Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 5: Vying Factions

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 5: Vying Factions

Post by mgbevan »

"No, unfortunately we didn't think to ask how he was released from prison." Gregeddin repkies somewhat deflated to Kendra.

The bard leans in at the mention of the thieves guild, "Oohh do go on, working with them could be quite a novel and interesting experience." he says, idly massaging the spoon between his fingers as he looks on to gauge the others reactions.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"I don't know, on a scale of boring to cult worshiping an ancient deity once thought dead, a couple of thieves doesn't sound like they score quite as high as some guy with actual real healing powers. But hey, if I'm willing to help a hunter with a giant, who am I to say I won't help a few lost thieves in the sewers."
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Indeed I think it's the mystery of what is making the thieves not return that is curious." Gregeddin chips in, "But that's another day's work, Tulbas, are you sure it's ok to leave your uncle for expeditions, is he... Stable?"
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Haaque wrote:...the giant we're going to go kill today? We got some good help from the cult so it shouldn't be too much of a tall order for us....
"Oh... he is going to be tall alright" Tulbas says humorously and somewhat uncharacteristically. Obviously the improvement in his uncle condition do change his mood.

"Congratulations!" he says to Kendra, "You are lucky to have someone so dedicated to you, stand by your side at such harsh times. By the way, were you warned about the coup the cult is planning? You should watch out, it might be a slaughter."

Tulbas looks at Gregeddin, "There is some improvement in his condition..." Then his face becomes serious, "But... it seems strange he haven't gain his consciousness back yet." Everyone can see multiple transformations of Tulbas features as his mind is swarmed by thoughts. "I must talk to Mad Marvin. Maybe my uncle is under a spell influence besides the mortal wounds. In any case someone should be watching over him, and besides I thought we dedicate today to strategic planning and field exploration and only tomorrow we bring the giant down. Now please excuse me for a minute, I must check something."
Tulbas goes to the room where his uncle is resting, put away anything that might be magical and uses one of his Cantrip trying carefully and thoroughly to detect magical source or magical influence on his uncle.

====================================================
(OOC: Sorry for the huge delay in my posts... I'll try to return to the original rate.)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As the party finishes off their porridge, Tulbas clears out his uncle's room of anything that might be magical and uses a simple detection cantrip. However, the cantrip reveals no magic within the room.

=========

Gregeddin's inventory has been updated.
Tulbas uses a cantrip.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga looks up with a keen interest at Kendra's mention of the thieves' guild. "Ya met wit' th' thieves? An' yer not lookin' ta arrest them?" he asks curiously. "If'n yer really gonna go back ta them, d'ya want someone along wit' ya? I'd be much interested ta meet wit' them..."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, I went to them so that we would have some allies, but to prove that I'm not there to arrest them I have to help them with this little sewer problem," Kendra explains. "Which is where the rest of you fit in. Once the sewer is cleaned out, I have to make contact with a woman named Crystal. I suppose you can come with me when I make contact with her again once the sewers are cleaned out."

"What coup is Tulbas talking about?" Kendra asks.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

HorizonsDream wrote:"I have to make contact with a woman named Crystal. I suppose you can come with me when I make contact with her again once the sewers are cleaned out."
"Crystal? Is that a dwarf name or do humans just run out of names and name their children after whatever rock they're looking at at the time?"
HorizonsDream wrote:"What coup is Tulbas talking about?" Kendra asks.
"Oh he'd be referring to when the cult attacks the seekers and takes control of this city. I tried to talk them out of it, but Mr Priest was all like, 'why build a new town when there's one ripe for the taking here?' Anyways, I don't think they'll attack until after we're done with the giant, not unless we take too long anyways."

Getting up Haahqae makes his way towards the door.

