Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 3: Mages, Mages Everywhere

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 3 - Mages, Mages Everywhere

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra continues to try to withdraw from the fight, but she manages to keep her defense up as much as possible.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas keeps hiding behind Kendra and uses another cantrip to conjure sharp stones inside the Cavalier's armor. Only now he tries to locate some of the little stones at his helmet so the helmet will press them towards his skull, while the other stones at the eyes-griller to hinder the Cavalier sight.

=========================================================================
(OOC: Initiative (1d10+1 = 5) )
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga shakes his head but follows, sticking close to Daxia. "If yer willin' ta risk yer life, then I kin too."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As soon as she is free, Daxia dashes back down the alley to the fight, Gregeddin and Darga right behind her. When she reaches the corner, she spots the cavalier at once. She pulls out a small vial of black liquid and a stone of flint. She opens the vial and lets a single drop fall on the flint, then begins to chant. "Suh kali Jalaran!" she intones. The flint suddenly transforms into a fist-sized ball of flame that hovers in her hand. "When you get to the Abyss, tell them to make room for my uncle!" With that, she hurls it at the cavalier. While in flight, the orb transforms into an arrow and flies forward. It strikes the cavalier with full force and he screams in pain. When the smoke clears, he still stands, but is clearly badly hurt.

Tulbas summons a small rock inside the cavalier's helmet, which partially blinds him for a moment. He realizes he is running out of cantrips fast, but it appears the tides are turning.

Kendra keeps trying to withdraw, but there is nobody to cover her. The cavalier and archer just follow her wherever she goes. She realizes that withdrawing just isn't possible without any help. The archer and cavalier continue to attack her, but she's able to ward off their blows.

Haahqae loads up his sling and fires, striking the archer in the shoulder. He cries out in pain, but doesn't fall. "Next time for sure!" the gnome insists, loading up another bullet.

Kynaston stands dumbfounded, gawking at Daxia. It seems she was not quite as helpless as he first believed. Realizing this is a change in fortune, he turns back to the battle. "Now's our chance! Haahqae, Tulbas, take out the guy with the axe! Kendra, finish off the cavalier! Gregeddin, back her up! Darga, protect Daxia!" He readies his axe and prepares to charge. "Keep his focus, Kendra!"

=============

Initiative
Kynaston (1d10+3): 8
Gregeddin (1d10+3): 10
Haahqae (1d10+6): 10
Kendra (1d10+3): 9
Tulbas (1d10+2): 6
Darga (1d10+3): 13
Daxia (1d10+3): 4
Archer 01 (1d10+4): 5
Cavalier (1d10+4): 13

Round 8!

Daxia moves 60 feet to the west (returns to map). She begins casting a spell at the cavalier. An arrow of flame leaps from her hands and strikes at the cavalier dealing (5d6): 15 damage.
----Cavalier rolls for half damage (1d20): 8, fail. He takes 15 damage. Cavalier is now seriously wounded.
Archer 01 swings his hand axe at Kendra in her studded leather armor (-2) (1d20-2): 2, miss.
Tulbas uses a cantrip to create a small stone in the cavalier's helmet.
----Cavalier saves vs. spell to negate (1d20): 6, fail. He suffers -1 to hit.
Kynaston goes into full defense. His AC improves by 2 points.
Kendra attempts to withdraw, but her opponents just follow her. She goes into full defense. Her AC improves by 2.
Gregeddin moves 80 feet to the west (returns to map).
Haahqae fires his sling at Archer 01 with excellent accuracy (+2) from a height advantage (+1) (1d20+3): 12, bare hit for (1d4+1): 5 damage.
Darga moves 60 feet to the west (returns to map).
Cavalier attacks Kendra with his horseman's pick with great skill (+1) with a rock in his helm (-1) against studded leather armor (-1) while she is in full defense (-2) (1d20-3): 2, miss.
Cavalier attacks Kendra with his horseman's pick with great skill (+1) with a rock in his helm (-1) against studded leather armor (-1) while she is in full defense (-2) (1d20-3): 6, miss.

(OOC: Actions and Initiative for Round 9?)
Attachments
Street 10.JPG
Street 10.JPG (162.96 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Easier said than done!" Kendra yells back to Kynstan as she moves in for the attack again.

Init Roll, Hit Rolls (10, 8, 18)
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga nods at Kynaston's suggestion and takes his place beside Daxia, walking stick held at the ready. "We won't let them take ya again, m'lady," he mutters, perhaps as much to bolster his own courage as to reassure Daxia.

(OOC: If needed, Darga's initiative is 5.)
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

As the flaming arrow stikes the cavalier Tulbas, not sure where is the source, Tulbas keeps taunting the cavalier hoping to harm his morale, "You are a disappointment. If you would have located that goblin mage when I've asked you, you wouldn't suffer so much and keep all of us in danger. Your ancestors must turn in their graves now."
Seeing the rock obscuring the Cavalier sight Tulbas maintains the cantrip and quietly says to Kendra, "Stay on his blind spot. His right eye is obscured."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Darga readies his staff to protect Daxia, who suddenly seems quite exhausted after casting that spell. "Damn," she mutters. "I wish I could do that twice in a day."

