Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Naras' Vignette

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Naras' Vignette

Post by JadedDM »

"I do not know anything about Weatherby or his family," Leena replies. "But I think they might be farmers or ranchers or something similar, so probably not." She then departs.

After saying some prayers, she picks up the old journal and flips through it. It is very old and many of the entries are no longer legible. But from what she can read, it appears to have belonged to one of the miners who worked there before it was abandoned.

The final entry reads, "They've had me working down here for days now. It's not the time that's getting to me though, it's these tunnels. I've told them countless times now to add extra supports to the weak sections of tunnel. If only we had more of those wooden beams that we reinforced with bronze bottoms. Honestly, if I hear the earth shift one more time above my head I'll be so stressed I may stop drinking for good. I mean, what's a dwarf without his ale?"

When Leena returns, Naras asks her how she is feeling. "I am in optimal health," she replies. "And I suffered no injury in the mine. Why do you ask?"

===========

(OOC: As per the rules in the DMG, it will take two weeks for her to research the new spell. At the end of this time, a WIS check is made. If failed, she has to research for another week, and so on, until the check is made. Also by the rules of the DMG, it should cost most of the money she has, so I'm thinking around 200 GP or so.)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

OOC: Intention is to try to establish the lower power (L1) spell that acolytes could use in Naras's absence and then the higher level spell (L2 from memory) that might be beyond them. This has no adventuring use that I can see, it's just an overlooked necessity for internment.
=========
The dwarf answers Leena, "I had understood that you were fine physically, but one's first involvement in battle often leaves one feeling upset and so forth. Hence I did not ask are you physically well rather how do you feel. So why did we accept of the body of Mr Weatherby if we believe his internment could not be paid for?" The kohen pauses, hoping to hear some coherent answer on internment strategy.
After hearing Leena's reply, Naras reaches to the nearby table and says, "Here, this is for the library, from the long-dead dwarven miner. And here, this is yours from our 'outing'." She passes the book, and then indicates a pile carefully counted out on the table. "The small garnet is worth 100GP but Hubert, who doesn't like me, would only give me 90GP for it. If you choose to sell it to him, don't accept less than 90GP. If you manage to get more than 100GP out of him then it's all your and good for you. But if he gives you between 90GP and 100GP then bring the receipt or bill of sale to me and I will make up the difference. I intend to start an armourer's shop on the temple grounds. If you wish to invest in that, then you can, just tell me..Now, how do you feel, mentally?"

=========
OOC: Is it now about 6pm? Or..? And, on asking the acolytes, what is there in the temple for doing paintings or other materials for doing a study for a painting?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Naras wrote:"I had understood that you were fine physically, but one's first involvement in battle often leaves one feeling upset and so forth. Hence I did not ask are you physically well rather how do you feel."
"The battles did not upset me," Leena says. "I am still...adjusting to all of the changes that have taken place here in the past few days."
Naras wrote:So why did we accept of the body of Mr Weatherby if we believe his internment could not be paid for?"
"With no kohen, we weren't sure what to do. Atoya is a bleeding heart and Agnas was friends with him, so both wanted us to take him in, even though we couldn't offer a Glyph of Warding. I eventually consented temporarily, on the condition that the new kohen would make a more permanent choice once they arrived."

Leena accepts the garnet and 170 GP. "Thank you," she says. She hands 27 GP back to her for her tithe.

=============

Naras gives Leena a garnet (100 GP) and 170 GP.
Leena tithes 27 GP to the church.

(OOC: It's around 6 PM, sure. And there are no art supplies at all in the church.)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I see", says the dwarf, nodding. "Glad you're ok... long as you're sure. If you decide you want to talk sometime, just say."

She pauses, absorbing what Leena has told her, then replies, "I understand about Mr Weatherby. His family are devout followers? And up to day on their tithes? If not, get Atoya to have a word with them.. I expect to see them regularly in the temple and for their tithes to be up to date before the festival. We will honour what has gone before, for the sake of Agnas, if nothing else, and I will provide a Glyph or Warding in a couple of days. Atoya can think that I've assumed they paid it already. This is not to set a precedent though, you understand? Tell Atoya that I want to get, so far as possible, all tithes up to date before the festival. If I have to go and talk to people, she can draw up a list. But such things are better sorted out without me becoming involved."

Lost in her thoughts for a minute, Naras almost doesn't notice Leena try to hand back 27GP. She closes Leena's hand over the 27GP, adding, "No, I've already deducted the tithe before doing the sharing out. That's all yours. Now, where in town would you advise me to look to get painting materials, for doing portraits and so on? And when is the best time for going to see Ceril's family? Where is their residence? And finally, where in town would you advise me to look to get magical things identified? Maybe traded, too?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I'll...speak with Otaya then," Leena says. "And you tithed the pool itself? I'd suggest you not tell Pearl about that. As for painting supplies, I'd suggest the marketplace. I'll see if I can find out where Ceril's family lived, as well. I don't know any wizards, but I can look into that, as well."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

""Thank you, Leena. And can you also find out where Agnas's granddaughter lives too. I need to tell her of Agnas," Naras adds.
After Leena has left, the kohen counts out 158GP, which includes 34GP if her own money, and passes this on to Otaya, "Here, this is for the temple's funds, tithes including something else that I owed."
After a bite to eat she returns to her room and settles down to study the smelting book for a couple of hours and then fishes out some writing materials and spends an hour or so working on some sketches of the High Merchant, Lady Ulvorn, and then studies the smelting for another hour or so before heading off to bed.

