Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

<Bishgada's Private Thread>

Homebrewed 2e adventure in the land of Arkantos. Arkantos is a very special place, as most activity is not on the ground or in the sea, but in fact in the skies above. Sky-ships are heavily implied, lest you fall into the barren wasteland of a world below the clouds...

Moderator: chese780

chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

<Bishgada's Private Thread>

Post by chese780 »

Kufrey 'Rey' Goterbil (Played by Bishgada)
Male Human Tinkerer 1 (??)
STR 13, DEX 14, CON 13, INT 15, WIS 13, CHA 11, Age 15, HT 5'6'', WT 163
HP: 04/04
THAC0: 20
AC: 10
Dmg:
ROF:
XP: 0/1,750
Saves: PPDM 14, RSW 14, PP 13, BW 16, S 15
Skills: Find/Disable Traps (25%), Repair Clockwork(20%), Salvage(15%), Improvement (15%)
WP: Shortsword, Shortbow, Turret (Needle)
NWP: Bartering (13), Appraising (15), Bureaucracy(15), Set Snares(13), Tumbling(14), (2)
Languages: Common,
Gear:
Head -
Neck -
Torso - Simple shirt, Backpack [2lbs]
Hands -
Waist - Belt, Simple pants, Large belt pouch [1lb], Small belt pouch [0.5lbs], Short sword [3lbs]
Feet - Simple shoes
Backpack - Bolt case [1lb], Canvas [1lb], Grappling Hook [4lbs], Iron pot [2lbs], Hooded Lantern [2lbs], Scroll case [0.5lbs], Merchant's scale [1lb], Papyrus (5), Wineskin [1lb]
Large belt pouch -
Small belt pouch - Chalk (10) [1lb], Fishhook, Flint and Steel, Whetstone [1lb], 5 ep.
(Stowed) - Nice Belt, Soft boots, Good Shoes, Wide hat, Barrette, Nice Clothing, Gloves, Earrings, Rings, Leather Jacket, Vest, Needle Turret [15lbs], Needles (100) [10lbs], Shortbow [2lbs], Flight Arrows (60) [6lbs], Quiver [1lb], 100' Rope(H) [40lbs]
Encumbrance: 19lbs (STR 13: 45lbs)
Plans:
Lvl1- (free), (free), (free)

Total: 95ep.

You can use any Clockwork weapons with only a -1 penalty, but anything else you aren't proficient in is a -3. (To hit)

I can't remember if you gain skill points right away. And you started with 100ep.

Also... I tend to forget the backpack size rules, so if you are concerned that your backpack has become a storage rift, talk to me.

Alright, there are multiple turrets, but this one is yours.

Needle Turret (1)
Setup: 1 turn
Durability: 15, SF 10, Size: L, 15lbs.
Automated:
Failure [45], ROF 2/1, 1d x 3needles x 2barrels. TH 20-AC+Modifier(Like Moving Targets).
Manual:
Failure [35], ROF 1/1, 1d x 3needles x 2 barrels. THAC0 applies.
Modifications: The more you use it, the more can be added.
-Added:
-Available: 1

Legend:
(2)Casing - Improve durability and Weight/Size, More/Less barrels.
(1-2)Needle - Needle damage/velocity improvements.
(1)Stand - Modify the stand to improve the SF and setup time.
(1-2)Barrel - Add barrels, swap barrels, put a gatling barrel maybe.
(1-3)Mechanism - Improve internal ammo storage, faster firing, more attacks a round.
(2-3)Special - These are magical enhancements or special things. Like rockets.

Parts can be swapped free of charge, and additions can be removed to make room for better things, as long as you have the part still.
Barrel A and Barrel B can be swapped for free.
Casings can be interchanged if you spend the time.
You cannot swap Part A and Part B if you do not have the replacement on you.

