Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread II

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread II

Post by JadedDM »

If you were to head there in a perfectly straight line, 350 miles. In practice, it would be more, as you'd need to take a boat to get there (unless you want to cut through the front line of the Blue Dragonarmy, that is).

Anyone is welcome (except kender) to the library.

Leaving wouldn't be easy. First, he'd need to get a permit from the army to be allowed to leave. He'd need a good excuse, because telling them his true reasons would obviously be a bad idea. Once he was outside of the city, it'd be easier for him, especially since he can fly, which would allow him to bypass most checkpoints (most of the dragons are near cities and strongholds, so as long as he avoids civilized areas until he gets out of their territory, he should be okay.)

The real problem is expense. It costs a lot of money to travel. Money for food, transportation, and so forth. Felran is broke right now. Also, he'll need to learn how to read. I believe he gets his next NWP at 6th level. Otherwise, his research at the library won't go so well.

By the way, what class was it you wanted him to dip into?
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

I was going to dip into something to give me some healing magic ;)

As for the place, the Dragon army is moving from Qualinesti to Thorbaroin, right? Meaning if I were to cut from Lauranost to that island, that'd get me a nice distance from the occupation.

Doing the math, I can travel 500 miles in 12.5 days if I only fly 8 hours a day. Respectable, and should give plenty of resting time.

As for Reading, last time I checked, I have a blank NWP :D
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

chese780 wrote:I was going to dip into something to give me some healing magic ;)
Ah, okay. I was going to suggest a kit, but I'm not aware of any kit that offers healing magic to fighters.

Although if you can grind out enough divine favor (15 points) for Mishakal, she'll grant you the ability to lay on hands once per day.
chese780 wrote:As for the place, the Dragon army is moving from Qualinesti to Thorbaroin, right? Meaning if I were to cut from Lauranost to that island, that'd get me a nice distance from the occupation.
Yeah, that's the path the Qualinesti took to escape into Southern Ergoth.
chese780 wrote:As for Reading, last time I checked, I have a blank NWP :D
Fighters have to spend 2 NWP slots to learn to read and write. So he needs one more.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

JadedDM wrote:
chese780 wrote:As for Reading, last time I checked, I have a blank NWP :D
Fighters have to spend 2 NWP slots to learn to read and write. So he needs one more.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, how many levels can I advance in twelve days on my own, probably RP'ing with the refugees, and attempting to make my way to a place the army would probably kill me for going to?

(Got a list of kits I can check out?)
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Not an actual list handy, no. I have a lot of sources to pull from, and some of the official kits I don't use or have modified. I've also made some of my own.

Either way, accessing healing magic isn't possible without devoting yourself to a deity, though.

Anyway, you're level 4 now. To reach level 6, you need 32,000 XP total. Right now you have a little over 9,000. So you need about 23,000. If you earn about 1,900 XP each day, then you could be level 6 in 12 days.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Respectable. As for the kits, got any sources/official kit locations I can check out?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Heh, if you can pull that off, maybe you do deserve to save the world, despite that being far outside the scope of this game. :lol:

I suppose I could link to you here. You'd have to go through each of the "Complete" series to look at all of the kits.

There's also a complete list here, but it only shows the names of the kits, and nothing else about them.

There are also special kits just for Dragonlance. I work on some of them here. They include Knight of Solamnia, Mariner, Kender Handler, Gnomish Tinkerer and Blue Phoenix of Habbakuk, but I'm not sure any of them are relevant to Felran.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

A 12 day journey through occupied lands, volcano territory, and probably enough Orcs to make a sane man go mad.

Good thing I'm not sane. I'm a Phaethon out of his land who is trying to solve this problem so he can go back to his quiet-ish life.

If this happens, will I have another thread, based on the same time as the real one, or will I be in the same thread as everyone.

(I know that you're going to throw the campaign, and its source books, at me. I want to actually risk it for once and maybe, -just maybe-, have an awesome time doing it.)
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Not orcs. There are no orcs in Dragonlance. The draconians basically fill their niche.

You'd be in the same thread. And the whole point of this game is to focus on how Haven's citizens survive the occupation. Saving the world is the domain of the Heroes of the Lance. But I won't stop you if you're really determined to go for it.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

I realize that completely, however...

