Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

Post by JadedDM »

The party takes an hour of rest in the study. This gives them time to eat and drink, catch their breath, and think a bit on things.

Jocelyn drinks some of her water and Brock shares some rations with her. She also takes some time to think about what she is doing. They are close to acquiring that cannon, or so she hopes. Once they have it, they can use it to destroy the Poison Curse once and for all. She will finally be free and not have to hide anymore, constantly looking over her shoulder. But...then what will she do? As she rests, she feels a little more hale and energetic. In fact, she might be able to squeeze in one more prayer today.

Ouragana drinks some of her water, but has no food on her. Noticing this, Thaddeus offers a meal of dry rations from his own stock. She had not really spoken to the mage much since her awkward love confession. Could she hope to persuade him to not only go against his mother's wishes, but to feel the same way about her? As she rests, she feels a little more hale and energetic. In fact, a sudden idea for a new spell pops into her head, one that could disrupt the invisible magical auras that surround enchanted items and creatures, potentially negating them. She quickly pulls out her spellbook to copy it down, before she loses it. She also feels she could add a couple more spells to her memory today, including the new one.

Val has no food or water, so just sits there and rests. One can only imagine what she thinks about.

Baeros has no food, but does have two full waterskins. So he drinks some of one of them to cool his parched throat. He had a lot on his mind, too. Would the party honor the deal they made with the Oni? What would happen if they did? He tried to picture them riding on the Bullring with him, back to the islands. What would they do if unleashed upon civilization? And where was Hopper? There had been no sign from him since he disappeared at the front door. Was he safe, was he alive? Also, he had so far failed to find any lingerie for Terra. Perhaps there was other treasure he could procure to win her favor, though...

Gallath had some food, but no water. He does his best to eat without anything to wash it down. His wounds are severe, but do feel a little better after resting some. He thinks on how he got involved with all of this. What had started as a simple job to investigate the League had turned into something much more complicated and involved. He had always traveled alone, save for Thrax and Borak, that is. Now he was in a group--a large and diverse one, at that. And he had found a possible way of tracking down his old girlfriend...if she really was on that pirate ship, that is.

Granite has food, but no water. Fortunately, one as small as him doesn't require much of either. He eats some of his rations while resting. He had nearly died today and it was tough to shake the disquieting feeling that went along with that experience. He had spent so much of his recent life evading criminals and law enforcement alike, who were trying to kill him or lock him up. How ironic would it have been if he had been killed on an island far away from anywhere by a magical construct created 300 years ago? But he had survived, thanks to his...friends? Comrades? Companions? How did he feel about these people and how did they feel about him? These thoughts clouded his mind as he rested. At least he felt a little better now. In fact, he might be able to add a couple more spells to his memory.

Drav, ironically, had no food or water. The island had always provided, but now he was up in this mansion, helping these strangers find a weapon of great power for some reason or another. Regardless, it was his best chance to finally get off this island after over 30 years of being marooned here. He tried to remember what life was like before...people everywhere, eating food at a tavern, sleeping in a bed instead of a cramped cave. He had done well so far in adjusting to suddenly being around other people, and even meeting a fellow elf. Still, there's a part of him that wonders if he'll adjust so well once back in civilization.

(OOC:
Jocelyn can memorize one 3rd level spell.
Ouragana can memorize one 1st level spell and one 3rd level spell. Also, she is no longer in encumbrance.
Gallath is no longer in encumbrance.
Granite can memorize one 1st level spell and one 2nd level spell.)
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Re: CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

Post by Nuke »

Val lays there and sleeps.....
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn, after being lost in her thoughts, starts to pray.

(Magical Vestment)
xelphyn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by xelphyn »

Dahn prepares shocking grasp and strength, and seeing that Drav isn't eating, offers him some of his rations.
"Not the best," Dahn says in the cant "but it's food in your stomach none the less."
I don't blow minds, I blast brains.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana's spirits lift with the food offer from Thaddeus and her sudden realization that she had somehow more magic energy. She loses no time after copying the new spell and immediately begins to memorize it, as well as replenishing the Shield spell. If there is still time, she will sit down by Thaddeus's side and whispers "Don't you think we should discuss the spells we have and how we could cooperate to give us all the best chance of success?" If Thaddeus agrees, she tells him which spells she has prepared and that she wants to use the shield spell not only for herself, but also to protect others like him or Jocelyn when casting spells. "I'm of no use in combat, as you know only too well" she apologizes.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I have Grease, Identify, Acid Arrow and Glitterdust remaining," Thaddeus replies. "I'm not a terrific aim with the Acid Arrow, though. Oh, I also have a scroll with Fireball and Lightning Bolt. But I'd like to save those for a dire emergency, as I'd rather add them to my spellbook when I'm able to." He frowns. "I thought we'd be facing more trolls, really. These spells are all terribly useless against those helmed horrors. And my magic missiles seem to heal them. I'm afraid I haven't been of much help myself as a result."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"You're right, Fireball and Lightning Bolt should be saved for Emergencies" Ouragana agrees. "Especially since we all could perish in a fire." Then she adds exitedly: "Somehow, the magic of this place must have rubbed off on me, I know I can now dispel some of the magic. Do you think that would help against the helmed horrors?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"An interesting theory," Thaddeus remarks. "Yes, I think it could be possible. The trick would be generating enough mana to fully disrupt the magical pathways between the pieces of the armor. I imagine the one who created these horrors is more powerful than either you or I. So that would make it difficult...but not impossible."

(OOC: Is anyone else doing anything? Does Drav accept and eat the food Granite offers?)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Working on typing my thread, but I'm here)

Drav accepts the food offer graciously.
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I had the same idea," Jocelyn says to the two mages. "But, after some thought, I figured it wouldn't be worth it considering it might only work on one piece of the armor."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Hmmm... Mages... what are you babbling about?" Baeros gracefully joins in after offering water to those who lack it. "Dispelling magic? All this place is a one big mess of magic. If you dispel it the walls will crumble. By the way, can it disarm traps if the trap triggers a spell?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana turns to Bearos: "For all I know, there are two kinds of traps. Some are clever nonmagical devices, some are magical. I don't see how a nonmagical device could trigger a spell, however. Spells must be known, or read off a scroll. Of course, there is still a lot of magic well beyond my knowledge... and I could dispel only a small and well defined part of the magic. The walls will be safe from me" she assures with a smile.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Drav accepts Granite's offer of food and eats the meal of dry rations. It's not spectacular by any means, but food is food.

"If the trap is magical in nature, it should be possible to dispel," Thaddeus remarks. "Theoretically, any magic of any kind can be dispelled. But the more powerful the spell effect, the more powerful the dispelling would need to be."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Baeros looks around then his eyes rests on Jocelyn. "Well. Have everyone rested enough? We should continue in our mission." he says pushing aside all the thoughts about the Oni.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"So far, I don't think we have really ran into magical traps," Jocelyn says as she pushes herself up from where she was sitting. "Though, I want everyone, especially those that can find traps, to be extra observant of what is around them. We need to avoid extra fights if we can help it." She didn't have any healing prayers, and everyone all ready seemed a little run down.