Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Mira Rhelarwen (Jenara)- Private Thread

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Mira Rhelarwen (Jenara)- Private Thread

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc: oop! My bad, misread that bit. Mira takes a 'magic bath' ;) ]

The gypsy matriarch merely nods at her first question regarding the vision. Balance is essential in all lands... it is wise of you to see that. She smiles, the tracks of her aged face matching the gesture as it did on one who smiled often. Some times they need a little... nudge now and again. But the creature that saved you last night is neither your ally, nor your target. That I can say; though you may cross paths with it again... The lady smiles once more at the complement to her people, patting Mira's knee. We will celebrate tonight, with music and dancing. You favored us yesterday with your song, we will show you how the Visitani play. With that she let out a laugh that belied her age. Groaning with effort she stood and went back inside to take her ease, closing the wagon door behind her.

Abruptly, the wagon begins to slow, then finally stops. She hears the driver of the wagon ahead of her, the one she slept in, call out ahead. He is not using the Kartakan language, but it is clear he is asking why they stopped.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I would love you hear that, if your songs are anything like your people I would be honoured." She offers a smile and rests her head on the door of the wagon.

"What happened?" She asks as the wagon draws to a halt, slipping off the step her curiosity getting the better of her she jumps to her feet, hand on her sword hilt. "What language is that?" She asks Raunie.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

As the gypsy is about to close the door from inside, the wagon halts. The old woman leans out and listens ahead. Mira asks her second question but she waves it away, straining to hear. Something blocks the path... That is the language of the Visitani. Seeing Mira on her feet, she smiles. You have spirit, girl. Perhaps you should see what is going on?
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Perhaps I should.." Mira responds as she starts to move away from the Wagon, she couldnt communicate but she had eyes at least she could see what was happening. Moving closer to the disturbance.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Mira makes her way to the front of the wagon line, though the tree branches nearly touch on each side she is able to weave around them. The talking goes quiet, and the other women are poking their heads out too and trying to see what is wrong.

Three of the men, the youngest, oldest, and the man who had offered the wagon for her to stay in, were gathered around something in the road a few yards ahead. Seeing her approach the young man rushes up to her, palms out and obviously trying to get her not to come closer. S'il vous plaît pas. vous ne voulez pas voir cela. Whatever it is, it lies on the ground behind the other two. With the third man near her, she can see a hooved foot sticking past the others.

[Mira lang check (2+5=7)1d100=42. Fail.
Mira doesn't understand the words, but the man's body language make it plain he doesn't think she should go ahead.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Monster?" She asks miming a scary face and raising her hands above her head, eying the foot she steps back staying with the men, hand on her sword hilt the whole time.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Mira pantomimes a monster, and Bertolli seems to understand, but is unsure how to answer; finally nodding sadly.

Taking a longer look at the hoof, it appears to be that of a deer or the like. The middle aged man crouches and points to something on the ground, turning back to speak up at the older gypsy. His voice is too quiet to hear from this far away, but the other man nods and turns back to regard the two of them. He waves Bertolli forward, who motions again for Mira to stay put, worry in his eyes, before going to join the other two. The others don't seem to feel in danger, so it is uncertain why the young man thinks she should wait here.

[Ooc: if you want to try to say something in Harmonian, you can use the same %chance as your language checks]
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Men." Mira shakes her head and takes a few strides forward, summoning up what she can grasp of the Language she tries to say "Trouble?" And points go where they were looking.

Ooc: have fun with this: 1d100=93. Lol

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Muttering to herself, Mira marches towards the group. She makes an effort to communicate, but realizes that she has never heard (or understood if it was) the word ‘trouble’ in Harmonian. They don’t seem to notice, perhaps thinking it her own language. The old man just shakes his head sadly at what lay on the ground, while the two younger look at her with concern but do not try to stop her.

