't know, I've never heard of a seasonal modifier before. :lol: I'm guessing you aren't reading any of this in the PHB.)

Having not found any herbs in this area, Aeolus decides to go check out the ruins. Perhaps there is something growing over in that area.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: I didn't find anything on Herbalism in the PHB xD It's as this. +4 summer, +2 spring, -1 winter, +1 fall. Unless the plant can only be found in said season, in which case it rotates.)

As he walks to the ruins, Aeolus can see many trees around him. Some of them are much older, with weathered bark. Others are younger, and look much more green. As he nears the crumbling temple, he can see that there are plants growing around it, but the weird thing is that, while the ruin is in a very bad shape, the door seems to be maintained... Something he hadn't noticed before.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Aeolus tilts his head and gives a soft, inquisitive chirp. Curious, he approaches the door to get a better look. He also looks around for any evidence of recent passage.

(OOC: It's chapter 5, the one on Proficiencies. Page 59, between Healing and Hunting.)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: I'll probably use that from now on,)

As Aeolus approaches the door, he cannot see any signs that the door has been opened, but there are a few plants that seem to have been stepped on, something that could just be a coincidence. The door has multiple symbols carved into it, but he cannot determine the origin of any of them.

(OOC: A few of the symbols, sorry for the text based.
___
/ /
/ /| |>
V \ \
V
__
| \ V ^
\ \_-/ /
|______/

------------------------
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

His curiosity piqued now, Aeolus approaches the door and tries to listen through it for any noise on the other side. He also looks to see if there is a mechanism to open it (a knob, for instance).
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

As he listens to the door, he can only hear the noise of a small breeze escaping through a crack, something that would normally have been a little hard to notice. When he examines the door, he finds no obvious mechanisms to open the door. The door itself is fairly smooth, excluding the etched symbols and outer bevels.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Aeolus considers the door. He isn't fond of tight spaces, so even if he gets it open, he's not sure he'd want to go inside. But nevertheless, he is curious. So he tries pushing on the door, to see if it will swing open.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Aeolus used Push on Ancient Stone Door. It was Ineffective.)

As he pushes on the door, nothing happens. It could be a false door, but the escaping air says otherwise.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Aeolus steps back and tilts his head. This was going to require all of his brain power to figure out.

(OOC: I'll make an INT check for additional clues. Failing that, I'll search for some Rare Candy so I can evolve faster.)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

INT Check (14); 5 = Pass.

Taking a closer look at the door, he notices that the symbols engraved on the door are set in a circular pattern. As he looks closer, he also sees that some of them glow slightly when he stares -directly- at them. Some of the symbols are connected by engraved lines, but others are disconnected. One of the lines is not engraved, but looks to be... drawn on.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Aeolus tries to determine if the symbols that glow when looked at are also the ones with lines connecting them, and whether the symbol with the fake line drawn to it is also glowing, and where that fake line goes (also to glowing symbols?).
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

As he stares at the symbols, it becomes clear that this is not the most simple puzzle. As he stares at one of the connected symbols, it begins to glow and a golden color spreads from the symbol to the line. As it travels, it stops moving once it reaches the end of the line. Once it stops, a few circular disc protrude from the door, creating a tiered look to it. He notices that each of the discs has a small hole in them, about the size of a finger, and there are lines on each disc.

The drawn kine also stays, but a little glowing symbol has appeared next to each of the now three segments of the drawn line. The three symbols match some of the symbols on the outer ring.

(OOC The picture broke.)
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Aeolus tries sticking his finger in the holes to see if that does anything.