Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 9: Winter is Coming

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 9: Winter is Coming

Post by djhyland »

Arulia winces at the burn on Cassilda's hand and takes it gently into her own. "I'm going to show you a secret," she says. Drawing on Paladine's power, she channels it into her sister's burned hand. Once the angry wound disappears back into healthy flesh, she carefully wraps it back up in a clean bandage. She raises her eyes to her sister's and holds her gaze. "Now, will you tell me what is really happening?"

(OOC: Arulia is casting a cure moderate wounds spell on Cassilda.)
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin chooses to hold his silence at the Priestess' offer, mission, treachery, whatever name he allocated to it, it didn't seem quite right. That way of thinking reminded him too much of the Seekers.
He keeps his expression blank, hopefully not to visible in the purple light. He wondered what the acolytes were capable of, if they could scry the location of beings, maybe they could divine into his thoughts, so no need to give of any tips or suspicions. He asks nonchalantly "So what's going to be the deal with the weapon passes anyway? I thought that they were going to be void. What would you be giving us to show to the guards?"
Afterwards, Gregeddin indicates his readiness to leave but waits for the others to conclude anything further in the temple.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"My family situation is a little bit more different than that I'm afraid," Kendra admits. "While I have younger siblings, I was too busy trying to figure out ways for us to survive because we were so poor," she explains. "Though, I understand what you are getting at." Though, she didn't see how that was going to work out for them in the end considering that not only where they fighting everyone else, but they were fighting each other too. "And how is a brothel going to benefit me?" she asked curiously. "Unless you plan to have males there. Though, on that note, I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't be too happy about that idea."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae, Gregeddin, Tulbas and Shima (Temple of Takhisis)
"Nothing," the high priestess answers to Gregeddin. "Why would you need new weapon permits? The new job is to find and report heretical clerics, not fight them. But if you succeed in this task, you will be granted permanent ones, as I said."

Kendra Greylock (Prefect's Mansion, Ballroom)
Tethys cocks his head at Kendra. "I, uh...meant that the extra income would mean more resources and pay for the soldiers. That money can do far more good in my hands than in the high priestess'."

The old butler that greeted Kendra when she arrived approaches and whispers something to Tethys. "Ah, dinner is ready." He claps his hands to get everyone's attention. "Let us head to the dining hall." He then offers his arm to Kendra. "Why don't you sit with me, my dear. I'd love to talk more about the war, or whatever else you may wish to discuss."

The dining room tables have been filled with plate and plate of food. There's probably enough here to feed the entire city almost. It all smells amazing.
Feast.jpg
Feast.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
Cassilda watches with amazement as the burn heals completely, leaving no trace that it ever existed. She looks at the now flawless skin on her hand dumbly, quite speechless.

Camilla, though, who was in the room and saw the whole thing, is not nearly as stunned. "How did you do that?!" she demands loud enough for the whole house to hear. She grabs Cassilda's hand and looks it over, trying to discover some trick or falsehood to explain what she just saw.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Forgive my misunderstanding" the bard replies. "I never thought I was so keen to fight everything that moves." He says to no one in particular, reflecting on himself aloud. He indicates to the group he is ready to depart if they have nothing else to add.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"In deed, let us take our leave. Good luck to all in finding these false prophets." Haahqae will make his way towards out with the group.
Veni Vidi Vici
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra flushes in embarrassment. "I'm just a little nervous. Forgive me," she admits as she takes his arm. She looks at the food being served with wide eyes. Feasts like this were very rare to her. "So, uh, how did you end up being in charge of pretty much everything in Haven?"
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas listens carefully to the high priestess suggestion and then to the other members comments. For a moment temptation eludes him, 'to be free of Magnus! Maybe even get rid of him once and for all.' but then he thinks, 'and then what? Be a slave to this priestess? Keep progress by constant evil? Never having real friends' he looks at the eyes of the other three that risked their own life to save his for a moment 'and always looking behind my shoulder? That would be a disgrace to all my family if not my kind. Raetmal, Mother, and especially Father who always was kind and protected the weak. Even on his dieing moment. No, there is no way I'm following this path. I'll find a different way to deal with Magnus.'

As they all seem to be ready to leave he seriously says, "we won't fail you this time" bows courtly and turns to the path of purple lights.
After they are all out he asks his companions, "I think we need to speak in private. Care for few minutes at Gregeddin house if he will have us, or do you want to go home?"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Shima replies, not having said much for a while, "I'm staying at Gregeddin's for tonight at least. But it would be good to talk."
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Arulia glances away from Cassilda's eyes for a moment to acknowledge Camilla's question. "I started having dreams a few weeks ago," she says, "dreams of war and dragons and death, even before the Dragon Queen's armies came to Haven. But they weren't just nightmares: there was another in the dreams, another of the old gods. He warned me of these dark times, but he also told me to have hope so that things might get better. It is his power that healed Camilla, not mine."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Sure, I could go today, but soon we're going to have to be much more careful about going out places late at night. That permit wasn't only for weapons."
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae, Gregeddin, Tulbas and Shima (300 Market Street, Gregeddin's House)
The four follow the path of purple lights back to the entrance. They have an hour or so before curfew kicks in, so head to Gregeddin's house in the market district. It's a nice place that contains a master bedroom, a guest room, a living room, and a kitchen. However, it is quite devoid of furniture so far.

Kendra Greylock (Prefect's Mansion, Ballroom)
Tethys pulls out the chair next to the head of the table for Kendra to sit. Once she does so, he then sits at the head of the table. Norris takes the seat next to Kendra quietly.

"Like any soldier, I slowly climbed the ranks," Tethys replies. "Shortly after I was hatched, I was assigned to the Red Dragonarmy where I served under the previous Highlord, Phair Caron. I was among those who survived the attack on Silvanesti, although she did not. When Lord Verminaard took over, he was impressed with my skill and offered me a new position, as a flight marshal."

Tethys uses a knife and fork to cut his food thoroughly before eating it. "I've learned that most humans prefer the company of their own kind and usually only use our kind as shock troops, at best. But Verminaard is clever and wise. He recognizes the skill and intelligence of others, regardless of their species. That's part of the reason he has so many draconians in his army. He sees our true value. And he saw mine. Recognizing my talent for leadership, he hand picked me to be prefect after Haven was liberated."

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
Cassilda, still in awe, asks, "But if you healed my hand, why are you still bandaging it? It feels fine now."

Camilla makes a face, like she smells something fishy. "There are other old gods? Then how come none of 'em are doing anything about the one that's taken over the city?" she asks. "Can't they drive her away or something?"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Nice place, Gregeddin, thanks. That temple was a bit... creepy," offers Shima. "Do you suppose it's right about returning gods? And clerics?" he adds, hopefully.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Of course it's right about the returning gods and clerics, it would almost take a fool not to notice it. However, most of the clerics of returning gods have been very nice since then and I haven't yet found one I'd want to turn in to Takhisis. The real tricky part is finding one that I actually want to turn in. You see, I severely doubt Takhisis wants us to turn them in so that she can brew up a pot of coffee and talk over the latest mine-cart designs. Maybe if I found a cleric of Chemosh or Hiddukel or something I'd be able to turn them in for the reward. Or maybe even Belzor, I wonder if he counts since he's a profit of a false god."
Veni Vidi Vici
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Sounds like a plan," replies Shima. "And makes my plan seem pathetic and insignificant."