Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

OOC: The Quest of the Missing Quill

A sandbox Pathfinder adventure set in the far reaches of The Empire, where the province of Trevis clashes with Orcs and Drow.

Moderator: Haahque

Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: OOC: The Quest of the Missing Quill

Post by Just_Ice »

In for a penny, in for a pound.

At this point, I'm not sure how you intend to avoid a fight. It might be better to rip the band-aid off and duel him to reduce total orc enemies.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

So given Zurgo's post, I'm imagining that he's allowing Dubok to take his best shot before combat begins. However this DOES bring up a rather interesting rules question that I've been thinking about, and that is this:

PvP in D&D is really quite deadly, and I have a house rule to deal half damage in PvP to reduce the number of 1 turn kills that occurs. Dubok is built like a PC, so in his attack (a full round action), I rolled him as doing 21 damage, which would disable zurgo in one hit (there's those rules for being at exactly 0 HP). Should I end up implementing the not-before-announced pvp house rule for this (and subsequent) battles? If I do, Dubok would do a mere 11 damage and Zurgo would be able to respond to the assault, if I don't the battle will essentially be over as quickly as it began.

There is also certain nemasis rules that I was considering using with Dubok (and any other Nemesis-es that happen to pop up during the campaign) that essentially makes the nemesis somewhat resistant to damage/effects from people who they aren't the nemesis of. (So, for example in this battle with Dubok, Gaheris might have a tough time doing anything against Dubok, since Dubok is Zurgo's nemesis, and thus his job to take care of the orc-monk.)

Edit: Chris; Yeah, I saw you post that on the holidays thread. Have a good one.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I guess the moral of the story is, never say "take a free shot" to a monk.

If they duel, what are the odds the other orcs will get involved? Would Gaheris know? What if Zurgo wins? Will they honor that or will that just piss them off?
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

The orcs have the benifit of all speaking the orcish language, so they have a pretty good idea of what's going on. Orcs are, on average, pretty honorable, so they're likely to let Zurgo and Dubok fight it out without interference, that is if the party (some of which don't know exactly what's going on) doesn't make any threatening moves.

If Zurgo should manage to win a duel, you can imagine Dubok would be really pissed, but the orcs would probably (begrudgingly) honor the result. For now.
Veni Vidi Vici
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

Haahque wrote:So given Zurgo's post, I'm imagining that he's allowing Dubok to take his best shot before combat begins. However this DOES bring up a rather interesting rules question that I've been thinking about, and that is this:

PvP in D&D is really quite deadly, and I have a house rule to deal half damage in PvP to reduce the number of 1 turn kills that occurs. Dubok is built like a PC, so in his attack (a full round action), I rolled him as doing 21 damage, which would disable zurgo in one hit (there's those rules for being at exactly 0 HP). Should I end up implementing the not-before-announced pvp house rule for this (and subsequent) battles? If I do, Dubok would do a mere 11 damage and Zurgo would be able to respond to the assault, if I don't the battle will essentially be over as quickly as it began.

There is also certain nemasis rules that I was considering using with Dubok (and any other Nemesis-es that happen to pop up during the campaign) that essentially makes the nemesis somewhat resistant to damage/effects from people who they aren't the nemesis of. (So, for example in this battle with Dubok, Gaheris might have a tough time doing anything against Dubok, since Dubok is Zurgo's nemesis, and thus his job to take care of the orc-monk.)

Edit: Chris; Yeah, I saw you post that on the holidays thread. Have a good one.

While I feel this roll of 21 damage is somewhat karmic, I think halved PvP "duel" damage is a good idea and you might as well set precedent.
keymeister16
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by keymeister16 »

considering i like 'not dying turn 1'. i'll second this.

and ya, Zurgos gloating him into making the first attack, take it as you will.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

So yeah, 50% damage for pvp/pvn it is then. I updated the basic rules thread with these changes, as well as some rules for nemasises (in addition to the usual -> built like characters of the exact same level at all times, can cheat to escape it it's not dramatically correct for the to fall here/now :P).
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Sorry that this seems to have devolved into a 1-player conflict, but I have a seeking suspicion that Zurgo is learning a lot from this clash with his nemasis, valuable information for later. Dubok think's he's teaching a lesson: that he vastly out-classes the half-orc ragemage. Actually he's teaching him a lesson: what his fighting style is.

I could always involve everyone else by having the reset of the orcs attack if you want :twisted:
Otherwise, let's hope that this ends rather quickly. Keep cheering for the good guys!
Veni Vidi Vici
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Hihim puts out (in Orcish), "Are we gonna talk? Then how 'bout we get on an' talk?"
Last edited by Chris1234 on Sat May 28, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Gaheris would easily have enough local knowledge to know that goblins and orcs are not allied, in fact they frequently fight. Orcs form an empire which is primarily composed of orcs, although they've been known to hire ogres or giants every now and then for extra muscle. Goblins are more of a tribal creature which seem to spring up everywhere in small groups. Goblins generally have no friends, although they're known for subduing wolves and ogres into doing their cruel bidding.

(In game terms, orcs are a faction that can be allied with or at odds with, just like the empire or the drow, while goblins will generally always attack you, no matter who you decide to side with).
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

So congratulations, this game is now officially one year old today.

Also, I believe we're waiting on keymeister to respond...but he hasn't logged in for a month now. Haahque, should I just go ahead and move things forward without him?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Yes, I think that's been patient enough.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Yeah, I can try and contact him, but he's sort of the player I have the least reliable contact info from (that isn't playing on anther game on this forum currently).

But go ahead and make a decisive decision and I'll try and move the plot forward.
Veni Vidi Vici
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

OK, let's get on with this.
A month of waiting is more than enough.

@Jaded, I think you were the leader here, so your call - you command and we obey. :)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@GM - nice bit of 'broken speech'.