An example of a modified Turret:

Light Needle Turret (5)
Setup: Instantaneous.
Durability: 8, SF 5, Size: M, 7lbs.
Failure [30], ROF 5/2, 1d x 3needles. TH 19-AC+Modifier(Like Moving Targets).
Manual:
Failure [20], ROF 3/2, 1d x 3needles.THAC0 applies, +1hit.
Modifications:
-Added: (2)Lightweight Casing, (1)Lightweight Stand, (2)Auto-setup, (-1)Single Barrel, (1)Lightweight needles)
-Available:

The lightweight casing can have only 1 regular barrel (Or 2 mini, but that takes a barrel modifier), but weighs almost 6 pounds less.

Another is:

Heavy Needle Turret (6)
Setup: 2 turns
Durability: 25, SF 12, Size: L, 25lbs.
Failure [40], ROF 1/1, 1d x 3needles x Gatling(6). TH 22-AC+Modifier(Like Moving Targets).
Manual:
Failure [30], ROF 1/2, 1d x 3needles x Gatling(6).THAC0 applies, -2hit.
Modifications:
-Added: (2)Heavy casing, (1) Heavy Mounting, (2) Gatling barrel, (1) Automatic ammo feed.
-Available:

The Heavy casing weighs almost 7 pounds more, but it can hold a gatling barrel or four regular. Gatling barrels can only be pointed forward and up/down to a degree.

You can even change the ammunition and stuff, but that's all up to you to decide. Remember, you can make just about -anything-... If you have the supplies. (If you are missing stuff, I'll tell you.)
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Re: <Bishgada's Private Thread>

Post by BishGada »

OK,
I think Rey would be very young. Maybe 15. He worked in the Alchemist laboratory since he was 7!
His weight is 163 lbr and his height is 5'6" but he is not at his full height right now. In fact he is in a growth burst right about these couple of month.
He is kinda strong for carrying and building a lot of stuff for the Alchemist (I need to give him a name at some time. Let it be Chooraktas. He is from far city originally).
Rey has green eyes but his skin is tanned and his hair black and silky. His face resemble a little oriental look. It seems somewhere in his family tree the blood was mixed with oriental blood. But mostly he looks like the other humans around. He has a long scar on his shoulderblade from falling from 30' high of one of the devices the alchemist was working on. It almost completely healed but you can still see the trace. He also sometimes have a twitch in his right eye. This also started after the accident. It doesn't bother him, and doesn't interfere with his relations as it is rare and so small that easily can be accounted to as a wink. If anything it even sometimes gains him points with the ladies as they think he is more confident in himself than he actually is.

Usually during day he wear dirty yellow shirt and black pants from cloth under a grey leather apron. His skin also usually very dirty. He wears Sandals or leather light brown shoes.
At nights he wear white shirt, light blue vest, black jacket and black fancy pants, wide hat or Barrett, tie or other cloth at his neck, belt, shiny black shoes with bronze decorations for the straps, or leather boots. He also wear some rings and earings. He hangs out at bars almost every night. Seldom he visit his family. He keeps very clean and throw a little extra money around than needed to compensate on his low position during day. He tries to impress women and got himself in a lot of troubles for that. He also gambles and there he also got himself into troubles with bunch of thieves and other bad influences.

In respect to background story, he is pretty young to have something special. I think I already laid down the foundations as his family lives close by and sent him to work at young age. He got his education with the Alchemist, he is natural at improving stuff and his high Int allow him to invent stuff in the laboratory. When he was young he kept returning home. Now he lives in the laboratory and at some night spend it with a lucky lady, in a tavern room, or drunk in the gutter (depends...) He has a lot of plans for inventions in his future and requires money for that.
He had friends but with all his crazy ideas and the troubles he got himself into, currently he doesn't have any good friend. He does provide for his family if there is a crisis, but other then that he kindda living on his own. He did have two friends, brother and sister, that they were connected strongly, but their family changed location to a far city.

Character:
Hard worker, usually kind to others. Friendly, but not too open and so doesn't have currently true friends. Somewhat cocky many times it is taken as rudeness. Spontaneous. High ego which makes him argue even if there is no need to, insult back even if his opponent is much stronger and so on.
In any case Rey would try to solve his problems without the need for battle. Bribe is his first option, then running away, then trying to manipulate the other side and only then if he have to he fights.

