Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 9: Winter is Coming

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 9: Winter is Coming

Post by HorizonsDream »

~Liberated?~ Kendra asks herself. "I assume you stay in this part of Haven?" she asked. "From my understanding, isn't this the first time that you've met with some of the people of Haven?"
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Welcoming the others in, Gregeddin puts on some water to boil, lights a candle and takes a seat on the floor of the 'living room'. It was more lively than the purple light of the temple but was bland brown and beige insides. Listening to the others, Gregeddin adds, "I too think it's important to respect the secrecy and safety of others, we ought to tell some of our friends that the church is looking for clerics."

"But Shima, what plan is this you have in mind? And Tulbas what was on your mind earlier?"
The bard enquires.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Well, when I came to this city I wasn't expecting it to be like it is.. I was friendless and without much in the way of funds and the taxation is ridiculous. The first contact I made here, certainly not a friend, was a mountain dwarf that it turns out I dislike. A lot." The dwarf shrugs. "Telling you this could get me planted. I told this story to Haaque already but nobody else. I think your Minotaur colleague doesn't like me too much but I'll leave it to you who you share this with. But the more people that know a secret, the less secret it is."
Shima looks around, knowing he can go on a bit, and continues, "Well, the mountain dwarf had a half ogre friend that was wounded somehow. They think you've robbed them and left them to die, so they plan to rob you in return, using me to befriend you and case your homes and where you keep your valuables." He shrugs. "I intend to make it a double-cross, later on leading them in so they can be caught by you lot. That's it really. Nothing clever. Just friends are friends and enemies are enemies. I count the mountain dwarf as the latter."
Last edited by Chris1234 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas again listens to the others, waiting to see if he have something to add, "I agree with you Haaque, but my first concern was that we have to warn some friends as for what is happening. I don't know many clerics of true gods, and if they will announce the hunt in few days those I might know will be in grave danger." Tulbas looks at each of the other for a second to make sure they see the danger. He especially lingers on Shima wondering how much can he reveal to him. "We could throw false leads to help distract the church from the clerics tracks. Or even better, finding evil clerics as Haaque suggested. But warning them should not be delayed."
Tulbas stands and walks around the room, "by the way, I hope the two that stole the money dont know any true cleric, and What about the Minotaur and his friend? And where are they anyway? Do you still want to work with them? They seemed like great muscle."
After Shima tells his story Tulbas considers his words carefully and says, "We did have an argue with those two... They joined us on the quest to slay a giant that terrorizes the area, and tried to backstab us just after we finished him off. Thanks for the warning." Tulbas finishes, but to himself he thinks, 'now we will have to watch him carefully so he won't triple cross us too... I wonder why he considers us his friends so quickly...' he looks at Gregeddin trying to read his reactions to Shimas story.
If no one adds to the conversation Tulbas will gesture to Haaque to join him and exit and outside will ask him if he knows where Grubnick is staying.
======================================
(OOC: does Tulbas knows where Grubnick stays?
I missed mgbevan post and had to rewrite everything :)
And then when I finished, Chris ninja posted me and I had to rewrite again!)
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

"I'm bandaging it because it should not be healed," Arulia explains to Cassilda. "If you go into the forge tomorrow without a bandage, what will the person who gave that wound to you think? And how will you explain it other than that your sister can channel the power of a forbidden god?"

Turning to Camilla, Arulia continues. "Yes, there are old gods other than the Dragon Queen, and she does not look kindly on those who follow them. I don't know why they can't act directly in the city, either, but maybe they don't have an army like she does. Or maybe they don't work through conquest and war." She sighs sadly. "I wish I knew how they plan to help, but I don't," she admits.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Kendra Greylock (Prefect's Mansion, Ballroom)
"Yes, I haven't really had the time to leave the mansion, never mind the noble district, since I arrived," Tethys says. "Running this city consumes most of my time. Perhaps I should delegate more, but it's difficult to find good help that one can trust."

He continues, "And yes, this is the first time I've met with citizens, at least in a social sense. But I felt everyone's hard work should be celebrated, and a party seemed just the way to do so."

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
"Oh, yeah," Cassilda says. "I hadn't thought of that." After Arulia is done bandaging her, she asks, "But this old god must have given you this power for a reason, right? What are you supposed to do with it? Can we free the city with it?"

