Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

A Brave New World

Post here if you are a DM looking for players or a player hoping to find a game to join.
Forum rules
Please stay on topic at all times. Also, please use proper topic titles to help keep these forums organized. *Use gaming style, gaming type etc in titles* IE: Looking for players in a 3.5e D&D campaign.
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

A Brave New World

Post by Namenlos »

I have been DMing for a while, but i have not been able to stretch my "wings" as much as i'd like to. So i'd like to invite you all to my world.
Fresh as I am to this site I would appreciate any supportive DMing advice or world building advice as well, some critiquing of my post if you have the time. thanks to all who take the time to read this, and I do hope that I've sparked your interest by the end!

Edit: For spelling errors or grammar I'm sure I missed, but mostly touching up the game recruitment details.

-----
What game system?
Dungeons AND Dragons 3.5e, with additional house rule supplements. I am always open to a good idea, so if there is something you have encountered that worked well or better let me know, No guarantees that I will like or use it but it will be considered.

What is the setting/type of the game?
A homebrewed world. I've tried to involve a little bit of everything, though each has their place. Enjoy a Vampire Masquerade? there's a place for that. Interested in exploring the dynamics of politics involving Orcs and the other races? Got that. Want to live underwater and fall in love with the handsome land living Prince? there's a place for it.
-Evil characters, every world needs its villains. Whether you’d like to start political intrigue in the capitol or raise a vast army of the undead as an evil necromancer, we need you!
-Unusual races. I’ve begun by using what I am familiar with, Forgotten Realms, thus goblinoids are generally evil, humans are widespread, and elves are quiet forest dwellers, etc. However, if you have an idea that you would like to incorporate for a character throw it out there, and if it fits well I’ll begin by drawing it up and fleshing out a place for you to begin. This a fresh homebrewed world, the races do not fit a particular mold just yet, though as I said Forgotten Realms will be the go to in the beginning.
-Looking for a relaxed pace to post while you’re waiting or bored? Create a solo character and be a paperboy! Giving me the chance to write up information of the day for future plot points (just a possible idea, I know I know.)
I don’t want to give away particular story arcs at present because I’d prefer them in game, but if you need me to expand on something particular to gain or even lose your interest please ask.

How many players?
Come one, Come all! I will not be turning away anyone for the time for sure. There is no defined party at present so no need to keep the player limit down for balance.

How fast of a game?
Player dependent, if you’re looking to play with a group it would be nice if your speeds match, but I’m not picky, so as long as they are not as well, you are good. Just a minor detail, but if you want to be heavily vested in plot points that interact with others it would be best if you can keep up to date. There is always the chance that you could be playing “catch up” to someone that you are chasing if your posts are slow, ie. You find the site of a battle between so and so, but the “monsters” fought are nothing but rotting corpses.

Starting Status:
Would be level one, it is fresh and I would like it if you are as well. This is especially important for monster races receiving level adjustments.

Starting Funds:
I will be using the 3.5e PHB starting funds per your class. Your backstory may require something different and will be decided in a case by case basis, I encourage a rich backstory and frown(heavily) on the over the top sort.

Race and Class restrictions:
I have stated previously that races are very open; I just need a compelling story to get me started. For the classes anything within 3.5e is fair game… for the most part, something over powered would detract from the fun for me as a DM. IF you wanted to play a dragon you will be starting young, no Ancients, this is an example that can be applied to most powerful races.

Ability Scores:
To generate ability scores I’m of the mind to use invisible castle, rolling 4d6 and dropping the lowest. If everyone that gets involved (if anyone! :O) would prefer a point system then I will switch to that.

Alignment:
BRING IT! Just make sure to stay in character, make it come alive! Haha. There will be leniency, seeing your alignment more as a guide line, just don't be a chaotic evil necromancer donating his time to help the poor(at least not without purpose or a goal, though I know chaotic can kinda do whatever they want.) actions over time build up and can effect change.

Multi-classing:
No rules here coming to mind off hand, let me know in advance if you plan to so that I am better able to plan ahead or inform you of any requirements.
(Side note I once played a fighter who found a robe that was pretty good, my friend who was DMing had intended for us to just sell it for gold. I however picked up sorcerer on my next level and surprised him by casting magic missile next combat. It WAS funny but a little too sneaky, maybe, and may have interrupted any plans he had for me… which is exactly why I recommend you do this to me!)

