Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Starting a Ravenloft, 2e AD&D Game: Roll an Interest Check

Post here if you are a DM looking for players or a player hoping to find a game to join.
Forum rules
Please stay on topic at all times. Also, please use proper topic titles to help keep these forums organized. *Use gaming style, gaming type etc in titles* IE: Looking for players in a 3.5e D&D campaign.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Starting a Ravenloft, 2e AD&D Game: Roll an Interest Check

Post by TristenC »

Would anyone be interested in playing a 2nd Ed AD&D game set in Ravenloft? I am ready to get back into running a campaign again, and wanted to start with something I'm most familiar with that I have a lot of resources for.

Interested players need not have any prior experience with the 'Demiplane of Dread'. For those not already familiar with it, here goes:

Ravenloft is a Gothic Fantasy style campaign setting. It is not a true plane of it's own, more of a splintered assemblage of Domains tenuously held together by mystical powers. The common theme is fear, dread and even madness! Think of old black and white horror movies and you won't be far off.

Mood is king in Ravenloft. It encourages rich interaction and provokes more than the somewhat bland traditional response.

Instead of
'Tom the thief attempts to open the door quietly'

it might become
'The half-elf gradually stretched out his hand, which quavered ever so slightly. The fresh, jagged claw marks from the splintering rough oak by the door handle scraped his knuckles as he turned the latch. His ragged breath and the faint metallic screech of the lock seem thunderous to his sensitive ears. He silently wondered what the sounds could be masking... was that truly his own breath he heard... or something else...'

Some gameplay stuff:
I like to keep a balance of role-playing and dungeon delving in my campaigns. Xp rewards for well played characters, ingenuity in the face of adversity, and good-old dungeoneering are available.

I love rich backstories and watching characters come to life; even to the point of surprising their own players. I live to hear players say "I never expected <character name> to do that, but when I thought about their motivations it was the obvious choice."

I won't go into many more specifics until I find out if there is any potential interest.

Let me know if it piques your interest, or if you have any questions.

If it gains enough interest (I feel like I'm using that word too much), I will move forward with getting it finalized. The game would not likely start until this October, since I have a 5-day vacation in late September. If there is a lot of enthusiasm (knew I'd find another word), I may start it earlier. I would still be able to post every 2-3 days on vacation, but it would just be a little less in-depth.
Last edited by TristenC on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs transporting the Crown... while being hunted by a murderer... Act 3, Scene 1
Genwald: DM. PCs Orc hunting before facing the worg-riders again... Act 2, Scene 2
Puzzle Dungeon: DM. Labyrinth of Madness reboot! Approaching the Labyrinth
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Re: Starting a Ravenloft, 2e AD&D Game: Roll an Interest Che

Post by TristenC »

Ok, I have been thinking about it a lot the last couple of days; and I have pretty much decided to move forward on this.

This will be for 4-7 players
Characters will start around level 3 (with 5k xp, so some may be higher or lower based on xp req.)
Most of the pcs will start outside of, then transition into Ravenloft.
I will roll a small chance for each pc to have already been adventuring in Ravenloft for a bit. Those pcs who have will retain a certain amount of knowledge about the demi-plane in general.

Characters can be 'from' almost any world/land on the Prime Material Plane. Krynn, Greyhawk, etc.

Playable Races (no stat/class level restrictions)
Basic races from PHB, Kender, special elf/dwarf types from krynn, etc
Others may be available upon request.
WARNING: Ravenloft is 90%+ human. many demihumans may face persecution, especially those obviously not human.
The game will be made to accommodate anything I approve, but there will still be challenges.

I will wait for some responses before going into more detail.
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs transporting the Crown... while being hunted by a murderer... Act 3, Scene 1
Genwald: DM. PCs Orc hunting before facing the worg-riders again... Act 2, Scene 2
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

See my PM.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. As soon as the forum is created I'll post some stuff there on character creation and general rules.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Rules and character creation guidelines are posted in the game forum here for anyone interested in this campaign. If you have any questions you can post them in this thread, in the ooc thread at the above link, or just pm me.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I just realized my original post said the game starts Nov first when it should have been October 1st. The post has been updated.
Zero

Post by Zero »

I'd like in on this adventure as well.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Groovy. Check out the forum here.

Start with the general rules thread. If you have any questions you can post them here, in the ooc thread there, or just pm me.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Hey, I saw your post on the Giants forum.

I am interested.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Great! Welcome to planet ADnD.com!

As I mentioned in the giants forum, the full campaign won't start for a bit, but you can do some solo-play prior to that if you're interested.

Check out the link from my last post (just above yours). I'll go ahead and add you so you can ask questions in the ooc thread there as well. You can also pm me directly or ask questions here.

Any idea what type of character you might want to play?
thefallenson
Peasant
Peasant

Post by thefallenson »

I have ventured from the playground overrun with Giants, I'll take a gander at the link above. I'm thinking of playing a Paladin from the Forgotten Realms, Nimbral to be exact.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Hail and well-met fallen one. A paladin in Ravenloft? Yummy! Paladins may be difficult to roll, but good-luck! Let me know if you have questions.

You are now approved to check out the forum boards.

For future posters, each person must be moved to the approved list individually after showing interest.
Surgate
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Surgate »

I too have arrived from the playground of Giants to partake of this most excellent adventure :D

I'll have to roll the dice to see what comes of it but regardless of chance I'm looking forward to getting started with this!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Welcome! We seem to be getting many fromm the Giant's Playground...

You have been added to 'the list' so you should be able to read and post and such in the game's forum.

The link is a few entries above in my Aug 21st post. Let me know if you have questions: D
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

There are still a couple of spots open for those who might be interested. The main campaign starts Oct 1st, but there are solo tracks going on right now. Feel free to check them out if you want a peek at my DMing style.