Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 3: Mages, Mages Everywhere

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH. 3: Mages, Mages Everywhere

Post by JadedDM »

Kynaston frowns at the two newcomers. "Who the Abyss are you?" he asks, raising his axe to point at the elf.

"You can call me Raetmal. This is my nephew, Tulbas," he replies, gesturing to the younger man with him.

Haahqae actually recognizes Raetmal. He met him the day before yesterday. It's the man who runs the mageware shop over on Herbalist Street.

Raetmal continues. "The woman you are searching for--Daxia Cheroneau--has been kidnapped by a local cult following a false god they call the Master. They intend to turn her over to the Ergothian government for a reward. Her life is in grave danger, for the Ergothians intend to execute her."

===========

It is currently Autumn Harvest 15 at Ninth Watch (3:00 PM).
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Re: CH. 3 - Mages, Mages Everywhere

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I just arrested someone yesterday claiming that they followed the Master," Kendra says. "Why do the Ergothians plan on killing her?"
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas is anxious to take part in the conversation, but his respect to Raetmal restricted him so far. When he hears Kendra he looks at Raetmal and upon his approving nod he says, "To put it shortly, she has a claim over a heritage and her half brother wants her dead." Tulbas looks at the party, "This brother decieved eveyone by falsly claiming Daxia father is the one who is looking for her. Now as I understand, there are many assassins looking for her, so what exactly is your connection to her and what do you seek about her?" and he gives a meaningfulf look at the person having so many swords tucked to his belt. Then his look pierces Kendra, "Do you know the name of the leader of the people you arrested by any chance?" 'And what a great mayhem you have caused' he thinks to himself.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra looks down at the elf and raises an eyebrow at his piercing look. "His name is Kelryn Darewind," she said. "I was just doing my job as a seeker guard," she explains with a shrug.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Such angry eyes this Tulbas has Gregeddin thought to himself. Or maybe it's just an aversion to longswords...

"Gregeddin" he says offering a handshake to Tulbas and Raetmal. "He made quite a scene yesterday" he adds onto the end of Kendra's sentence.

Having not spoken a great deal to the woman before the group left, he was struggling to find much sympathy for her perils at this point.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas has a knowing expression on his face, "Darewind, yes... He is the leader of the cult. Preaches and performs miracles supposedly healing himself, but some things doesn't fit. I suspect he is a froud." When Gregeddin says his name and offers his hand, Tulbas expression softens but instead of shaking his hand he says "Forgive me, but let's make sure we are on the same side first. We still haven't heard what is your connection with Daxia."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Same side? What side?" Gregeddin asks in a ridiculing and confused tone, "Forgive ME but can someone explain why exactly is this woman and her problem suddenly so bloody important to everyone in the first place?" Gregeddin directs this more openly to the group.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"He wants to make sure we are not members of the cult. For all he knows, we could have kidnapped her and left her here for the other members of the cult to easily find her," Kendra explains to Gregeddin. "And as for why she is important, I have yet to really figure that out myself," Kendra admits with a small shrug. "I figured one of you guys were playing hero when it came to her." With all of that said, she turns her attention to the two elves. "I'm Kendra, by the way."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Oh, right. Maybe all the swords isn't a good look" Gregeddin replies to Kendra understanding a little more now. "But how do we know that these two aren't brother and uncle or some assassins given that they know so much about this woman. What is she to you?" he directs the last question at the elves.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Unsure as to who these newcomers are, Darga remains silent for the time being. They seem to know of the missing woman's whereabouts, though, and that's enough to capture his attention. After all, she had been their responsibility, and still is, he supposes. Leaning on his walking stick, he watches the strangers carefully and listens, hoping to determine their intentions.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Oooh, a local cult. Yes. That fits perfectly. That explains the shoddy workmanship, the overturned furniture and the complete lack of valuables stolen as a side thought. I was beginning to worry about this town's thieves. But no, something's not right, there are no demon summoning circles. Are you sure it was a cult that did this?" Haahqae chimes in, volunteering information as is his custom.

"Oh no, these aren't assassins, that one there is a shop keeper in an alchemy shop. The other one is his brother? Hmm... I'm not sure if I know him. Maybe he's an assassin. Are you an assassin?" Haahqae pauses, recalling what the old hobgoblin had said "Oh right, got to wait six days for my questions to be answered, damn. Tell me good sir, do you like to wear long black capes? Carry around plenty of concealed daggers and know a little too much about what different poisons do?"
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas is a little bit irritated with the Gnome mumbles, he looks at Gregeddin and then at Kendra as she strikes him as the smartest in the group so far. "Well... Obviously we are going to have a trust issue. You might think we are the assassins and we would think the same of you. But I didn't think for a moment you are from the cult." 'Even though being a Seeker as you admited is as good as being in the cult.' He thinks to himself.
Tulbas breathes heavily and continues, "Well, let me do the first step in clearing the air.
I'll tell you why I think the girl needs rescue. First, murdering her is unjust. Helping her would make us close to her and eventually if she is recognized as the nobleman heir there would be a great reward I assume. Second, if we don't help her, the cult will get a reward which will strengthen them significantly. They would bribe someone to get Darewind out, recruit much more people and the riots might evolve to civil war. In the meanwhile the local citizens will suffer much more than they already do under the current rule."
And he eyes Kendra again.
"Now if we were the assassins we would just be on our way since if we do nothing to stop it, the girl is already as good as dead." He says to the Gnome.
Looking at Kendra again he says, "You being a Seeker wouldn't help much the trust issue, but as I understand some of your friends do care about the girl, so we might co-operate after all. Besides you arrested Darewind so you might have access to him. I would like to speak with him if that's possible.
And now, for the third time, please explain your business with Daxia, or at least let us seek here some clues regarding her pursuers or her escape plan so we can help her without you."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Well I can tell you strait that we aren't assassins. I'm a juggler." Haahqae pulls out his torches and tosses them in a circle as he continues talking. "And likewise the rest of us are in very non-assasin jobs too. Like this one's a Seeker, that one's a hero, that one's here for food, drink and to get out of the rain." He says, motioning towards Kendra, Trench and Darga carefully as he juggles. "And if we were assassins, you'd be dead already because there's more of us and we're better armed."

"Now we've just got back from clearing demons out of the local mine, and we're back to do more hero stuff in the order of protecting the damsel that the goblin found. Only she's not here. Nor is the goblin, I'm still not sure where he went."
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Well, we need to proceed. I'd like to know what were Daxia plans of escape and try to help her realize them. You either don't know or wouldn't tell me her plans, but the question is are you willing to act in order to save her? If you are, then I think I can sneak you into the cults rows. But not you Kendra, I'm sure they will recognize you as the one arrested their highest priest. Now we could try to convince the current leader that they were deceived and that Daxia is at risk to her life and with Kendra's help we might propose saving Darewind. This could be a possible exchange in their eyes. Then we should figure out how to prove or disprove Darewind's miracles."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"In my experience, cult leaders aren't always entirely rational, but I'm all for making Darewind proving his miracles."
Veni Vidi Vici