Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

spyguy1503
Lord
Lord
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 14: Beyond the Veil

Post by spyguy1503 »

Gallath approaches the group. "If you want to test the teleporter, I'd love to help. I always wanted to travel the world, and test magic items." To Thaddeus "You really should talk to her. If you enjoy her company, when we land you should take her out to dinner."
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Jocelyn, Baeros, Gallath and Drav (Forecastle)
"Time?" asks Thaddeus. "Is there a deadline I'm not familiar with here? In any case, we are low on supplies as it is. Waiting on the island to test the cannon would have left us without enough food and water to make the trip back."

Baeros looks over the cannon carefully but doesn't notice any bumps or irregularities. There are arcane symbols carved all over it, though.

To Gallath, Thaddeus says, "I'm not sure that would be appropriate. I'm technically engaged, after all."
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Drav looks at Thaddeus, "If you had wanted to look at the teleporter, then we should have done that -before- we left the island." he looks around, "Thinking about it, both the teleporter and some of my belongings were left, and turning around would be the only way to get them."

"The other end was... Hm.. All I can recount right now is going off to search for materials on an island."
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"We do have a limited time you know... When we meet the pirates we had better have the cannon operative, or it will be much tougher combat!" Baeros says seriously his eyebrows frown and his muscles twitch a little. "So do you recognize these symbols or some of them? Do they react to touch or voice? Or spells? Or force? Maybe the same symbols appear on the teleporter." he gestures to the symbols while looking at Thaddeus. "You seem tired, you know? Your back is bent... Hmm... you want to drink something?" He says worriedly but then continue, "Maybe their order would have told you something, you know, the symbols on the teleporter. It might be similar or different from the symbols here, but even if it will be different it still might teach you something. Maybe what NOT to do if you don't want to ruin the device! Maybe there is another talking globe in the mansion that explain how to use the cannon? But if we don't have enough supplies... By the way, what supplies? Food and water? That can be found on the island in plenty. Think of what we might have missed Thaddeus! I was sure your crew would clean up the mansion and bring here everything. And I don't even remember that Drav talked about the teleporter, but that might be because he talked too much and we didn't trust him back then. So I might didn't listen." He smiles sheepishly at Drav.

==========================================================================
(OOC: Is Jocelyn still there? I thought she said she leaves...)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

(OOC: Talked too much? ... ... ... No. I can recount saying around 10 things during that WHOLE encounter. Excluding our initial meeting and the little things when doing actions.)

(OOC: Jaded, can I make a check to see if I remember anything about the teleporter? Maybe like, symbols or how it activated.)

*Attempts to remember*
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Baeros, Gallath and Drav (Forecastle)
Drav wrote:"If you had wanted to look at the teleporter, then we should have done that -before- we left the island." he looks around, "Thinking about it, both the teleporter and some of my belongings were left, and turning around would be the only way to get them."

"The other end was... Hm.. All I can recount right now is going off to search for materials on an island."
"It's not up to me," Thaddeus replies. "Captain's order that we leave now. Otherwise, I'd be happy to stick around awhile and look at the broken teleporter." He shakes his head. "It's too bad you can't remember where the other one was. I suppose it was a long time ago. But if you ever do remember, let me know. Who knows? Maybe we can use it to find another lost island. Maybe there's even a lost continent out there or something."
Baeros wrote:"We do have a limited time you know... When we meet the pirates we had better have the cannon operative, or it will be much tougher combat!"
"We needn't worry about for several weeks. That's plenty of time," Thaddeus replies.
Baeros wrote:"So do you recognize these symbols or some of them? Do they react to touch or voice? Or spells? Or force? Maybe the same symbols appear on the teleporter."
"I know they are arcane in nature. I assume they help regulate power flow through the eldritch couplings, but I can't be entirely sure. Eonian magitek was far more advanced than anything we have now. And why would the teleporter have eldritch couplings? That makes no sense!"
Baeros wrote:"You seem tired, you know? Your back is bent... Hmm... you want to drink something?"
"I'm fine...I just didn't get much sleep last night," Thaddeus replies.
Baeros wrote:"Maybe their order would have told you something, you know, the symbols on the teleporter. It might be similar or different from the symbols here, but even if it will be different it still might teach you something. Maybe what NOT to do if you don't want to ruin the device! Maybe there is another talking globe in the mansion that explain how to use the cannon?"
"I sincerely doubt it," Thaddeus replies. "If there was another globe, it would have likely been in the vault with the cannon itself. And I didn't see any there."
Baeros wrote:By the way, what supplies? Food and water? That can be found on the island in plenty. Think of what we might have missed Thaddeus!
"That is not up to me, it's up to the captain!" Thaddeus snaps, becoming agitated by the ranger. He clears his throat and looks away, embarrassed. "If you will excuse me, I have work to do and you are...distracting me. Please leave me be."

