Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

Post by JadedDM »

"I do not believe the extraplanar creatures the Wyvern mentioned were the oni," Thaddeus remarks. "If the oni are extraplanar, then they could not possibly be related to ogres, which are of this world." He strokes his chin in thought. "The hellhounds, maybe? But as far as I know, they do not regenerate. So I'm not sure why the Wyvern would be excited about that."
xelphyn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by xelphyn »

"The dimensional anchor was mentioned as a security measure..." Dahn says as he checks the armoire.
"It's likely meant to defend against the same thing as that bracelet... Thadeus have you ever seen a portal to the lower planes? I'm starting to think we might today, If so, we're looking at a problem much bigger than these Oni."
I don't blow minds, I blast brains.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Dahn's reaction was unexpected. Baeros pity him and let the Oni matter drop. 'Oh... you don't know about that crap called ogres... but you will learn soon...' he thinks to himself. "As far as I'm concerned I'll make sure your village won't lose his last member." Baeros tells Dahn and then retires to a different dark corner and tries to calm himself down.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Baeros," Jocelyn says calmly, after his little outburst. "Do you trust me?" she asks curiously. She then looks to Thaddeus. "Those fiends that he mentioned, the Tanar’ri, Baatezu, and Yugoloth. I've never heard of those before, so maybe they can be extraplanar, whatever that means," she says. "And what is this Great Wheel he mentioned?"
xelphyn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by xelphyn »

"The great wheel..." Dahn strokes his chin as he ponders the phrase.
" I know that sounds familiar... Ah yes, it was mentioned in the first spell book I st- ah, found. I don't remember much about it though, it seemed kinda boring at the time, so I skimmed over it."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Granite wrote:"Thadeus have you ever seen a portal to the lower planes? I'm starting to think we might today, If so, we're looking at a problem much bigger than these Oni."
"No...not personally," Thaddeus admits. "I have read about them, of course. But my first hand experience with the other planes is...somewhat limited."

"Ha! I guess that's what you get for staying inside reading books all day," Brock says. "We ran into creatures from another whatsit--plane, or whatever you call it--back in Deimos. Those big frog things."

Granite opens up the armoire and discovers half a dozen robes (all black), a few pairs of boots, and a beautiful shawl the color of the sky on a clear day.
Sky Blue Shawl.jpg
Sky Blue Shawl.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
Jocelyn wrote:"Those fiends that he mentioned, the Tanar’ri, Baatezu, and Yugoloth. I've never heard of those before, so maybe they can be extraplanar, whatever that means. And what is this Great Wheel he mentioned?"
Thaddeus looks at Jocelyn with some surprise. "Uh, oh, really? I would have thought if anyone would know of such things, it would be you. Did they not teach you this when you were studying to be a priestess? Well, the Great Wheel refers to the Outer Planes beyond our own mortal existence. They make up the 'afterlife' in layman's terms. They consist of the heavens, the hells and everything in between. It is said that when a person dies, their soul is placed on the Great Wheel, and where they end up is based on how they lived their life."

He continues, "Tanar’ri, Baatezu, and Yugoloth are creatures from the lower planes of the Great Wheel. Laymen know them as demons, devils and daemons more commonly. Tanar'ri are from the Abyss, Baatezu from the Nine Hells or 'Baator' as it is sometimes called, and Yugoloth from the Grey Waste, sometimes called 'Hades.'"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Could it be that the Helmed Horrors have something extraplanar to them?" Ouragna muses. "After all, it is unusual that something gets stronger when hit by a magic missile"
There's more to me than meets the eye...
xelphyn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by xelphyn »

Dahn grabs the shawl and offers it up.
"I think this might be the shawl the orb mentioned, who likes blue?" He asks tossing the prize onto the bed as he moves to the drawer in the nightstand.
"Nice boots in there too, I'm sure some of you could use a new pair. Might as well grab 'em, they won't fit me, and good boots are hard to come by."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Baeros was about to answer Jocelyn he trusts her, but the conversation quickly took a different course so he keeps quiet waiting for Jocelyn to continue.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

"I'll take a pair of boots"
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, uh," Jocelyn says, glancing down at her feet. It was one of the few times that she ever looked embarrassed. "I guess maybe I was absent the day they taught that stuff," she explains sheepishly. She glances over to the shawl, and picks it up.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Breila wrote:"Could it be that the Helmed Horrors have something extraplanar to them?"
"I suppose it's possible," Thaddeus admits. "I don't know how they were constructed. But I don't believe that is what he was referring to. He mentioned them by name in the recording, so presumably they already existed at that point."

Gallath checks out the boots, but sadly they are 300 years old. The leather has hardened to the point it is nearly like stone. The shawl, strangely, is in perfect condition, though. Possibly because of the magic woven into it.

Granite opens the drawer on the nightstand and finds inside the following items: a dagger with a lightning bolt shaped blade, a silver bracelet with a red gemstone embedded into it, a key with a club or clover symbol on it, and finally a chess piece plug, specifically a knight.
Silver Bracelet.jpg
Silver Bracelet.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
Lightning Dagger.jpg
Lightning Dagger.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
Knight Plug.png
Knight Plug.png (16.93 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
Club Key.png
Club Key.png (20.62 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
(OOC: An explanation for the items:

The Shawl of Protection +1 functions just like a Ring of Protection. It offers a -1 to AC and a +1 to all saving throws. Note, however, that the bonuses do not stack with a Ring of Protection or magical armor.

The Demonward Bracelet helps protect the wearer against any fiend outsider from a lower plane, including demons, devils and daemons. Any of those creatures that attacks someone wearing the bracelet suffers a -1 to hit and a -2 to damage. In addition, the wearer can damage any fiend even without silver or magical weapons and they are immune to demonic possession, charming or mind control.

The Lightning Dagger +1 functions as a normal dagger +1, with two caveats. First, on a critical hit or backstab, the dagger discharges an additional 1d6 electrical damage (this is in addition to the extra damage from a critical hit or backstab). Second, the dagger can hold a charge. If the blade is exposed to electricity (from Shocking Hands, for instance), the dagger will retain the power for up to 24 hours. The wielder can discharge that power at will, causing additional damage. The dagger can hold a maximum of 10 points of damage at a time. Also, it is strongly recommended you do not use it underwater.)
xelphyn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by xelphyn »

Dahn takes the dagger, and, after a moment of inspecting it to figure out how it functions, cast shocking grasp on it. He then offers up the rest of the items.
(Ooc: does the owner of the lightning dagger need to be holding it to active it? Or can it be thrown then activated, or planted as some sort of trap?)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The dagger glows for a moment and cackles with electricity after being charged by the spell. The visual effect fades, but Granite can still feel the power inside it when he holds the dagger.

=========

Granite casts Shocking Grasp on the lightning dagger, charging it for (1d8+4): 2+4 = 6 damage.

(OOC: The dagger has no mental connection with the wielder, otherwise anyone who has ever held it could send it mental commands. So it can only discharge if being held. However, if thrown and it crits or is a backstab, it would still get the extra damage.)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Somehow... I feel attracted by that bracelet" Ouragana says dreamily, stretching out her hand. "Would anyone mind if I wear it?"
There's more to me than meets the eye...