"Anyhow, sitting and talking all day isn't going to get a giant slain, let's go off to the cult, and maybe Tulbas can stop at Mad Marvin's on the way." And a bit quieter he mutters "not sure why, all healers ever say is get bed rest, no don't poke that, and no explosions."
Veni Vidi Vici
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga turns his head in alarm at Haahqae's explanation. "Take over th' town? An' why're we helpin' such folk, then? I don' much care fer th' Seekers, but takin' them out'll jes' make things worse! An' ta let th' cult run th' town? I don' know 'xactly what they want, but I don' think they're up ta no good!" Red-faced, he shakes his head and adds, "I say we stop helpin' them right now. We done too much ta help that lot already, but no more!"
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

In reply to Darga, Gregeddin calmly adds, "I don't think this giant slaying is really helping the cult, if anything it will distract and detract from their numbers. I scarcely think we'll be organising them in to an army for our purposes, but bringing a hoarde of cultists to be slain at the giants feet could be an option if that's how morally inclined you're feeling."

Gregeddin follows after Haahqae to the door. "I'll meet you at the warehouse, just need to nip out to secure these mercs. "
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra smiles a little bit at the gully dwarf as she stands up. "Up to this point, the cult wasn't exactly organized from my understanding. With them agreeing to help with the giant that you are all so keen on fighting, you are helping them organize a little bit more because that means they have to learn what all their members can and cannot do. The more organized they are, the more dangerous they become," she points out. "Though, the Seekers should be warned. Darga, would you like to come with me?" she asks.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga nods in agreement with Kendra. "Jes' by learnin' 'em ta fight together, yer makin' 'em more dangerous. An' even if some of 'em die fightin' th' giant, ya kin bet it ain't gonna be th' smart ones like Darewind that don' make it." Turning to Kendra, he sketches the shadow of a bow. "I'd be happy ta come wit' ya, if'n ya think I kin be any help."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas hears the discussion and once it is done he adds, "I don't really care whether the Seekers rules the city or the cultists. The Seekers do not help the town folk as it is. What I'm afraid of is that the town folks will get hurt during this take over. Maybe if we will fit to high ranks in the cult we can prevent that." About the giant he say, "Dealing with the giant is much more help to the refugees out side the city walls, even if it might help the cultists."

He then say, "I don't want to leave my uncle unattended. Could you stop by at Mad Marvin and ask him if he can come to the shop? Thanks. And if I don't come to meet you in the warehouse, please come back here with the huntsman and the chief warriors you recruit to do the planning of the combat with the giant."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin waves goodbye to the others over his shoulder and makes his way towards the masked dragon, looking for the bouncers zoya and mateo.

This drizzle made him eager to get there quickly, but the clunking of the extra swords on his belt made that nigh on impossible to rush. The bard settled on pulling a little tighter closed the cloak he wore for the first time today.

Not too bad for an evenings work this cloak, despite plenty of honest blood going down for it, hope tomorrow isn't as bad... Wonder if daxia has scorched anything else lately...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

While Tulbas remains, the others step outside into the cold rain. Gregeddin heads south toward the Masked Dragon, while the rest head north as the warehouse, the Keep/Council Hall and Mad Marvin's house were all in the same direction...

Gregeddin (Masked Dragon Inn, Courtyard)
Gregeddin arrives at the courtyard of the Masked Dragon Inn, but finds it empty of any patrons. They are likely all inside, due to the weather. Zoya and Mateo, however, are both standing guard out front like before, huddled up beneath their cloaks to stay warm.

"Hail, Gregeddin," Zoya says, recognizing the young bard. "Expecting trouble?" she asks mischievously, noting the multiple blades on his belt.

Haahqae, Kendra and Darga (Market Square)
When the three arrive at the Market Square, they find it in disarray. There are no merchants hawking wares or customers perusing them. Rather, it's something of a sea of grey cloaks. Numerous cultists have congregated here, with Darewind himself leading them, giving a rousing speech. The scene looks identical to just before Kendra arrested him before, but this time his audience is much larger, and much more rapt. A couple of Holy Guard stand nearby, but do nothing but observe. There are over a hundred cultists present, so it's unlikely they could do much anyway. Both Holy Guard appear very apprehensive.

==========

(OOC: Kendra and Darga are going to 'warn the Seekers,' but I wasn't sure if they are going to speak with the Highseekers at the Council Hall or the Holy Guard at the Old Keep.)