Gregeddin moves forward and begins to play an inspirational song on his zither, inspiring those around him to fight even harder.

Ignoring his injuries, Kynaston charges straight at the cavalier, his axe at the ready. He slashes downward at an angle with great force, causing the cavalier to cry out in pain.

A moment later, Haahqae nails the archer with another bullet, right in the head. The archer tumbles to the ground and lies unmoving.

Kendra fights off her opponents' swings, then moves in to attack. Although her elven sword is blocked by the cavalier's shield, she spots an opening in his defense and then strikes with her mundane blade. Finally succumbing to his injuries, the cavalier sputters then drops to his knees, before falling face first onto the cobblestone street. Then, there is only silence, save for the heavy breathing of the party members.

===========

Initiative
Kynaston (1d10+7): 14
Gregeddin (1d10+3): 8
Haahqae (1d10+6): 15
Kendra (1d10+5): 15
Darga (1d10+3): 5
Tulbas (N/A)
Daxia (N/A)
Archer 01 (1d10+4): 13
Cavalier (1d10+4): 14

Round 9!

Darga goes into full defense, protecting Daxia. His AC improves 1 point.
Gregeddin moves 30 feet northwest and begins to play an inspirational song with his zither. Gregeddin, Kendra and Tulbas all receive a +1 to hit for two rounds.
Archer 01 swings his hand axe at Kendra in her studded leather armor (-2) (1d20-2): 6, miss.
Cavalier attacks Kendra with his horseman's pick with great skill (+1) with a rock in his helm (-1) against studded leather armor (-1) while she is in full defense (-2) (1d20-3): 3, miss.
Kynaston charges (+2) 50 feet at the cavalier from behind (+2) and swings his battle axe with great skill (+1) and strength (+1) against his plate mail (-3) (1d20+3): 22, hit for (1d8+3): 6 damage.
Haahqae fires his sling at Archer 01 with excellent accuracy (+2) from a height advantage (+1) (1d20+3): 21, hit for (1d4+1): 3 damage. Archer 01 dies.
Kendra drops full defense and attacks the cavalier with her magical (+2) long sword with great skill (+1) and heroism (+3) while inspired (+1) against his plate mail (-3) (1d20+4): 9, miss. She then attacks with her mundane long sword with great skill (+1) and heroism (+3) while inspired (+1) against his plate mail (-3) (1d20+2): 19, hit for (1d8+3): 4 damage. Cavalier falls.

(OOC: End melee.)
Attachments
Street 11.JPG
Street 11.JPG (162.96 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra bends over for a moment, resting her hands on her knees as she catches her breath. "I'm pretty sure we woke the whole neighborhood."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks around pretty much astonished that everyone survived. His concerned look rests on each of the party members, espcially on Kynaston. "We should clear the place quickly. I wonder where that mage is..." Then he walks to stand near Daxia, "Hi again. Sorry for our previous encounter. Let's get to a hideout and I will explain everything." he looks at the other members, not having too much experience in battles he says, "Amm... I think we can afford a quick search over the bodies for... amm... clues that might help secure Daxia's safety." but instead of searching the bodies he waits for the others approval.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin joins the others, " how bad are your wounds?" he asks those who battered and bleeding
bleeding. He was overcome with relief that everyone made it out alive, and that this mini army had been dispatched.
He moves to the cavalier and wrestles off his horned helm. "Daxia do you know this guy?"
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga looks about nervously. "We should be gettin' outta here. Wit' a ruckus like that, people notice. We don't want ta be around when th' guardsmen or more a them cultists or worse show up. Let's get th' elf girl ta somewhere safe."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sure enough, a quick look around will reveal a number of citizens peeking through windows and partially open doorways. A number of eyes are on the party.

"You!" Daxia says, pointing at Tulbas accusingly. "You're one of those crazy cultists who kidnapped me. And you stole my spellbook." Turning to the others, she adds, "This guy can't be trusted, he's working against us."

Gregeddin removes the cavalier's helmet to reveal a young man with dark skin and short black hair. "That's one of my uncle's men," Daxia replies. "I didn't know him well."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Disregarding the onlookers, Gregeddin calmly replies to Daxia, "Tulbas there did some soul searching and decided to right his wrongs, and has learnt how the cultists are deceiving the population. He felt quite guilty about his actions but he can probably explain himself a little better."

Gregeddin rolls the heavy cavalier to free that fine cloak from his neck and transfers it to his own. He also goes through his possessions, perhaps some written orders bearing a signature or seal could be useful to the bard. If there are gauntlets on the cavalier, he also checks for any rings on fingers.
Raising the helm he adds, "this might be useful in sending a clear message of intent to those after you."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks at Daxia wide eyed, and raises his hands protectively. "I know how it looks like. When I was forced to act I didn't know all the details, otherwise I'd never cooperate in such action. The moment I've learned the truth I was looking for a way to rescue you and the others here bravely joined to help. I will explain it in length when we are at a safer place, I can also offer you a long term solution to your situation but," he looks around nervousely, "Lets just get out of here first. And I did return your Spellbook. I only loaned it, and infact that action is what saved your life." Following Gregeddin example he joins the bodies search.