Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Liri, Calah & Maughus (private thread Breila and Hordeling)

Second Edition AD&D

A gritty "low-fantasy" game in which the line between right and wrong may occasionally blur, set in a non-canon Greyhawk-based world.

Moderator: Stik

Forum rules
Players should expect to post two to three times per week. 

Players should have a working knowledge of Second Edition AD&D

Experienced adult/mature players are preferred.

No munchkins allowed, and min-maxing will be frowned upon.

Core rulebooks and "Complete" series books will be used.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Liri, Calah & Maughus (private thread Breila and Hordeling)

Post by Stik »

Without a wagon to slow the pace, the trip to the way station is a quick one. In a short time the three riders begin to smell the smoke of a cookfire. A short time later the way station itself comes into view.
The road runs thought some sparse woods into a clearing. On one side of the road are five buildings - a tired looking wooden barn, a large unadorned building which from the outside looks like a legion barracks, a building with a porch wrapped around two sides and several shuttered windows, a plain house with a walled forecourt, and off to one side a smokehouse. The roof of the barracks has collapsed in places.
In the clearing a small boy is throwing a stick around, playing fetch with an ugly-looking dog. He stops and grabs the dog by the collar when he sees the riders.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Re: Liri, Calah & Maughus (private thread Breila and Hordeli

Post by Breila »

"Greetings, young man" Liri says to the boy in he melodious voice as she rides forward. "Would there be room in the station for the night?"
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

The boy stares, completely at a loss as to how to respond. Then he turns an runs for the house, shouting: "M-o-o--o-o-o-o-o-o-m!" his voice bouncing with his steps.

The dog just sits and lets out an unenthusiastic growl.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"This place is guarded, you see?" Liri says to Maughus and Calah with a smile, pointing at the dog. Despite that casualness, her hand is tight on the reins so that she could turn Casta at shortest notice. She also surveys the area for any sign of movement, listening hard.

Hear noise check: 1d100=30, pass
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

The boy is briefly visible as he runs from the main house to the smokehouse, still shouting. He goes quiet for a moment, then reappears, this time running back behind the main house from whence comes the sound of metal clanging on metal.

A moment later, a woman comes out from behind the smokehouse. She is wearing a grease-and-soot-smudged apron which has done an imperfect job of keeping her dress clean. Her arms are dirty as well, although her hands and the first six inches above each wrist are clean. She is holding a large, broad-bladed knife, like a meat cleaver, in her left hand, but her hand is down by her side.
Another boy, this one probably in his early teens, comes out of the barn carrying a brush hook over his shoulder. He looks a bit jumpy, but resolute.

"Welcome, guests. The others are coming...to help you with your horses.
"If you wish to stay the night, the barn has a good roof and good walls all around. I regret we cannot offer you better rooms at present, but the longhouse is in need of repair."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"You seem to be doing a good job" Liri tells the woman with a smile. "There is no need to fetch people to take care of our horses yet, we're just scouting to see if there is shelter for our group and a wagon. We will be back shortly." She casually turns Casta around and gets ready to lead her off the premises.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"There is shelter. And food, if you want it. How many are you?" The woman's voice is polite and perhaps purposefully nonchalant.

The ringing behind the house has stopped, and the small boy returns to stand by his dog. He stares at Liri pointedly, focusing mostly on her face.

The dog merely sits there, calm yet wary.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Liri ignores the woman's question and looks back at the boy. "Do you have something to ask me?" she asks him.
Hordeling
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Hordeling »

Calah remains silent through it all, her dark, nearly black eyed gaze floating across the surroundings, examining everything in a comprehensive sweep of the area.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

The mother answers for the child. "We don't see many First-born here. Forgive him his curiosity, please."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Forgive him his curiosity?" Liri asks back, then laughs. "There is nothing to forgive, because I am happy about it. I prefer that people learn for themselves and don't just listen to rumors." She smiles at the boy. "My name is Liriodendra to Corylus, of the Imperial Messenger Service" she says, drawing herself high. "But I am travelling in private now, so everybody calls me Liri." She uses her charm to busy the people so that Maughus and Calah can have a good look around.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

The way station seems typical of its sort. Traffic in the area being somewhat infrequent, portions of it have been allowed to fall somewhat into disrepair (hence the partially collapsed roof in the barracks building) but the barn looks solid enough, as does the public house and the home behind it.
The woods around the buildings have been pushed back quite some distance (the trees having been felled to provide building materials for the structures, and possibly for firewood) although the stumps of trees have not been removed except in the immediate area of the buildings, and in the access ways, while a few trees have been purposely preserved to provide shade.

On the whole, the place looks safe and welcoming.

"Troya" the woman says to Liri, "and my sons, Milius and Lagos. And that is Kray."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Liri nods at each person in turn as they are introduced. Then, after an exchange of glances with Maughus and Callah that they have not noticed anything suspicious either, Liri says:
"Thank you, Troya. We are a party of eleven, with a wagon and animals. We're self-sufficient, so what we most need is the shelter of the buildings. But we will gladly buy from you any food you have to offer."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"We can offer cooked food, supplies, and some trade goods. Some Viatori came through here a few days ago, so we have some unusual items in the trading post, if you're interested.
"I can set a table for you and yours in the pub."
Hordeling
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Hordeling »

"I think food is always welcome," Calah says. "Shall I return to the others with our findings?"