"Why don't they have armies of their own?" asks Camilla. "Are they just weaker than her? If they can't stand up against her, how can anyone else?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra slowly cuts into her food, and takes a few bites. "If you do look to delegate, I would suggest using someone from Haven," Kendra suggests. "Only the people of Haven know what it is like here," she explains.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Calm before the storm... he murmurs to the plainswoman. I may stay elsewhere from time to time... he continues quietly, But i'd like to keep the sameroom here each night, if there's no inconvenience to you... I'll pay for the room's use whether I'm here or not, of course. He sips his ale while he waits for the food.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas takes some distance from Gregeddin house and tells Haaque, "I'm going to see Gobax before heading home. Since it is in the same direction of the Tankard, we can discuss a bit on the way... When you recruited the two who stole from you, did they say anything about themselves that might help us finding them? Something unique about them?"
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

(How much was 10%?)
"It was (X). 10% amounts to (Y) No, there was no way they were professional enough to be part of the guild."
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Well they did say that they'd fought both Sligs and Trogs. I don't know if that's any help. They also said that they're pretty good, although they seemed unwilling to demonstrate or elaborate on that at all."
Veni Vidi Vici
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

"I don't know why they don't have armies," says Arulia. "Maybe they do, but they aren't here. Maybe the Dragon Queen surprised them when she built her own, and they haven't had a chance to make theirs yet." She shrugs. "I think that it's because not all of them work the same way she does. Not all are evil, so they don't use armies to demand their worship. Maybe they'll build armies to fight against her, but they didn't need them before."

Arulia shrugs again at Cassilda's question. "I don't know why Fizban chose me," she says. "Maybe he can see a reason that I can't. All I know is that I'm supposed to spread the word of his return, but I don't know how to do even that if I want to avoid being taken by the Dragon Queen's people. And I'm supposed to help people in need, but again, I have to be careful about it. Maybe I'll find a way to free the city, but I don't know how to do it yet." She sighs sadly. "I don't even know how to save our family."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae, Tulbas and Gobax (High Hand Inn, Common Room)
Just as Gobax's food arrives, the door swings open and Haahqae and Tulbas step inside. They see the goblin at the bar.

The elderly plainswoman who owns this place tends the bar. There aren't many people about, as it is nearly curfew.

An old woman in her late 60s sits by the fire, nursing a drink. Another woman, half the age of the first one, wears an eye-patch over one eye and sits alone in a dark corner. A third woman, about the same age as the second, quickly finishes a meal at a table with a dwarven woman.

Two men sit at the bar, drinking. Both wear heavy cloaks with the hoods up. A trio of kapaks sit at a table alone, watching the newcomers carefully.

Kendra Greylock (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems)
Tethys chuckles at her suggestion. "Is that so? I suppose I'll have to keep an eye out for a trustworthy local." He gives her a wink.

The rest of dinner passes without incident. Afterwards, Tethys says his farewells to each guest as they leave. "I hope to see you again, soon," he tells Kendra as the butler retrieves her cloak for her.

She and Norris walk back to their home, perhaps a little tipsy from all of the expensive wine they've had. Once back inside, out of the chill, they head upstairs to change for bed.

"That went well, didn't it?" asks Norris as he fumbles with the buttons on his shirt. "I mean, I have to admit. I half expected you to draw a sword from somewhere and start hacking at everyone. But really, it was a nice time, despite the circumstances. We should go to parties more often."

He gives up on the buttons, sitting down on the bed and instead starts to remove his boots. "Things are going pretty well for us, don't you think? I mean, considering? They could be better, but...we're in a good place, I think. Maybe we should talk about...you know...expanding our family?"

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
"Wow, this is so exciting," Cassilda remarks. "Like something out of the old stories. Do mother and father know? Does Niniva?"

Camilla shakes her head. "Sounds like you got a bad deal. You were given power, but you can't use it in front of anyone without getting in trouble. You have to spread the word, but can't trust anyone. You have to free the city, but with no army and no dragons. Whole thing sounds more like a curse."

Felran and Ne-Chanz (Grinning Goat Tavern)
The barman shrugs. "Sure, I can keep an eye out for them. Where are you staying, in case I need to contact you?" he asks.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Good day Golbax, or maybe not a good day, but good to see you today none the less. Quite a few things could have gone gooder today if you ask me however that's what what I'm here about. Sort of. The thing is while we were on our way back to our homes today we dropped by the temple to give a report on our mission progress and the priestess was rather critical about it. So we have a new task that you might be quite interested in hearing about. Is there perhaps somewhere we can go to talk about it in private?"
Veni Vidi Vici
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Shima asks, "Gregeddin, is that done for the day? Or is there something I can help with? And would you have any food or water to spare?"