===
What else...
If you need me I can go farther and make the background story thicker. I can dig this oriental blood and give starting point for side adventures.

About the needle gun, I just invented it on the fly. Tried to make it balanced with other weapons.
If you allow it I'll use it. It's more like a ball or ellipsoid with few funnels coming out of it's surface, and not a gun. Otherwise I guess I'll have a pistol, unless the ammo is very expensive. Then I'll take... hmmm... shurikan? or it's alike. Circular blades that you can throw and if you miss they return to you. say 20'-40'-60' range?
Can I invent the roller blades? Or skate board? Maybe add some small steam engine to it? Use it together with Tumble in battle for extra attack or reduce initiative or something like that, if I succeed in Tumble roll?

I'll also take the Ambidextirity. Seems very useful for the class.
And what do you say about the improvisation? It's not like Improvement (what is improvement anyway? :)) I assume improvement takes time while the Tinkerer improvisation will let you create useful stuff (either weapon, or improve AC, or find a way to avoid danger with the DM tips) from what he finds around him in one melee round. If not I guess I'll take 'Gaming'. It is very in character for Rey.

I'll try to work on the inventory soon.
Does the 100ep include the Bartering prof.? It suppose to give discounts and stuff.

Now about being a Tinkerer. If I understand correctly the number of plans you have depend only on intelligence and not level right?
And for me it's 6Lvl1, 3 lvl 2, 1 lvl 3
So what do I do with a plan? Suppose I have a plan to build a compass. I built it. Now I have a compass. So? the next day I create another compass? I can remove the plan and create another plan? But then what will happen to the compass? Can you elaborate more about these plans and if you have already lists on 'Common knowledge' among the Tinkerers it would be helpful. If I was so smart to actually invent new stuff I would probably have a startup company ;)
Now, if the number of plans is based only on Int, why level up as Tinkerer? The only benefit is the percentage. What are the other abilities along leveling up? It is important to know since I'm aiming a dual classing at some stage to a mage. I think the combination of Tinkerer and a mage could be devastating. :) Give some mechinary edge to the spells or the other way around...
About his alignment, Rey is Neutral Good. He is still young.... It might change along the years. :)

Thanks.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Improvement allows you to improve your existing stuff. Yes, you can use improvise. SO MUCH INFORMATION!

Actually, you start with three Lvl 1's. The INT score lists your maximum at this time. Bartering yes, more skills - working on it, and yes, you can make things.

B-B-B-Building.

How about we take your needle gun, and I up you a needle turret.

It has two adjustable barrels, each of which can shoot three needles that do 1 damage each. That goes into: 2 barrels that do 3 damage each.
It is classified as a Large weapon, has a speed factor of 10, and it weighs 15 lbs.
It takes one turn to set up and adjust, and it can fire 2 times a round.
Hit is determined by placement and if they move out of your firing range.
Or, the barrels can be set at a flat forward placement and you can control it's firing area. AKA you can move the barrel yourself and fire one set of three needles from each barrel, each turn.

Thoughts? Also, does not gain any bonuses to hit/damage from strength.

Mode 1- Setup. - Can do a max of like, 2 sets of six damage, but less chance to hit.
Mode 2- Controlled. - Better chance to hit, but only 6 damage if all needles hit.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Sounds fine but 1 turn to set up is a lot. Until I finish the battle will be over....

Let's say that in setup mode it doesn't fire on X (you decide X) first rounds, then fire only one barrel on the next (Y) rounds and from the (X+Y) round and on it fires both automatically until the ammo finish.
Also, SF 10 is only in manual mode since in setup after (X) rounds it just fires continuously.

As Rey would rise in level he would try to improve the device, make it smaller, faster (SF + ROF), more barrels, moving even in setup mode and improve damage (Heat/fire/cold/electricity).
Maybe it will fire more stuff like daggers, spears whatever...