If I stay in Haven for too long, I will be found out. Whether or not I find dragons will be an extra, but I need to find a way for him to better protect himself.

It's also for him to have a journey for self-realization purposes. That was a Phaethon thing, right?

EDIT: Essentially, rather than die from experiments, old age, or homelessness(It's a crime,right? Refer to object 1), I'd like to explore Krynn and maybe even liberate my home. I realize the Heroes of the Lance are going on, but... I shouldn't run into them... Right?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

So before Haahqae starts asking money for performances infrot of soldiers, it's probably best to check that he doesn't need something like a busking liscence to do so in the dragon-army territory. I'd usually assume no such laws exist, but the dragon-army does seem rather anti-citizens-having-fun and pro random-laws-to-make-citizens-broke.
Veni Vidi Vici
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

So, as a question... Do you have to be a cleric to get these effects? Or just have the 15 grind points.

Sirrion - Fire Immunity
A priest of Sirrion is completely immune to heat and fire damage, even dragon's breath. They also have full access to the Elemental (Fire) sphere.

Reason being, could a Warrior who followed him gain access to spells?

*Huge grin is happening*

Remember who the Patrons of the Phaethon are?
Habbak
Seragonnas
Sirrion

------

Also, did you ever setup a concrete infopage on divine favor stuff?

------

EDIT: I will be keeping all of my scheming for this out of the OOC thread for now. Gonna type up a semi-concrete plan to roll out.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

If he earned 15 divine favor points for Sirrion, sure, he could gain immunity to fire as his special ability.

This was the closest thing to anything official I wrote on it:
JadedDM wrote:I've been working on a little project here, in regards to the true gods of Krynn. I knew that at some point, some of the party will want to convert over once they become public knowledge. But which ones? Some of you aren't all that knowledgeable about the setting, and so don't even know who the old gods are. And I would like, at some point, to introduce a true cleric NPC to the party, so they can have magical healing again (since some of you are still nursing wounds from the mines).

So what I've done is, I took all 21 gods and boiled them down to three aspects or traits that most appeal to them. Then I went through the first three chapters of the game, and wrote down each time a PC did something that would please a god, based on their traits. So a character who spent some time in self-reflection might get a +1 from Zivilyn, or someone who showed compassion to another might get a +1 from Mishakal, and so on. Also, more overt deeds are worth more points. Giving a homeless man a few coins might be worth +1 point from Mishakal, whereas building a soup kitchen to help feed many homeless could be worth considerably more.

Then I add up the points. So far, there is no clear pattern. Most of you have 1-2 points in multiple deities. I figure once you acquire enough points in a certain deity's favor, that deity will make some attempt to reach out to you. I was thinking maybe 5 points.

Of course, a PC can always reject any deity that contacts them. However, if the PC continues to rack up points of favor for that deity, they might try again later.

Once you reach that first level of attuning, you'll receive a dream or vision or visitor of some kind from that particular deity. This is them trying to reach out to you. You can then accept them or reject them. If you are playing a cleric and you reach the first level of attuning with your patron deity, then basically the dream is just to 'catch up' on what's happening. If you are a cleric and you reach the first level of attuning with a deity that is not your patron...well...that's awkward, isn't it?

If you reach the second level of attuning (10 points), you are sent a henchman that is a worshiper of that particular god. This henchman might be a cleric or not, it depends. Paladine might also send a knight, for instance, or maybe Habbakuk would send a ranger, etc.
Later on, I decided that if you reach the third tier (15 points), you get some kind of granted power from the deity. What power depends on the deity. Mishakal might give you Lay on Hands, or Sirrion might give you fire immunity, or Takhisis might give you the ability to charm one person a day, or something like that.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

So, it's random.

If I -did- gain access to the Sphere of Fire, would I just have knowledge of something I can't even use?

As for what we have, do you have a list of who has how many points?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Not random, no. I usually talk it out with the player when the time comes and let them choose from a short list of options. That's what I did for Arulia and Grubnick, at any rate.

I wouldn't give a fighter access to an entire sphere, though. That would be way, way too overpowered. I might give you access to one low level spell, at best, that can be used once a day or so.

I have a list in my notes. So far, Felran only has earned 1 point in Gilean.