Rolling the die:
I am using Unseen Servant, ID: 384.

Optional/Variant rules:
Nothing that I can name really offhand, if there is something that you are particularly curious about please ask and I will clarify. I will keep a list in the game thread addressing any of these that crop up as time progresses.

Background:
This could be either very important or not so much, depending on what game you want to play. If you want to create an evil necromancer deep in the wilds attempting to gain power I need to know how and why. If you want to play a paper boy the history of your life choices becomes ”slightly” less important(lol!)

Hack and slash, puzzle solving, RP:
I would like to involve as much of all three as possible, though character choices should impact this a lot. If you are that political intrigue character and never want to leave your particular sphere of RP, hack and slash won’t come up but RP and puzzle solving will. I’m not going to force your character into outlandish situations that don’t make sense, though some things will be harder to avoid than others.

Source Material:
All standard material and supplements for 3.5e, if there is something non-standard that you really like please bring it up to me so that I may look it over and approve/disapprove. Some things may just not fit into this world, such as over the top feats. 3.5e is apparently notorious for how much material is available and some of it, for me, is not really "useful" and I'll judge it as you bring it up.

Extra knowledge:
I cannot think of anything specific, though I will be including a post in the game thread to address this and, if you are curious, are more than welcome to check.
Last edited by Namenlos on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Re: A Brave New World

Post by spyguy1503 »

So, essentially, mess with the DM's Plans?
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

It doesn't have to be that, but it could be. I have planned out plot points and if you wanted to jump in and try to upset the balance I don't really see a problem with it. Just, you know, be prepared i guess, if someone powerful is talking to you and you slap him in the face he might be angry, etc. not sure exactly if I answered what you were saying, but i tried!

But you totally made me think of a character like Deadpool that somehow knew I was there and wanted to kill me lol.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

I might be interested.. If I can find a cool character concept I'll reply.
Time to trawl the depths of the races and classes.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Doppleganger bard possible?
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

Thank you Jenara for your interest, I can't wait to see what you are able to come up with, if you are able.

Tristen: First off i'm not against the idea of a doppleganger as a PC, i have several plot points that do or can make use of one, though that depends on what sort of back story you have in mind for the character.
The only unfortunate part being the Level adjustment of +4(not a huge deal) and their mysterious nature/strange disposition. Creating a party with a doppleganger could be potentially rough (in that potential may i suggest the changeling), but if you're not against at least initially soloing through it really should not be a problem.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

Time to find an awesome idea and just screw around.
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I would be good with soloing a while. It's a concept char I've played before. I can take on the responsibility of nerfing the doppleganger, I have some access to the 'savage races' book.

Basic Backstory:
His doppleganger tribe was wiped out by adventurers when he was an adolescent. He followed a diff group, not knowing how to approach (curious about them, lonely). The bard died to a trap, he approached the group in the bard's form, traveled with them a little, they eventually found him out and tries to kill him. He enjoyed the bard thing so much (b/c it's social, fun, people tend to like them bc high Cha) he continued to travel as a bard.

Eventually an assasins' guild found him, the leader feigned friendship. Made him feel like family, treated him well, sent him to join a party and kill a 'target' at a crucial moment. He did, but by not helping the character when in mortal danger rather than killinng him directly. Feels horrible about it, wants to stop. They send him on another mission to betray an entire party at a critical moment (want tpk). He struggles inwardly with his charge.

Last time I played him he was the party leader and in the middle of the last mission :D

Edit, additional: I would want to alternate between monster and class levels until he reaches full doppleganger stats, then continue with bard
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

A game thread is open so go ahead and post here or PM me and we can get started.
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

Just a small bump in case anyone might be interested. Have a few involved at present and it would be interesting to have a few more protagonists/antagonists running around.
DramaLlama
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DramaLlama »

I'm interested, but I don't have that much experience with 3rd Edition. I've got the materials, but never really got into it. If you're willing to put up with my learning curve is love to join up.
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

Learning curve is no problem at all. Are you interested in something more long term, or more of an introductory short at first?
DramaLlama
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DramaLlama »

I'm hoping for something that may go longer term. I had to step away from gaming years ago and miss it tremendously. I am fine with something introductory if that would be easier to start with. I'll pull together a character for you and we can go from there.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

You can join Miss Prettywhisk ! Hehe
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Namenlos
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Namenlos »

I'll create a character creation thread for you in the relevant thread below, If you have any questions go ahead and ask!