In the morning, rising about 6.30, Naras prays for two spells, Speak with Dead twice. Then after a wash and breakfast she tells one of the acolytes that she's off to the mine for some scrap metal and leaves with the cart.

En route to the mine, Naras pops into the weaponsmith's shop, greeting him with, "Morning Roken, I'm off to get some scrap metal for me to practice with. Oh and I'd like you to start putting together an armourer's shop for me on the temple grounds. Just for metal armour at the moment, but allow room for expansion in case we decide to do leather some time in the future." She gives him the large garnet {OOC: appraised at 500GP} and the amethyst {OOC: appraised at 100GP} "Tell me if it costs any more than that. And the temple won't expect any tithes from you for the duration, just put together the best armourer's shop that you can, in veneration of Gonto, funded by those gems, please. I was thinking about the battleaxe. It's the same strength of magical aura as the spear you sold me. Same as this shield too. So, I would take it as a personal favour, please tell me, if you already owned the shield and the battleaxe, what would have been your asking prices? 120GP each? Or...?"

After listening to Roken's responses, she heads off to the mine with the cart, hopefully reaching it more quickly in the daylight.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Leena agrees and Otaya takes the 192 gold pieces, promising to tithe 19 of them to the church headquarters.

The next morning she visits Roken. She gives him the last two gems and he agrees to use them to start building a forge on the temple grounds. He also admits that his asking price for the spear and shield would have depended on how much he thought the customer had. The types who usually buy such things are usually flush with gold and so can afford quite a bit.

She then takes the cart and heads back to the mine. This takes several hours, but when she arrives she finds that it is now guarded by a warden. The warden explains that the mine and everything within has been claimed as evidence in an on-going investigation of what happened here and that only authorized personnel may enter.

===============

Naras gives 158 GP to the church.
The Narin church treasury increases 142 GP. It now contains 182 GP.
The Temple of Gonto headquarters receives 16 GP.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

{OOC: "..158GP, which includes 34GP..", i.e. a total of 158GP, so 16GP ro headquarters.}

=========

Naras replies, "Well your investigation would probably go better if you were able to talk to the gang members, other than just the one I captured for you. I can do that, but it needs to be now or else it won't work. So then, are you in charge here? Or else who is?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"My orders come from the Highwarden herself, ma'am," the warden states. "Unless you can show me papers signed by her giving you permission to participate in this investigation, I cannot allow you to enter."

===========

(OOC: Updated my last post to reflect the edit.)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"That's completely fine. I'm sure the High Warden will completely understand that you didn't take the only opportunity that we'll have to get statements from the dead on the the intended threat of war to the island," Naras says, then turns to leave, abandoning the cart. "You know, if you you're not allowed to enter, you could always fetch two of the dead out here. I was here when they died you, you know. So I can tell you the best ones to talk with. You could put them back afterwards. Might stop a war.. and save a lot of lives."

If the Warden can't compromise one way or the other she says, "I understand. I'm sure the the lost opportunity isn't your fault,"" and heads back to town without the cart, and goes back into the weaponsmith's place. She will hustle back (trot for 5 minutes then walk for 5 minutes.) {OOC: I'd gues probably give Movement 8"}
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"The dead have already been removed," the warden replies. "They were taken back to the keep. I'm sorry, it's out of my hands. I have my orders."

With that done, she hurries back to town and to the weaponsmith's shop. Roken is speaking with some laborers he's hired to help build the new forge at the temple.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

She waits patiently.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Not wanting to interrupt, Naras waits patiently.

"Okay, everyone understand? Meet at the temple at sundown then." He dismisses the workers then turns to Naras. "Oh, sorry about that. It took me awhile to find anyone willing to work with...one of my kind. But when I mentioned it was for the temple, that helped."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I understand. It will take a while foor people to come round. Some never will, of course. Anyway, couldn't get any metal; the mine's under warden guard. Never mind. Of you hear of anyone that's already got some skill in metal-smithing and needs a position, do let me know. Too early yet of course. just saying before I forget."
She pauses, and smiles at Roken, then continuing, "And thank you for setting it all up. I, the temple, are very appreciative. OK, one final thing, I could do with some coin. I now want to sell you the battleaxe. It's the same magic strength as the spear you sold me. I was going to ask you for 60GP for it. And if you don't have all the coin tight now, it's fine, you could pay what you can and owe me the rest. Was do you say?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I'm sorry, but I'm not looking to buy anymore right now," Roken says. "I haven't unloaded all of the stuff you've already sold me. And now I'm going to have to spend most of my time working on your armory, which means I will have less time to run my shop. I don't have any apprentices, so when I'm not here, I'm losing sales. I appreciate what you've done for me, but I'll be bankrupt at this point within the month if I don't draw the line somewhere."