Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 5: Vying Factions

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 5: Vying Factions

Post by Haahque »

"First, we both put down any weapons and explosives we're carrying. That includes my bow and your axes." Haahqae suggests. "Then we try to help our dying allies. We should investigate Zoya and Mateo. You can see if anything can be done for Burzan."

"When we've done all we can for them we figure out what we're going to do with an army just outside that can probably reach the city before we do. I don't believe the guard or the cult can hold out more then a few days against an actual army."
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin and Haahqae (Giant's lair)
Miriam sheathes her blade and moves toward Burzan, kneeling down by him. "He still yet lives," she says. She removes her tabard and begins tearing it up to make bandages for him and Zoya.

Mateo was smashed like a bug. Nothing short of the divine magic of yore could bring him back; he is absolutely and without a doubt completely dead.

"We can't move him," Miriam says. "He's too big. But it may be awhile before he comes to."

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
"I'm afraid I need an answer now," Magnus insists. "So what will it be?"

Raetmal sighs heavily. "Tulbas, you must accept. I can't even get out of this bed. And he's right...as soon as they see we are elven, they'll kill us on the spot. You must survive this. Your sister is still out there, and with us both dead there is no one left to find her."

"What's more," Magnus adds, "is that when the army finds you, they won't offer a clean, quick death either. They love to torture elves. They may think you have information about your homeland...and even if they don't, they do it for fun anyway. If you accept my bargain, though, I'll offer a quick and painless death to your uncle."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin barely manages to sheath his sword, he was still seething with rage at the pair's betrayal. Not knowing any first aid, he can only cradle Zoya's head attempting to comfort her, whispering "I'm so sorry this was never meant to happen to you both."

Replying to Haahqae, the bard says "We still need to get back to Haven, to warn the people, and fulfil other obligations..." He looks over solemnly at Mateo's remains, "Kendra and Darga ought to know too, and maybe she can speak to the High Seekers to warn them if they don't already know... Not that they could do much..."

"As for our security, I need to be sure that you aren't going to stab us in the back on our way out of here, or hunt us down in the middle of the night or at a future time."
Gregeddin thinks for a moment before declaring, "Your citizenship token, throw it over here. Burzan's and Mateo's too. That way we can leave your here to nurse your brother in arms, and you can't follow us back to Haven. I'm not going to leave you with the option to hire a killer to finish your job so that steel and platinum is coming with us too."

Gregeddin speaks softly again to Zoya, "We'll get you back home, don't worry. Do you remember who Mateo has back in Haven?" and then goes to search Mateo's remains for any cherished keepsakes or personal effects that he can bring back to the fallen man's loved ones.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Hmm, without Burzan I don't think the cage-kart can be made fast enough for us to get to Haven before the army. If we tried running there I don't want to think about what would happen to us if we got caught by the army out in the open. I mean I would probably be ok, cause I'm not bad at staying quiet and out of sight, but what of Ismene and Gregeddin? And also Miriam? But on the other hand, if we delay, we could be caught on the outside of a seige, and that would be just as unpleasant. Maybe we should just all go to Esker and see if we can buy ponies."
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas hopes Marvin hears the commotion and understands the risks at hand. Trying to collect all his might to bargain with the powerful wizard he breathes deeply. "If you put Raetmal too under your protection, I'll serve you." Tulbas says, eventually as he moves to stand between the two, "Otherwise you said you will not stop us from leaving. I'll get a stretcher and someone to help me and we will manage somehow."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gregeddin wrote: "Your citizenship token, throw it over here. Burzan's and Mateo's too. That way we can leave your here to nurse your brother in arms, and you can't follow us back to Haven. I'm not going to leave you with the option to hire a killer to finish your job so that steel and platinum is coming with us too."
"The Abyss with that," Raena objects. "Your plan is to leave us here with no money, no food or water, and no way back into the city? You might as well just kill us now."
Gregeddin wrote:Do you remember who Mateo has back in Haven?"
"His parents...they live in the harbor district," Zoya answers, still rather pale...either from the lost blood or the shock of what happened; it's not clear.

Gregeddin searches Mateo's....remains. He wasn't carrying much; he likely left anything important at home. Aside from his clothes and armor--both of which are covered in gore--there is his short sword and the long sword Gregeddin gave him.
Haahqae wrote:But on the other hand, if we delay, we could be caught on the outside of a seige, and that would be just as unpleasant. Maybe we should just all go to Esker and see if we can buy ponies."
"The army is currently camped in the vale, yes?" Miriam asks. "So they probably won't move until morning. If we hurry, we can probably reach the city before then. But it won't give the people much time to prepare. It's better than nothing. As for ponies, I doubt one could carry me. And if they have no ponies, we've wasted time going there."

"I'm afraid that's not possible," Magnus replies. "When the army arrives, they will round up any elves they find, torture them for what they know, and then kill them. I can save you, but only by claiming you as my apprentice. I can convince them I have persuaded you to join the cause, to become a dark elf. I cannot make that claim for Raetmal. Aside from being too old to be my apprentice, he's already declared his allegiance to Wayreth and the army knows that."

