Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 5: Vying Factions

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

BishGada
Viscount
Viscount
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 5: Vying Factions

Post by BishGada »

"An army?" Tulbas asks, fear crawls to his voice. "Do you think it's the Red Army?" the horrors of the attack on his family come back to his mind and with that the questions about his sister survival. Tulbas quickly sinks to his own thoughts and gets very quiet.

After a while he recovers, "Do you think Haven can stand a siege? What about the refugees out of the walls? And Jaymes, you should warn the villagers as well."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Won't we need some tools to cut through metal and drill holes in wood?" asks Ismene.

Magnus, who has been quiet throughout and shown little reaction, looks to Tulbas. "Haven is in shambles. Who would even lead such a defense? The Highseekers? The Holy Guard? The Cult?"

While the party stands around discussing what they should do and what the implications of the army could mean, Raena and Burzan have slowly been moving into position. Without warning, both strike. Raena slashes Zoya across her stomach and the woman staggers back, clutching the wound. Burzan raises his massive maul overhead and brings it down on the unsuspecting Mateo, completely squashing him into pulp. "M-Mateo!" Zoya cries, helpless.

"Some bodyguards. Guess you get what you pay for," Raena remarks.

Miriam draws her blade. "What is the meaning of this?" she demands.

Magnus chuckles darkly. "I was wondering when Darewind would make his move. I suspected the warrior woman, though. Nobody is that goody-goody."

"Nobody move!" warns Raena.

"This is by Darewind's order," Burzan adds. "These three," he says, gesturing to Gregeddin, Tulbas and Haahqae, "are heretics of evil who defy the Master's will."

"What?" Miriam asks, clearly lost.

"You heard the elf earlier. When he called Darewind a renegade. He also did so in front of a large crowd only a day before," Burzan says, pointing to Tulbas. "He is a traitor and Darewind sent us to make sure he doesn't return from this quest. As for the other two, they have gone out of their way to try and make the prophet look foolish and undermine his authority. They, too, will face the judgment of the Master."

"And he is paying a shit ton to do it, too," Raena adds. "Guess he came into a lot of steel recently."

"If you, the Black Robe and Ismene stay out of this, no harm will come to you," Burzan says to Miriam. "We'll even let this one live," he says, nodding to Zoya, "but only if you stay out of it."

Magnus chuckles again. "Sorry to disappoint, but you aren't touching the boy. Tulbas, come stand by me. I have a spell that will end this situation post-haste."

Miriam looks between the party and the cultists, hesitating. "Is this true?" she asks of the party. "Are you heretics and agents of evil?"

===========

Raena slashes with her primary hand axe with great skill (+1) at Zoya [AC 8] (1d20+1): 5, miss. She then slashes with her secondary hand axe with great skill (+1) at Zoya [AC 8] (1d20+1): 17, hit for (1d6+2): 8 damage. Zoya is now critically wounded.
Burzan swings his maul with excellent strength (+2) and great skill (+1) at Mateo [AC 8] (1d20+3): 18, hit for (2d4+5): 10 (x2) = 20 damage. Mateo is killed.
Attachments
Giant's Lair 05.jpg
Giant's Lair 05.jpg (92.93 KiB) Viewed 7556 times
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Nope, it's false. Ever since I came to Haven all I've done is entertain poor spirited tavern-goers, re-open an iron mine by cleansing it of demons, rescue a fair damsel in distress and slay a giant that was terrorizing the countryside. If that's evil then I think I got to go back to a church or temple or something to get my morals realigned. As for Darewind, I've always treated him with the utmost honor and non-disrespectful-ness." Haahqae declares, with more then a hint of pride in his voice.

"As for you two, it looks to me like you just attacked two honored allies of mine without provocation, and that's not something I take to kindly." He follows up, with some menace in his voice. Drawing an arrow and notching it, he looses it at the half-ogre.

(Haahqae shoots 2 arrows at Burzan)
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin, outraged yells, his voice echoing around the chamber. "How dare you! How dare you strike down your bothers and sisters whom have worked with you to save the people of this city!." He charges and slashes furiously at Burzan. "We as a group have saved villagers and slain a tyrannous giant from enslaving the village of Esker, and you go and kill one of us! Under the false pretence that we meant your 'master' harm?! The Abyss shall show you justice for turning upon your comrades, for turning upon those who seek to help those who cannot help themselves!!"
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks completely shocked at Mateo lifeless body. Then he moves near Magnus and tells Burzan, "Can't you hear yourself?? Instead of helping the cultists Darewind uses the ransom money, which he would never have without me and my friends assistance, to murder anyone who wouldn't blindly follow him! Is this a way a true prophet will take? No I tell you! A true prophet will guide and help others to see the truth, not terrorize them and kill everyone who doesn't agree! Don't become his murderous tool Burzan!" Tulbas cries, giving the assassins last chance reconsidering their actions.

==============================
(OOC: Is the shield still active?)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Giant's Lair
Forging diplomacy of any kind, Haahqae and Gregeddin immediately attack. Zoya remains where she is, clutching her gut wound and staring at Mateo's remains. Ismene and Miriam stand where they are, uncertainty on both their faces, as they try and decide who they are supposed to help and who they should fight against; or if they should stay out of it altogether.

Tulbas moves toward Magnus and pleads with Burzan. But he never gets the half-ogres answer. Just as he finishes talking, Magnus puts his hand on the elf's shoulder, reads something from a scroll and then both mages vanish in flash of violet light.

Gregeddin charges Burzan with such ferocity that he actually manages to draw some blood from the half-ogre. However, in doing so, he's put himself within range of Burzan's massive maul. "They are no brothers or sisters of mine," Burzan states. "They are not even followers of the Master. And neither are you!" With a battle cry, he brings the maul down on top of Gregeddin. The bard manages to jump aside and watches as the hammer cracks the ground where he had been just standing. It's clear Gregeddin is very unlikely to survive even a single hit from that thing. "I thought you were a hero! But you are a betrayer to everything Darewind has built!" he roars.

"Little one's mine!" Raena calls out to her companion, rushing over to Haahqae. She slashes at him with her axes, managing to cut pretty deeply into him. Ignoring her for now, instead Haahqae fires a pair of arrows at Burzan. The first hits him in the shoulder, sinking in nicely. The second, however, gets stuck in his hide armor and never pierces the skin underneath. "It's too bad. I actually like you guys. But five hundred steel is five hundred steel! Nothing personal!"

Mageware shop
The world around Tulbas darkens and spins. He gets the strangest sensation that he is somehow being torn apart and sent in various directions, although there is no pain to suggest this is so. His vision blurs, his stomach flips and his knees go weak. When the sensation passes, he realizes he and Magnus are no longer standing in the giant's lair. Rather, they are back at the mageware shop. "Give yourself a moment to breathe," Magnus advises. "One's first time teleporting can be...incredibly disorienting, to say the least."

"By the gods!" Agatha cries out. She had been just entering the room when the two appeared and she was clutching at her heart. "You half scared me to death!"

==========

Initiative
Haahqae (1d10+7): 16
Gregeddin (1d10+4): 9
Tulbas (N/A)
Zoya (N/A)
Raena (1d10+4): 10
Burzan (1d10+9): 11
Ismene (N/A)
Miriam (N/A)
Magnus (1d10+2): 8

Round 1!

Zoya does nothing.
Ismene does nothing.
Miriam does nothing.
Tulbas moves 5 feet east, toward Magnus.
Magnus casts Teleport from a scroll while touching Tulbas. They vanish.
Gregeddin charges (+2 to hit, -2 to initiative, +1 to AC) toward Burzan 20 feet and slashes with his Solamnic (+1 to hit) broad sword [AC 5] (1d20+2): 20, hit for (1d6+2): 8 damage. Burzan is moderately wounded.
Raena moves 5 feet north and 5 feet east and slashes at Haahqae with her primary hand axe with great skill (+1 to hit) [AC 7] (1d20+1): 19, hit for (1d6+2): 3 damage. She then slashes at Haahqae with her secondary hand axe with great skill (+1 to hit) [AC 7] (1d20+1): 6, miss. Haahqae is now seriously wounded.
Burzan swings his maul with excellent strength (+2 to hit) and great skill (+1 to hit) at Gregeddin who just charged (+1 to hit) [AC 8] (1d20+4): 6, miss.
Haahqae fires a sheaf arrow from his short bow at Burzan with excellent aim (+2 to hit) at short range against his hide armor(+2 to hit) [AC 5] (1d20+4): 21, hit for (1d8): 7 damage. Burzan is now seriously wounded.
Haahqae fires a sheaf arrow from his short bow at Burzan with excellent aim (+2 to hit) at short range against his hide armor (+2 to hit) [AC 5] (1d20+4): 13, miss.

(OOC: I'm guessing that wasn't what you were expecting Magnus to do. :P)
Attachments
Giant's Lair 06.jpg
Giant's Lair 06.jpg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas body is still tense for the fight. This tense together with the sensation of the teleporting is overwhelming. He leans on a close by stool but then a mixture of feelings cross his face. "Magnus! You made me abandon my friends at a time of need! I guess you want to protect me as you initially claimed, but give me some credit and let me deal with my own troubles." Focusing again on the immediate surrounding Tulbas asks Agatha as he moves towards Raetmal's bed, "How is Raetmal? Did he recover?" Then his next thoughts are on two subjects, the first aiding his friends and the second warning the city about the coming army.
"Magnus. Thanks. Is there any way you can help my friends?" Tulbas asks, even that as soon as the words come out of his mouth he already knows the answer. Why would a black robed mage risk himself to help other people he doesn't care about and moreover completely disrespect them.

========================================================
(OOC: Yep! Certainly took me by surprise. BTW, was it a quote from Harry Potter?)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Haahqae’s surprise at Magnus’s and Tulbas’s abandonment of them is only surpassed by the feeling of pain Haahqae feels. As the axe bites deep into Haahqae’s shoulder, the pain is excruciating, the worst he’s felt since he was near Professor Groth’s failed experiment.

Turning to Ismene with a pleading look on his face. “Ismene, arcane, run while you can. I’m afraid I might not make it to the pub to celebrate, but don’t let that stop you from having a good night. All I ask is when you order your drinks, get yourself an extra one to remember me by.”

Haahqae backs away from Raena and retorts to her comment. “Five hundred steel pieces for murder is worth nothing. Someone should only take a mission to gain knowledge or help others or to keep yourself fed. By killing us you’re destroying knowledge and killing those who help others in order to get steel that you don’t need to keep yourself fed. You just got paid well for a legitimate job, with that steel you could eat for months.”

If he should somehow manage to live long enough, Haahqae will then continue his barrage at Burzan.

(Plead with Ismene, withdraw from Raena, fire 2 arrows at Burzan)
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Haahqae! No!" Gregeddin yells desperately as he watches his friend being attacked, "Help them Miriam, would you? This is your time to choose... to choose what you value, to choose what mark you will leave upon this world..." He pleads to her as he duels with Burzan, attempting to strike him down.

"Five hundred steel?!" He screams down the half ogre's throat, "You should have asked for more, that's pittance for the last people trying to do what's good and right in this city! Though good luck collecting on that for a failed job, you've already lost one, and his whereabouts will die with me!"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin and Haahqae (Giant's lair)
Haahqae wrote:“Ismene, Arcane, run while you can.”
Ismene does not run, though, but remains rooted into place; she seems unable to tear away her gaze from the in-fighting of the group.
Haahqae wrote:"You just got paid well for a legitimate job, with that steel you could eat for months.”
"There's more to life than just food!" Raena counters. "Besides, what was I supposed to do? Turn down the enraged cult leader? I'd sooner not wind up on his hit list, thanks!"
Gregeddin wrote:"You should have asked for more, that's pittance for the last people trying to do what's good and right in this city! Though good luck collecting on that for a failed job, you've already lost one, and his whereabouts will die with me!"
"Choke on your lies, blasphemer! As for the boy, he'll be simple enough to find. Not too many elven children in the city!" Burzan replies.

Gritting her teeth, Miriam draws her blade and moves toward Burzan. With one quick blow, she slices through his armor and flesh, cutting him down before Gregeddin can even act. The half-ogre drops to the ground, bleeding profusely.

Before Haahqae can move away, Raena slashes at him again. She cuts into him a second time, leaving him on his last legs. He manages to back away from her before she can attack again, and fires an arrow at her. But it just clangs off her chain mail.

"Shit," Raena says upon realizing she's outnumbered. "Don't do this, Langtree. Darewind wants them dead; you gonna be the one to cross him? I've seen his power. I sure don't want to be left a dried up husk."

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
Magnus shrugs. "Your friends will survive or not. Your presence would not have changed anything. Besides, they were foolish to trust followers of Darewind."

Marvin steps out from Raetmal's room and looks almost as surprised as his wife. "What the...? You're back? Well, good timing. He's been up for about an hour now. Keeps asking for you. He's still very weak. Don't let him get up for another day or so, at least. He'll open up all his wounds if he exerts himself."

Hurrying inside his uncle's room, he finds Raetmal laying there on his bed, conscious. "T-Tulbas," he gasps upon seeing him. "You...you must flee. They're coming. They're...coming," he says, repeating the last thing he said before he first lost consciousness.

"The Red Dragonarmy?" asks Magnus as he steps inside the room, his hands behind his back. "No, dear friend. You've been out for days. They are already here."

Raetmal grits his teeth and tries to sit up, but isn't able to. "M-Magnus," he says with venom, despite his weakness.

==========

Initiative
Haahqae (1d10+7): 14
Gregeddin (1d10+4): 9
Zoya (N/A)
Raena (1d10+4): 12
Burzan (1d10+9): 14
Ismene (N/A)
Miriam (1d10+4): 7

Round 2!

Zoya does nothing.
Ismene does nothing.
Miriam moves 20 feet south and 10 feet southwest. She slashes at Burzan with her enchanted (+1 to hit/dmg) long sword with great skill (+1 to hit, +2 to dmg) and great strength (+1 to hit/dmg) [AC 5] (1d20+3): 14, hit for (1d12+4): 10 damage. Burzan falls.
Gregeddin has no target in range.
Raena slashes at Haahqae with her primary hand axe with great skill (+1 to hit) [AC 7] (1d20+1): 11, bare hit for (1d6+2): 4 damage. She then slashes at Haahqae with her secondary hand axe with great skill (+1 to hit) [AC 7] (1d20+1): 9, miss. Haahqae is now near death.
Haahqae withdraws 30 feet to the east. He then fires a sheaf arrow from his short bow at Raena with excellent aim (+2 to hit) at short range [AC 1] (1d20+2): 13, miss.
Burzan is down.
Raena has no target in range.
Burzan is down.
BishGada wrote:(OOC: Yep! Certainly took me by surprise. BTW, was it a quote from Harry Potter?)
(OOC: If I quoted Harry Potter, it wasn't intentional.)
Attachments
Giant's Lair 07.jpg
Giant's Lair 07.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 7524 times
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin was stunned by the image of Burzan slumping down in front of him, his blood filling the cracks in the ground that his maul so mightily made moments before. He looks up at Miriam, and replies to Raena's comment, "Miriam is free to make her own choices, she doesn't have to live in fear of anyone's shadow. Now back away from these innocent people and stand down!!"

Catching his adversary's reflection in the polished edge of Miriam's blade, Gregeddin pivots and launches himself with his full weight behind his sword straight towards Raena. If he had the strength of a giant he wished he could send her back ten yards away from Zoya and Haahqae with this one swipe of his blade. However, putting his body in between Raena and Zoya to protect the incapacitated woman was probably the best he was going to get against an experienced fighter.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Yes there is more to life then food. There is knowledge which you are destroying by attacking those that wish to learn. There is honor, which you are tarnishing by attacking unsuspecting allies. And there is love, which you cannot win with an axe or bow. If you did not wish to enrage the cult leader while you were near him, you could have lied. Lying is easy, and doesn't tarnish your good name like betrayal does. I thought you wanted your family to be respected."
Haahqae, stunned by Raena's response, lowers his bow. "It sounds to me like you've never truly lived if you think steel can buy happiness. I want to fight you as little as you wish to fight me. The difference is that I am strong enough to put down my bow and talk things over like civilized gnomes."

(If Raena moves towards Haahqae, he'll flee and hide in the cage.)
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

The moment Tulbas hears Marvin says his uncle is up he forgets everything, hugs Marvin firmly and runs to his uncle. He falls to his knees near Raetmals bed, and takes his hand. "Uncle," he says near tears, "I'm so happy to see you up again! How do you feel?"
When he sees the emotions and concerns Raetmal shows he tells him, "Uncle. You should rest a little longer. Don't get distressed. I'll get you some herbal tea and once you are a bit stronger we can discuss matters at hand."
When he leaves the rooms Tulbas say to Magnus, "Magnus, please follow me." and out of the room he continues, "Well, so much for being old friends right? I now trust you barely enough to know you are not going to kill me right away, and to tell you that I don't trust you farther. I'd appreciate if you can tell be what had passed between you two so I can analyze better our next group discussions. And another thing that bothers me. You said Darewind followers ambushed and attacked Raetmal. Raetmal last words before he passed out were the warning of ominous forces arriving, and now you immediately known he spoke of the Red Army, so my question is this, does Darewind have connection to the Red Army, was Darewind ambush a lie you told me or was it all coincidence?"

================================
(
OOC: Well sorry about mentioning Harry :).
I just thought it rings a bell so I looked it up, but the only source I found is this:
)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin and Haahqae (Giant's lair)
Haahqae wrote:"I thought you wanted your family to be respected."
"I have no family. I am clanless," Raena replies.
Haahqaue wrote:"The difference is that I am strong enough to put down my bow and talk things over like civilized gnomes."
"I think you're full of shit. But fine. I know when I'm beaten. I could take you both on without breaking a sweat...but not her," she says, looking to Miriam. She lowers her axes but doesn't put them away. "So how are we going to do this?"

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
Magnus does not leave the room at Tulbas' bidding. Indeed, he moves closer to Raetmal.

"Tulbas!" warns Raetmal when he tries to leave the room. "You cannot trust this man. The Order of Nuitari has sided with the Dragonarmies."

"As you found out the hard way," Magnus notes. "Ahh, Raetmal. It was your own fault for snooping around like that. Even worse, you shouldn't have opposed us." He shakes his head. "It's clear who is going to come out on top here. They've taken most of Ansalon. Only Solamnia and Sancrist are holding out. Well...and the Qualinesti, of course. But that will soon change."

"The dragonarmies destroyed my family!" Raetmal argues.

"And when they get here, they will kill you and Tulbas both," Magnus replies. "They are...rather passionate in their hatred of the elven people." He shrugs. "But it doesn't have to be that way. I've spent some time with your nephew. He's a bright lad. Got a lot of potential. It would be a shame to see it go to waste."

"What are you saying?" asks Raetmal.

"I was sent here ahead as a scout, to help spread chaos and destabilize the city. Although I must admit, your nephew did a great job of that on his own by supporting that crazy cult. I barely had to do anything at all. The Holy Guard have all but collapsed now." He chuckles. "Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes. My reward will be this shop. There will be many Black Robed Wizards in the city after tomorrow, after all. They need a place to shop."

"Bastard!" Raetmal hisses.

"The point is...you are now faced with a choice, old friend." The way Magnus says 'old friend' is laced with sarcasm. "You still have a little time to run and hide before the army arrives. I won't stop you. However...well, you are pretty badly wounded. I imagine you won't get too far. And even if you did, where would you go? And once the army finds you, they'll kill you both on the spot. On the other hand...as I said, Tulbas has potential. And I could use an apprentice. If he agrees to serve me, I will place him under my protection. The army won't touch him. He'll be safe and have a skilled teacher. There is nothing I can do for you, though. But at least Tulbas will survive..."

Raetmal slumps back as if defeated.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas concern to Raetmal turns into hatred and rage as he hears Magnus words. For a moment he is tempted to strike Magnus from behind, seeing him feed and distracted by Raetmal's suffering, but the temptation quickly wears off as he remembers the power Magnus has demonstrated earlier today.
"You..." he says ominously, "I started to believe you are not too bad a person, but now... You disgusting, backstabbing slime..." Tulbas says in rage, "Get out of here until your precious soldier friends come and you can retrieve your 'price'."

====================================
(OOC: Wow! What a situation! I find it very difficult to role play. On one hand Tulbas is not stupid to say the least. He knows he stands no chance against 8th lvl mage. He have seen the spells Magnus had used and almost certain he have at least one more magic missile that would probably kill him instantly. He would also figure out he has some protection spells cast over himself. On the other hand he would never forsaken Raetmal even though he is Neutral. He is the only family left for him and he loves him.
So, what comes to mind is live today to fight another, but in that specific moment, Tulbas might believe that Magnus is distracted gloating in Raetmal's failure and try a sneak attack at Magnus. Also he is SOOO enraged that it might cloud his judgement. Was he less intelligent he would probably attack Magnus. Even if that means I would have to roll a new character :)
)