She soon sees what the issue is. For a moment, the horror of the night before comes back to her. A stag, once quite a large and hardy specimen, lay torn and broken on the ground. Long parallel gashes opened its once-fine hide, and hindquarters crushed by what could only be massive jaws now decorated its body. In her mind's eye she sees it again:

The last dragon man to leave stumbles back into sight, eyes staring in a complex mixture of horror, pain and disbelief. Dark blood runs from its face and side, and the creature’s right arm is missing below the elbow as if it had simply been torn away! It turns towards her and opens his reptilian mouth to speak, but only black blood issues forth from those scaly lips. Her enemy reaches desperately towards her for aid, but topples to the ground with a thud like a felled tree.

Snapping back to the present, she sees the deer again. Whatever did this had not tried to eat the deer… though It likely could have easily caught it after the injuries to its legs… The old man mutters something in the language of the gypsies, and the two younger pick the poor creature up by its legs and take it off the trail an into the woods some little distance. A dark red smear along the trail now is the only visible sign of the noble creature’s passing.

The others return and the men head back to the wagons, with somber expressions. Preparing to get them underway.
Mira said:
"Men."
Present company excluded I hope ;)
Jenara said:
Ooc: have fun with this: 1d100=93. Lol
[Fortunately for Mira, it was only gibberish. 95+, however, I usually have it actually mean something ☺ Never what is intended, and 1d10 on a scale of offensive or not… She was pretty close though :D]
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"That..." Mira stands mouth agape for a few moments, that creature, now she could see the reason they were protecting her. Staggering from the blow, and unable to speak she turns away, trying not to face the three men.

This creature was tied up in her life, Raunie said so, she didn't have much else to hold onto right now.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The old gypsy led Mira back towards the wagons and the others. Bertolli had already climbed back into the seat for the lead wagon and was talking to the dark haired girl in the Visitani language; presumably explaining the situation. The old man climbed up beside him and the girl headed to the rear wagon. It seemed they only waited for Mira to get underway again.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Mira jogs back to the wagon with a worried look on her face, jumping on the back she shakes her head. "The creature, the same one that killed those Dragon men." Shuddering she closes her eyes tightly trying to block out the images in her head.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

As soon as Mira passes the lead wagon they are underway again. She passes the younger girl on her way to the last wagon. Grabbing the open doorframe she stands on the back step, and closes her eyes in an effort to drive the images from her mind. A sinewy hand closes on her shoulder. Her heart stops for a brief moment, until she hears the reedy voice. What did you find, child? Lesorna said something blocked the trail... she stops upon seeing Mira's pale expression. Later, then... I will rest now. You may ride here or on another wagon as you wish.

With that, Raunie went to the room in the front of the wagon to retire. The remainder of the day passed uneventfully. Finally, with the sun low in the sky, the old man chose a small clearing just off the path. It was level ground with enough distance from the trees that nothing could creep up on the wagons unseen. The homes made a semicircle, with the opening facing the trail. The Raunie stepped outside and looked it over once. The whole camp waited expectantly... when she nodded, the others burst into action.

Firewood was collected, stones for the circle were placed, horses tethered and feed-bagged, and thw whole company moved with alacrity, like a well-oiled clock. When the fire was lit, the old man demonstrated it for Bertolli; and his aged fingers had only strike the flint once before the kindling caught. In less than a minute there was a roaring fire any ranger would have been proud of. Warm smiles and comfort, water and bread, wines and cheeses and smoked sausages made up the fare. Finally the man Mira had come to think of has her wagon-host pullled a fiddle out and began tuning. The whole of the camp paused in their joviality to listen.

[Ooc: at any point Mira can make a comment or action and we'll work it in. This is just an effort to move the story up a bit since we have more ground to cover inherently with her before the group assembles.]
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

(That's just fine, I'm happy to move on)

Her journey was spent in silent contemplation on the step of Raunies wagon, was that creature following her? She needed to know what it was, she had to know.

When the caravan stops Mira does all she can to help, but finds she is constantly in the way of such a well oiled machine. After an hour of attempting to help she finds a quiet spot and rests.

Back against a tree she lets her hair fall about her shoulders and strums softly on her lute, checking each set of strings are correct before moving on to the next. Letting out a sigh she clears her throat and starts to sing softly.