He peers down at the young elf. "Where would you take him? Do you think there's anywhere in the city where you can hide him? Even if you smuggle him out of the city somehow, then where? The army holds all of Abanasinia--Solace, Crossing, New Ports, Gateway...all of it. Except Haven. Which they will take tomorrow without breaking a sweat. And the Qualinesti...which will fall soon afterward, even if they did take you in...which they would not, as you well know."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"I figure we can leave them with the money. If Darwin's crazy enough to spend 500 steel on killing us. Wait was that 500 between the two of you or 500 each? Are we worth 1000 steel? Anyways, if we're worth that much money to someone already in the city I don't think a couple hundred well earned steel on the person of a failed murderer wouldn't make much difference."
"The army is currently camped in the vale, yes?" Miriam asks. "So they probably won't move until morning. If we hurry, we can probably reach the city before then. But it won't give the people much time to prepare. It's better than nothing. As for ponies, I doubt one could carry me. And if they have no ponies, we've wasted time going there."
"In that case... we have no time to waste in getting to the city. Let's leave behind all this petty squabbling that will just get us all killed and set out for Haven. Now!"
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"May as well kill you now?! We are showing you mercy, the chance to live and flee to a village away from Haven, where there is a massive army on the doorstep now anyway, and you're being picky about your fate?" Gregeddin spits back, "Where was the mercy for Mateo! Where! He was just trying to make an honest enough living with mercenary work, now he's dead and his family left without a son. What fate for them?" The bard glares darkly at the dwarven woman. He retrieves only the citizenship token from Mateo, his hand warm from the dissipating heat of fluids. "You understand your actions have consequences." Gregeddin says coldly, slowly extends his hand towards Raena, palm opening to reveal Mateo's token, red slime slipping out from between his fingers...

"Your tokens"

The two simple words were spoken to Raena, but seemed to echo all around the giant's chamber.

Gregeddin replies to Haahqae determined, "Haahqae, I'n going to ask you to trust me on this one, because I don't trust them. They almost wiped us clean out and I am not about to give them the capability to get geared up and finish us off. We do need to high tail it back to Haven, and we will be off in a minute because this ordeal has reached its conclusion."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas anger seems to fade, his face calm and his eyes focused a little bit behind Magnus. "I'd rather die trying to save both of us, than win life of misery at the cost of Raetmal's own." Tulbas says simply. Then he looks back at Magnus, "I understand your logic, and I know all odds are against us, but I can't live with the alternative. Why won't you let Raetmal teleport himself to Wayreth? I'll still serve you. Otherwise, you already got your price, let me at least try to save my only family."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Agreed," Miriam says to Haahqae. "The more time we waste here, the less time we'll have to get back."

Raena shakes her head and crosses her arms. "You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hand first," she tells Gregeddin, then spits on the ground by his feet.

"Tulbas, don't be a fool," Raetmal says weakly. "I cannot even get out of this bed, nevermind cast a powerful spell. Don't throw your life away for me." He coughs, spitting up a bit of blood.

Magnus shakes his head. "You'll know where to find me if you come to your senses," he says. "Here, in my new shop."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

A bit lost and confused, Haahqae turns to Ismene for guidance. "What do you think we should do?"
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin sighs heavily as he plonks his pack on the ground and strips off his armour, stowing it.

The bard proceeds to place Mateo's token on the ground and begins ranting and raving in some strange language, gesturing vividly as if pleading or praising directly to the small disc. If there were any linguists in the group they would notice what started as a frustrated outburst in elven slowly changed into the slippery phonemes of the arcane tongue. After about half a minute of this, Gregeddin stops abruptly.

Gazing deep into Raena's eyes, he picks up the token and once again extends his plam with a wide smile and soothing and eerie voice, "Are you sure you don't want to? It sounds like such a good offer that I'd hate for you to miss out on. You'd just have to hand over your things and then we'd be off, off and away..."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae wrote: "What do you think we should do?"
"I think Miriam is right. We should just get moving now. If we keep a steady pace, we might get back by morning," Ismene replies.
Gregeddin wrote: "Are you sure you don't want to? It sounds like such a good offer that I'd hate for you to miss out on. You'd just have to hand over your things and then we'd be off, off and away..."
Raena blinks at Gregeddin and raises a brow. "Uh...no, sod off. Did you go crazy or something?" she asks.

Zoya, Ismene and Miriam, however, all approach the bard and dump their gear at his feet--their backpacks, weapons, and anything else they are carrying. All three women have a glassy look in their eyes, as they stare off into nothing.

===========

Gregeddin casts Hypnotism, centered on Raena, affecting (1d6): 4 people for 4 rounds.
----Raena saves vs. spell while looking Gregeddin in the eye (-2) and feeling hostile toward him (+3) with poor willpower (-1) and dwarven resistance (+3) [16] (1d20+3): 17+3 = 20, pass.
----Zoya saves vs. spell with poor willpower (-1) [17] (1d20-1): 15-1 = 14, fail.
----Miriam saves vs. spell while wearing a ring of protection (+1) [15] (1d20+1): 9+1 = 10, fail.
----Ismene saves vs. spell with gnomish resistance (+3) [12] (1d20+3): 8+3 = 11, fail.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin shrugs coyly in response to Reana, "Worth a shot to ask again nicely, I should have added in a flirty wink really but that might have been a big much for the others to handle." He briefly looks Miriam up and down amorously with a soft hum, before declaring "But no, it would be wrong to abuse my enchanting personality... right now."

The bard claps his hands twice and says aloud to Ismene, Zoya and Miriam, "Right team we'd best be off before it's too late so grab your things and lets hot foot it to Haven." Going around thrusting their belongings back into their arms in turn as he was speaking.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Uncle," he asks, "Don't you have a wand or a scroll that would make it easier for you?" Then Tulbas afraid to leave his uncle alone with Magnus, calls Marvin into the room.
When Marvin enters Tulbas says slowly, "Marvin... Magnus has taken over my uncle's shop and our house, but he was kind enough to let us live. Could you please get a strecher and help me move him from here? We have no other option to save him." when he speaks he spits the words 'Magnus' and 'kind enough' like they were poison.