Drav attempts to remember the teleporter and how it activated. Neither he nor his master did anything to it. It just suddenly turned on and zapped them. There were symbols on it, but they looked different from the ones on the cannon.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

chese780 wrote:(OOC: Talked too much? ... ... ... No. I can recount saying around 10 things during that WHOLE encounter. Excluding our initial meeting and the little things when doing actions.)

(OOC: Jaded, can I make a check to see if I remember anything about the teleporter? Maybe like, symbols or how it activated.)

*Attempts to remember*
(OOC: Jaded? I'm literally going to be done once I finish up with that check.)

*If anything is remembered, he will recount it. If not, he will just go back to his room and contemplate his new-found freedom.*

(OOC: I vote to close, cause I'm done posting.)
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The following day, Val takes the trident to Thaddeus to have a look at. He casts a spell of identification on it and reveals that it is a Trident of the Hunter.

Trident of the Hunter: This powerful trident functions as a +2 weapon. However, the item's true abilities manifest underwater. When used there, it grants the wielder the ability to track any desired creature unerringly. Once the wielder concentrates on the specific creature, the trident locates plants and animals (as the 1st level priest spell) with a range of five nautical miles.

In addition, each of the trident's tines transforms into a net of snaring once per day.

Jocelyn also tries to remove the curse on Ouragana, but fails. The power of the curse must be too potent for Jocelyn to undo. All hope seems lost, but Brock reminds them there is a temple of Gonto in Narin. Even if the priests there cannot help, they have a library that may hold the solution.

==============

XP is as follows:

Jocelyn Blaine (Cleric 6)
Questioning Kaakos - 50 XP
Strategizing about kyton - 100 XP
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Finding the cannon - 3,000 XP
Disabling the anchor - 300 XP
Freeing the planetar - 500 XP
Wishing to help the Oni - 100 XP
Returning the Oni home - 1,000 XP
Avoiding helmed horrors - 800 XP
Chat with Baeros about his intentions - 100 XP
Chat with Brock about guidance - 50 XP
Chat with Baeros about what's bothering her - 100 XP
Chat with Ouragana about her mistakes - 100 XP
Sub-Total: 6,833 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 7,516 XP

Ouragana Stormbride (Mage 5)
Chatting with Kaakos about boredom - 50 XP
Casting Dispel Magic - 150 XP
Casting Web - 100 XP
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Wishing to help the Oni - 100 XP
Chat with Jocelyn about her mistakes - 100 XP
Sub-Total: 6,883 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 7,571 XP

Val Urgan (Amazon 5)
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Defeating 8 HD worth of enemies - 400 XP
Chat with Sierra about past - 50 XP
TOTAL: 6,773 XP

Baeros Axewielder (Ranger 5)
Outburst about the Oni - 100 XP
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Defeating 8 HD worth of enemies - 400 XP
Chat with Jocelyn about his intentions - 100 XP
Chat with Jocelyn about what's bothering her - 100 XP
TOTAL: 6,983 XP

Gallath (Thief 6)
Disarming the acid trap on the heart door - 200 XP
Finding trap in front of club door - 200 XP
Reveals he is a chess player and it was popular in his home village - 200 XP
Finding trap in front of diamond door - 200 XP
Disarming the trap in front of the club door - 200 XP
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
TOTAL: 7,283 XP

Dahn "Granite" Tohstubson (Illusionist 4/Thief 4)
Reveals he was only survivor of home village - 200 XP
Disarming the trap in front of the diamond door - 200 XP
Casting Strength on Baeros - 100 XP
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Sub-Total: 3,441 XP/3,441 XP (+10% Thief only)
TOTAL: 3,441 XP/3,785 XP

Drav Arellax (Fighter 4/Thief 5)
Defeating kyton - 633 XP
Defeating 8 HD worth of enemies - 320 XP
Sub-Total: 3,326 XP/3,326 XP (+10% Thief only)
TOTAL: 3,326 XP/3,659 XP

Brock Brewmaster (Fighter 3)
Defeating kyton - 300 XP
Defeating 8 HD worth of enemies - 120 XP
Finding the cannon - 1,500 XP
Disabling the anchor - 150 XP
Freeing the planetar - 250 XP
Returning the Oni home - 500 XP
Avoiding helmed horrors - 400 XP
Sub-Total: 3,220 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 3,452 XP

Brock reaches level 4 Fighter!