At what level can I create the Tinkerer Armor? and how much does it cost? Can I add blowing air to improve AC vs. missiles? I just wonder if I have to buy Studded leather armor.

How does money goes? 10cp = sp, 5sp = ep? ep equals gp?

Equipment:
Fine cloth:
Belt 3sp
Soft boots 1ep
Good Shoes 1ep
Wide hat 1sp
Barrette 1sp
Good cloth (shirt + pants) 8sp
Gloves 1ep
Earings + Rings 20ep
Leather Jacket - ?? silk costs 80ep so leather is 20ep?
Vest - 6 sp

Work cloth:
Sandals - 5cp
Simple shoes - 2 sp? sounds ok?
Simple cloth - 8sp

Backpack - 2 ep [2lbr]
Large belt pouch - 1ep [1lbr]
Small belt pouch - 7sp [0.5lbr]
Bolt case - 1ep [1lbr]
Canvas (for the plans) - 4sp [1lbr]
10 Chalks 1sp [1lbr]
Fishhook 1sp - (Improve so it vibrates and lights and draws fish - possible?!?)
Flint and steel - 5sp
Grappling hook - 8sp [4lbr]
Iron pot - 5sp [2lbr]
Lantern hooded - 7ep [2lbr]
Scrolls case - 8sp [0.5lbr]
Merchant's scale - 2ep [1lbr]
Papyrus x5 - 8 ep
Quiver 8sp [1lbr]
Hemp rope - 100' 2ep [40lbr] (I might change it since it's very heavy)
Whetstone - 2cp [1lbr]
Wineskin - 8sp [1lbr]
100 needles - 200cp [10lbr]
60 flight arrows - 15 sp [6lbr]
Short bow 30ep - [2lbr]
Short sword 10ep - [3lbr]

Total:
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Any form of weapon you create can be improved, but I will put a cap on the item's improvements per level. Can't have it be able to be super powered within 1level.

Combat will almost -never- end in one round. I mean, unless there is a single enemy...

Oh, forgot to mention that I interchange round and turn a lot. Essentially, It'd take you a round to setup, then it'd be able to fire immediately next round.

It'd be like,

Round 1:
Rey sets up thing.
Round 2:
Turret fires needles
Rey can do something, or readjust it.
Round 3:
Continues to fire.
Rey can do something, or readjust it.
Round 4:
Rey decides to take manual control and just sprays into running man.
(In which THAC0 would apply now ;) )

Also, what's with the Work Cloth/Fine Cloth thing?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

OK, great. Sounds like fun :)

Well, during the day Rey works in the laboratory. He gets really dirty and messy so he have dirty cloth. He wouldn't want to ruin his good cloth.
In the nights he hangs out at bars so he put on his good cloth.

You didn't answer me regarding the money so I can sum up the costs and see if I have enough money.
And I need formal info how exactly clockwork plans works, how many improvements I have and what kind of improvements are they. For example, can I improve short sword? Improve it's balance or wieght or strength or sharpness and what will that mean? reduce encumbrance, extra attack every 3 rounds? +1 to hit? +2 dmg on rolls of 18,19,20 :)?

When can I build a tinkerer armor? And at what AC would it start? And what would be the benefit of having Tinkerer armor and not regular armor?

Can I have analogy to Cantrips? (That might be the extra non weapon proficiency. Tinkerer Cantrips/Improvisation). Small scale improvements or creations that follows the rules of cantrips in regards to their limits.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Alright, lemme give you a spreadsheet of a basic description of clockwork weps.

Clockwork weaponry has less durability (most of the time) compared to the default weapon.

They come in a couple of 'classes' and 'subclasses'
They are
1 - Shape - Blades change, more barrels, modifications to the weapon.
2 - Class - The weapon itself becomes a different weapon. (Like shortsword -> longsword.)
3 - Power - These are rarer and have certain properties built in. Like a quake hammer. Don't ask.
4 - Special - The have things that don't fit into the other spots.
5 - Unique - These are weapons that have been modified into a different thing. These are -very- rare, and very hard to create, so I won't give away too much. Just think 'more firepower.'