"As I walked forth one summer's day,
To view the meadows green and gay
A pleasant bower I espied
Standing fast by the river side,
And in't a maiden I heard cry:
Alas! alas! there's none e'er loved as I.

Then round the meadow did she walk,
Catching each flower by the stalk
Such flow'rs as in the meadow grew,
The Dead Man's Thumb, an herb all blue;
And as she pull'd them still cried she:

The flowers of the sweetest scents
She bound about with knotty bents;
And as she bound them up in bands
She wept, she sigh'd, she wrung her hands;
Alas! alas! alas! cried she,

When she had fill'd her apron full
Of such green things as she could cull,
The green things served her for her bed,
The flow'rs were the pillows for her head;
Then down she laid her, ne'er more did speak;
Alas! alas! with love her heart did break."

Letting her voice break at the last note she fights back a tear, her home was gone, she was stuck here.. It's funny how her life seemed so bad, yet now she looked back with longing, all she wanted was one more set in her home..

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc: Ooh, I like that one too! It seems familiar, but I can't place it. I studied mostly english literature here in the states at University, though that was better than 10 years ago... Since then my career took a widely divergent path, so I don't get back to it as much as i'd like...]

When the wagons stop Mira does her best to assist in pitching camp. The others are kind, but it soon becomes clear to her that she is a hindrance; though nobody is rude about it. Leaning against a wagon-wheel she plays her heart-sick tune, longing to return home.

About that time the ladies brought out the trays of meat and cheeses and bread, and bottles of wine and a couple skins of water. They motioned for her to join them in their repast. Her host came out then, carrying a dark-stained fiddle and bow. The other men gathered and everyone took places by the fire on stones or logs. Walking to the fireside he plucked the strings, testing their tuning then drew his bow over once. The smooth, clean sound that came out had a dark, but not sinister, musical quality to it. Though its appearance was nothing special, she could tell it was a finely made instrument.

He began to play. A long, low, sonorous note gently emerged and swung up into a higher register. Down again it fell, repeating quickly before drifting up again. It meandered back and forth like a lazy arpeggio until reaching a crescendo near the highest possible range of the instrument.

At this cue, the raven-haired Lesorna came out. She wore a diaphonous shawl-like veil and a small billowy white top that had a deep neckline and left her midriff exposed as well. Her fingers were bedecked with rings and bracelets of silver, ivory and brass in an ecclectic style that clattered with her movement; all over the white skirt and tassled red shawl tied at her waist. The held note ended abruptly as she struck a coy and humble pose before the fire, quite at odds with her garb.

The pause lasted but an instant, and the violin began slowly; a back-and-forth undulating but gradual climb in pitch. The gypsy mirrored the strains of music with her body, first only the head and shoulders, then adding a step or two before her long, delicate arms and hands wove patterns in the air. The tempo hastened by infinitesimal degrees, and the girl's body responded in perfect harmony to the song. Soon she was twirling and whipping the long veil in her hands to obscure or reveal portions of her movement. The hips joined last, but she swayed and spun as if her spine were made of jelly. The accompaning music vaulted high and low with such speed and virtuosity it was clear the man was a master musician who had likely spent decades honing his technique. Finally, after a particularly virulent stanza, the fiddle ended abruptly and Lesorna fell as if the music had somehow been the only thing to keep her moving.

She sat on the ground at Bertolli's feet, leaned forward and shoulders heaving with breath from the effort. Her hair was disheveled and she turned her face up to him, deep blue-violet eyes glittering in the firelight. He helped her to her feet, saying something quietly in the language of the Visitani. She smiled and blushed, clearly rare for her, and grabbed his arm to lead him to dance as the violin began a more tame melody. The old man, leader of the camp, took out a board with strings that reminded her strongly of a hammered dulcimer. He kept a steady rythm and added trills and the like here and there, but without the virtuosity of the other musician.

[Ooc: Mira can easily choose where to sit, and whether or not she wants to dance or accompany the band, or just enjoy the performance.
The first piece should sound like this: "Solitaire" by Kamelot]