Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 5: Vying Factions

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 5: Vying Factions

Post by Haahque »

For a mundane quest, this one was sure full of surprises. The problem was most of the surprises weren't the kind that Haahqae liked to have.
"Hey you be careful there." Haahqae calls out to Gregeddin, rushing over to give Ismene her stuff back. However by the time he's close enough to do so Gregeddin's already given them back their equipment.

As the group makes their way to the exit, Haahqae makes sure to address Gregeddin in a stern, but quiet voice: "Change her back. You can have the other two if you really want but I can't have Ismene like that."

On his way out of the cave Haahqae will make sure to pick up and dawn his armour.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin and Haahqae (Giant's lair)
The three women suddenly blink and shake their heads, snapping out of it. Confused, they start picking up their dropped gear and re-equipping it. Haahqae takes the time to put his armor back on, as well.

"Let's get going," Miriam says. "We've wasted too much time as it is." Taking the lead, she heads for the cave entrance. Ismene and Zoya flank Gregeddin and Haahqae. Raena watches them go, her arms crossed.

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
"I'm afraid...that even with a scroll, my body wouldn't survive the trip in this condition," Raetmal says. "I'd be torn apart, literally." He coughs, the spasms causing him further pain.

Marvin does not come with Tulbas calls him. "Ah, are you referring to the old man and woman? I already sent them on their way. Paid them a decent amount, too, with instructions to go home and remain there."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"No harm done." Gregeddin replies to Haahqaeas they begin to march , "I hadn't quite expected things to go that way, the desired recipient wasn't having any of it. But as I said, I wouldn't do that right now because it's unethical and we'd be wasting time." Gregeddin attempts to count ahead the hours on his hand to predict when they'll arrive back in Haven, "If there's time I'd suggest we'd go down the tankard and get some drinks as a group, but we must inform someone about the army on Haven's doorstep and I need to get Zoya home and meet Mateo's family. If there's any life left in us after all that of course." Gregeddin says efficiently but casual, giving as much positivity to the situation that he could manage. For him and Haahqae this was a pretty big accomplishment having done what they've done today.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Hopefully, someday bards will tell stories of this adventure, but right now let's try to make sure it has a happy ending." Haahqae agrees, and hastens on the long march towards the city.
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas stares at Magnus. Desperation feels him. He then turns to his uncle, "Maybe you have a scroll that I can use to get you to safety, like feather fall or Tenser's floating disk?" He whispers in his ears.

========================
(OOC: Can Tulbas use his healing profession extended by Cantrip to bandage Raetmal in a way that will hold even when Raetmal will be shaken when Tulbas try to take him? Also can such Cantrips make Tulbas stronger or Raetmal lighter to help Tulbas carry him? Another thing, is it reasonable to assume Raetmal and Tulbas have some cart in the shop that can be used to move Raetmal without harming him?)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae, Gregeddin and what is left of red team start the long journey back to the city. They have no idea that the rest of the party has had an equally disastrous time.

Meanwhile, back at the mageware shop:

"Scrolls...in the back room," Raetmal says weakly.

"You are referring to my scrolls?" Magnus asks. "This mageware shop is mine now, as is everything in it, after all."

"Warded..," Raetmal replies. "Trapped."

Magnus chuckles darkly. "I've no doubt. But I'll be able to dispel them easily enough. Especially once you are dead, which I imagine will be soon enough. It's below freezing outside. And you do recall Darewind and his men are still looking for you, yes?" he asks Tulbas. "I have to say, I'm quite disappointed. You clearly are not thinking this through. You're letting your emotions cloud your judgment. I expected better from you. It's something we'll have to work on once you become my apprentice," he chides.

Raetmal grunts and groans as he forces himself up into a sitting position. Beads of sweat dot his forehead from the effort and his breathing is ragged. He manages to swing his legs around so that his feet touch the floor, but his weight is kept on the bed itself.

Magnus scoffs. "Pathetic."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas turns to Magnus narrowing his eyes. "I won't let you kill my uncle.." He says while drawing his dagger.

=============================
(OOC: Well, I don't see a way to get both Tulbas and Raetmal out of this mess but if he will enable Raetmal's murder his soul will be lost (And lost souls is a different adventure).
It looks like a desperate situation, so if Tulbas will die in a the next round, it was nice playing with you, and sorry for the delays. :)
Should I roll initiative?)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Magnus scowls and his eyes blaze. "You won't let me? Do you really think you are in a position of power here? Just like a Silvanesti...so arrogant to believe the world revolves around you. I had thought you were at least smarter than the rest of your people." He pauses and takes a breath. "Perhaps the fault is mine. I gave you a choice, to be nice, to show mercy, and you clearly took it as a sign of weakness on my part. Allow me to rectify that now."

He points at Tulbas and chants, "Kalith karan, tobanis-kar!" Four missiles leap from his hand and fly toward Tulbas. His shield spell wore off some time ago, and he realizes he cannot survive such an onslaught, nor can he avoid or block it.

However, at the last second, the missiles swerve away from Tulbas, arc around his body...and continue onward behind him to strike in succession at Raetmal. The force of the blows is enough to knock the elder elf out of the bed entirely. He hits the floor with an audible thump, and his eyes stare upward at Tulbas in pain and shock. Then he seems to look beyond Tulbas, and the light fades from his eyes entirely.

"Your actions have consequences," Magnus says calmly. "There are others in the city you care about, yes? Perhaps that fop and the gnome? The dwarf? Will you throw away their lives, as well? Raetmal mentioned a sister of yours? Should I track her down, as well? Or do you understand now that you have no power here?"

==========

Magnus casts Magic Missiles at Raetmal, dealing (4d4+4): 14 damage. Raetmal is dropped to -13 HP and dies.

(OOC: If you intend to attack, go ahead and roll for initiative.)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Seeing his uncle limp body on the floor, Tulbas spirit crumbles. He falls to his knees, beaten and broken, holds Raetmal's and sobs, ignoring Magnus.

After a while, his red eyes still on Raetmal's body he says quietly, "Please leave my sister alone."

====================================================
(OOC: Magnus got a free action. Tulbas meant to fight him only if there was a chance to save Raetmal by that.
Now that Raetmal is dead Tulbas is just broken.

Well, I admit I have a strong feeling of failure.

Now that it is all done, I'm curious, was there any way to save Raetmal that I failed to see or was this the plan you had for Raetmal? (I recall you said you had plans fo him when he was unconscious)

As far as I understand, if Tulbas would agree to Magnus offer, Magnus still would have killed Raetmal, no?
)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Magnus seems to calm down. "I'm glad you finally see reason," he says. "Take some time to grieve. You won't have a chance later. Then I'd suggest you go up to your room and get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a very big day."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"We need to bury him. At least give him this last honor."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

As the red party are marching back to Haven, Gregeddin takes the time to converse with Miriam, "I wanted to thank you for what you did back there. I truly do hope it was because you found your sense of what was right and wrong rather than favouritism for my dashing good looks." Gregeddin omits a cheeky wink or smile since he was trying to be sincere and genuinely was thankful to her.
"But did you manage to find what you were searching for when you set out on this endeavour? I remember we spoke briefly about your motives before." Gregeddin asks intently.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin and Haahqae (En Route to Haven)
"I hope I've done the right thing," Miriam says. "It was a split second decision, but everything wasn't adding up. If you are evil heretics, why didn't Darewind smite you when he had the chance? Why hire assassins among your crew to take care of you beyond the view of the public? Why not give you a fair trial?" She shakes her head. "Darewind is a good man. I've seen the good works he's done. None of this makes sense. I can only conclude that Raena and Burzan were misguided in some way, or outright lying."

After a few moments of silence, she adds, "As for what I was looking for...I cannot say. If an army really is coming to Haven, perhaps I'll have a chance to prove myself anyway."

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
"Do what you like with it," Magnus says, in reference to the body. "He was a dark elf, so I doubt his people would care if he was buried properly or not. You probably should wait for the morning, though. It's late and the graveyard is quite a walk from here."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas puts back Raetmal's body on the bed and stays with him for a couple of hours. He reflects upon the events that led to this misfortune and grieves heavily for fate, but mostly for his own actions.
Thinking of the events he remembers the Army that will arrive soon. Knowing that from tomorrow he will be forced to serve as Magnus apprentice for years to come, he decides to try one last good action, hoping for some redemption for his responsibility in Raetmal's death and the Holy Guard miserable condition.
He covers himself with hood and goes outside in the excuse of grieving, and then turns to the Steel Tankard. As he gets there he stays outside the crowd but gets the attention of the people at the outer circle and spreads the information about the Red Army advance as if came from a merchant that arrived to the city. Before being forced to engage in conversation, he quickly returns to the dark alleys and then performs the same action in the other taverns of the city.
Afterwards he returns home. As he arrives outside the shop, he looks upon the structure that he came to call home, and now became his worst nightmare, representing his irresponsibility, failure and shame.
Breathing heavily he steps back in hoping his last action will make any difference to at least some of Haven population.
Exhausted physically and mentally he goes upstairs to sleep and wishes morning will never arrive.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin nods in agreement, "Well I think you've done the right thing. Even though I'm biased towards myself and my peers, you may note we too advocated the saviour of the villagers while Raena went straight for the treasure." The bard contemplated how he might react if he ever came into contact with either of them again, his fist clenched around Mateo's citizenship token inside his pocket, although no words escaped his mouth.

"You don't need to fight and die to prove yourself, Miriam" Gregeddin says after the silence, bluntly, "The military tradition of your heritage does not have to be the path you follow. I think this place would be better off with you alive, doing good for people at any rate. But that is only my thoughts on the matter... Sometimes the most worthy actions require willpower instead of strength." He looked over at her, wondering to himself many a thing. But near the top of his list was why she was so convinced of Darewind's good nature even in the face of inconsistent experience, Greggedin however had learned not to query allegiances to Darewind from Tulbas' folly earlier.