Subclasses of said weapons are just for me to see, as I roll the loot ;)

I'll inform you of what a looted clockwork weapon does when you activate the ability, but you will know if it's a 1-5.

As for armor, that's a level 3 thing, and you can make any piece of Tinkerer armor from the plan, but only one at a time. The armor gives AC - 3. AKA a -3 to your AC. You'll learn a 3rd level plan at lvl 5.

You can't really improve a regular shortsword, that's a weaponsmith thing, but a cw shortsword you can do at any time. It fits under teh skill.

As for the cantrip thing, you are based on time, so it doesn't make too much sense to use it.

The Improvement skill allows you to:
Improve existing items
Modify the existing improvements
And ascetic changes.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

OOC: For your bartering, I slipped in discounts and stuff. Enjoy your almost free clothing too. Also, I run a very free form story to begin with. Go wild.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rey wakes up in his room, the sounds of machinery whirring having gotten much louder since last night. The Alchemist, Chooraktas, must be working on another crazy project to be causing this much noise. Sitting up, he can see that all of his things are were he left them last night after another wild night out. His turret is sitting in the corner, laying against the wall.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Rey stretches out a bit, put on his work cloth and apron and goes to the laboratory to see what's all this noise is about. 'I hope Chooraktas didn't overload the wheels again.' he thinks to himself. 'He has great ideas but his implementations, well... his implementations suck!' Rey smiles to himself.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Just know, I know mechanisms pretty well, so try not to "I think he forgot the head-light fluid" on me :) )

As Rey walks out of his room, he walks through a short hallway towards the laboratory. As he opens the door, he sees the legs of the man looking into a large mechanical contraption with many wheels and gears on it. The entire thing is releasing a massive stream of steam towards the ceiling, which luckily has a vent in it. The sounds have become much louder as he gets closer, and finally the alchemist pops out of the hole. His white hair is covered in both oil and whatever materials were coating the port. As he notices Rey, he yells out.

"Rey! Get over here."
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"What is it??" Rey comes quickly picking up tool kit on his way. His senses telling him this is mustn't be an emergency since, well, Chooraktas is whole and on his feet, so it could have been worse.

==============================================================
(OOC: I'm not great at mechanics... so I'll just role play it the best I can and if it seems I try things at you it is only due to my ignorance.)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

======================
(OOC: Can I have gloves with gears that canhold on rope and raise me automatically. I mean the gear have small hooks and it turns aroound, the hooks at some angle stuck in the rope and after partial roll of the wheel they fold back? And if not completely automatic can it help climbing up/down?)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Head light fluid doesn't exist. It's a prank pulled on people who know nothing about how cars run.)
(OOC: Gonna have to make something to assist you :) If you can round up the supplies for something like that, it'd be a like, 40 minute or less project. Plus, you can build things without having to memorize the plans, it's just you'll need to memorize it if you want to just build it without the plans. I think I'm going to change it up a bit, because well... Those slots make no sense. It'll probably become an Engineer's notebook or something.)

The white-ish haired man looks at Rey, "Get some carbon, it's almost out of fuel!" he yells over the sound of the machine. "Should be in one of the bags in the corner!"

(OOC: Carbon in this case, if you didn't know, is coal, charcoal, or an equivalent carbon based material ;) )
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Rey runs quickly to find more carbon to add to his mentor machinery, "For gods sake! How many times do you need to break the motors running on low fuel until you either fill it in time or invent auto-filled machine?!?" he says while searching the material. "Maybe you should fill your head with some sense! Or better, shove this rug on your head that you call hair as fuel." he tries to sting as they usually jest at each other.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

From the machine, the noise is starting to die down, something that the Alchemist -clearly- doesn't want to happen. "If I lost my hair, then you'd be the handsome one. I bet if I made a machine that ran off of your arrogance, I wouldn't even -need- fuel!"

(OOC: Let the roast begin.)
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft