Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)

A place to leave general messages and, of course, a link to the main site. The Planet
Forum rules
All messages should be kept clean; religious and political comments will be deleted straight away.

This forum is for players registered in games on this site only.

See The Planet for more details and the main site.
Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)

Post by Haahque »

So gnomes wear clothes? OP!
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

I didn't seem to be able to connect with anyone today, so I pulled out Hikor and leveled him up again, he's now level 13 (12 cleric, 1 fighter). I'm really quite pleased with how his build seems to be coming together, yay!
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Man, I don't know how you do it. I've never made it past level 5, myself. Then again, even in real D&D, I've never made it past level 2, so...

Anyway, I had a couple of questions. First, I have a long sword and a mace. The long sword does a bit more damage, but the mace just feels right. Maybe because I grew up on 2E. But is there much of a reason to keep both? I know a mace is better against skeletons and a sword is better against zombies, but aside from that?

Second, I seem to have hit my limit for coin. I can't sell stuff anymore, because the game says I'm at my limit for my level. I've bought three hireling contracts, but just hit the limit again. Any good gold sinks I'm overlooking?
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Yeah skeletons vs zombies is the main reason to have slashing/bludgeoning damage. This surprisingly stays relevant much longer then I would have thought before, since skeletons and zombies do show up in mid and high level quests as well, with even more DR vs each damage type (especially at higher difficulties). Also, some slimes split if you kill them with slashing/piercing, but not with bludgeoning. However, due to how he's built (battle cleric), Hikor has to use a longsword and just does enough damage to make it work against everything (although slimes and rust monsters are annoying since he hasn't found an ever bright longsword yet.)

One of the main reasons NOT to keep 2 weapons is because improved critical requires you to pick a weapon group, which starts being a factor for clerics at about level 12, however if you're not focused on melee damage, IC might not be manditory (as it is on say, fighters).

My rule is usually, if this weapon is better then my main weapon at any job that I deem useful at any point, keep it and have it on a hotbar to switch to it quickly. Two specific enchantments which I like on weapons are everbright (does not take item damage from slimes and rust monsters) and ghost-touch/ghostbane (ignore miss chance due to incorporeal). Even if I have weapons that are just +1 with either of these enchantments, I'll keep it on my hotbar to use instead of a +5 weapon of killing things quickly, if I come across the enemies that they're good against.

As for gold sinks - unfortunately I don't have this problem but here's what I spend gold on:
Hireling contracts -> They're good to have, and I'm pretty sure they take almost no weight so don't need to worry about encumbrance. You can even get higher level hirelings, predicting that you'll level before needing the hireling. If you're a healing-cleric, I would suggest fighter probably, maybe barbarian, although everyone else always loves getting healing-cleric hirelings.
Bag upgrades -> They cost about 8,000 for the medium size collectible bags, and they're a fair improvement over the free small ones you get from NPC's.
Bank upgrades -> I think these take house K favor? Anyways, it's nice to have a 2nd or 3rd tab in your character's personal bank, and it costs some plat to do so.
Spell ingredients -> if you're a caster, just pick up stacks of hundreds or thousands of each of these that you use.
Potions -> Heroism, Healing/Mana, Remove bad status effects. Alternatively if you have the UMD, get wands.
Auction House -> Are you using some gear that gives you very little bonus or is a really low level? It's worth checking out the auction house to see if you can get an upgrade for a few plat.

Or, if you want you can send it to me and ask for it back at any time, if you trust your money in my hands :) I have effectively no limit due to spending any money on the game at least once.

Oh, and it might be nice for you to update my character list on the first page, it should read:
Haahqae (Halfling Wizard 2/Rogue 2), Hikkor (Half-Orc Cleric 12/Fighter 1)
NewSelvera no longer exists, Hikkor's name is spelled wrong -> I like that list to be updated so I can get people on my friends list :|

As for how I do it... 1 hour per day goes a long way, if you can spare it on that day.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Anyone going to be free for some DDO today? I should be on in 1 to 1 and a half hours if anyone expresses interest.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, I can try and make that.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

So, uh, I made a guy, and I was tired. So, everyone meet Gallathius Stormwolf, Ranger 1/ Sorcerer 1.
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Welcome to the game. What do you think so far?

I'll add your character name to my friend's list next time I log on.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

It's fun! Have to figure out how to use my new Steam Controller with it, but I like it. Also, Ranger/Sorcerer is hilarious.
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Cool welcome! And convince Jaded to finish farming up a guild so Hikor can get it a few thousand XP real quick.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

I found this on the official DDO forums and I thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd share the link: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.p ... ost5770014

The basic premise is that someone took the storyline/quests from (some of) DDO and turned them into a D&D campaign (4th edition) for a party that's never played DDO before, and posted the results.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I actually thought about doing something like that once. But it wasn't for DDO.

The main problem is that if your players know the story from playing the game, they can second-guess things. Then again, I suppose that's true for any module, though.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Coming soon!
Attachments
Gnome.jpg
Gnome.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 13089 times
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

So I played a bit today. Got Hikkor up to level 17 (12 cleric, 5 fighter). He's also got 15,000 guild renown just waiting to pour it into a guild. (This is, from what I can tell, quite a lot).

EDIT: Hikor now level 19. After some consideration I decided to switch his 2 last levels back over to cleric, since the 2 weapon power I could get from 2 more levels of figher didn't seem to compete with the 2 caster levels and extra mana I could get on his cleric spells from 2 levels of cleric. This means he's currently level 13 cleric and 6 fighter, and I'm quite pleased with how he's turning out. There's a lot of numbers, but basically he reduces incoming physical damage from at-level enemies by about 85% (either through AC/Dodge/blur etc or through DR/physical resist), he has over 100% fortification. He also reduces incoming magic damage by about 50%, which makes mages still sort of dangerous. As for damage, he can get something close to 1d12+40, and I'm closing on double damage per hit through critical profile, melee power, double strike chance and attack speed.

The scary part is quests can still kill him.
Last edited by Haahque on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I'll try and log some time this weekend. Admittedly, I've been wrapped up in STO. Horizon bought me a new ship for my birthday, and I've been busy collecting gear for its build and setting it up.