Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread II

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread II

Post by chese780 »

I was just wondering about it, but this gives me time.

So... how much knowledge would someone who would have grown up based around following one of three gods, with the choices including Sirrion? Also, are there maps out and about in this world?
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Well, after the Cataclysm the gods vanished, as did all divine powers for 350 years. Everyone stopped believing in the gods during that time. Some races remembered them, but stopped praying. Others, like humans, mostly forgot they ever existed at all.

Even though Phaethons stopped believing during this time, they probably still retained some knowledge of their three patron deities. From Races of Ansalon:
Beliefs
The phaethons are deeply spiritual people, although they take it to an ascetic level rather than expressing it outwardly. They do not typically adorn themselves with religious or holy icons, nor do they set aside buildings as temples or shrines. Instead, each phaethon is expected to come to an understanding, or agreement, with one of the Great Patrons alone; most simply choose a god and live a life in accordance with that credo, although others take this to another level.

The Great Patrons are Habbakuk, Sirrion, and Sargonnas, as each are associated with fire. A minor rite of ascension, sharing elements of that which leads to the transformation of an elder, is undertook by a phaethon who seeks to embrace the life of a devotee. Phaeran the Firebird (Habbakuk) is the foremost of the Patrons, and his followers, some of whom are paladins, are known as the Phaenar. Their fiery wings become blue once they have completed their holy rites. Sirithos the Flame (Sirrion) is patron to an order of monks who, quite at odds with phaethon and monastic culture, abstain from discipline and law for the apparent randomness and spontaneity of inner wisdom. Kinthalos the Scar (Sargonnas) is usually invoked to calm a volcanic fire or in an oath of vengeance, but he has some evil followers who practice dark rites of scarification, sacrifice, and murder. Clerics of Kinthalos do not live openly for obvious reasons, although their deep blood-red flames are difficult to conceal.
Note that you are not limited to just these three gods. Felran can follow any deity you want. Although if you want immunity to fire for your special power, you'll have to choose a deity with the Fire Domain (Sirrion, Sargonnas or Reorx).

So in all likelihood, Felran has heard of Habbakuk, Sirrion and Sargonnas but he knows them as Phaeran, Sirithos and Kinthalos. Which is why I was surprised at his complete lack of reaction when Grubnick revealed he followed Sirrion and even used magical healing on Felran.

As for maps, there are maps around, sure. Most are outdated, though, having been drawn before the Cataclysm. So you can never be sure how accurate they are anymore.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

MFW I probably missed that during my period of absence. I'll go back through and check.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

It was here.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Yah, found it. That was indeed during my period of extended absence for broken Rib-itis.

Would it be Metagaming to know that now? I mean, I didn't really have a way to react to it.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Well, Felran was there. He witnessed magical healing firsthand and he knows Gobax is a true cleric. We can retcon things and say he was just so stunned by the revelation that he didn't react at the time, he was in shock.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Roger that.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

That's really interesting - I know nothing about divine stuff in this setting.
Would Shima know anything?
Would be an interesting line - at the moment, he's really just a drifter with hopes of revenge on the draconians, but its so nebulous that it will likely never come to anything.
Ripe for divine plucking, I'd say, anything sneaky or fightery. Just a thought..
Maybe a conversation with someone on history - could be Greggedin (as chatting while house sharing) or a visit to Haahque (long overdue) to listen to some of his grand stories.
Happy to be guided here, folks.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Now I just need to... Put it all together.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As a hill dwarf, Shima has likely at least heard of Reorx, the god of crafts, the forge and creation. But the dwarves stopped worshipping him a long time ago. But they still reference him, usually in swears ("By Reorx's Hammer!" or "Reorx's Beard!"). It's unlikely he's heard of any other deity, unless he's specifically researched them.

It's also possible he's heard the old stories about Takhisis. But the dwarves know her as 'Tamex the False Metal.'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

You're s**t hot on all this, you know that? :)
How about through travels (Pathfinder & general outcast) ?
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Also, don't I only have 34 lbs worth of things on me?

Also, my max unencumbered is 55, right?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Chris1234 wrote:How about through travels (Pathfinder & general outcast) ?
It's my understanding this is as far north as he's traveled, right? So he likely hasn't heard anything about the old gods returning until he reached Haven.
chese780 wrote:Also, don't I only have 34 lbs worth of things on me?

Also, my max unencumbered is 55, right?
Not including his weapons, which he left in his room, he's carrying 30 pounds. And yeah, with a STR of 15, he can carry up to 55 pounds before he enters light encumbrance.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

What would be an estimation of how much he can carry while flying without becoming encumbered?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut rule for that. I'd say that at light encumbrance, he can still fly but his movement rate is slowed (just like his walking speed) and his maneuverability class drops from C to D. At moderate encumbrance, it drops from D to E. At heavy and severe encumbrance, he cannot fly at all.