Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

LSO OOC Thread II

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: LSO OOC Thread II

Post by Breila »

I'm not quite certain about the spells Ouragana has. The spells she had memorised before her curse are still listed in italics, as if their place was still taken.
I have thus filled the four blank slots she has thanks to the ring Val gave her and used them.
Could she learn spells to fill all the regular spots for the day? or are there spells she needs to cast before filling the spots the next day?
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

When Ouragana was cursed, all of her spells were wiped from her mind (hence the italics). When the curse was removed, she never bothered to re-memorize any of them until this morning, and you asked only for four castings of Mending and nothing else. The other spell slots are still open and awaiting to be filled with new spells.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Jaded: Just wanted to check that all 6 of the patrol were actually immobilized (as hold person & hold monster can only hold max 4 creatures.) If two of the patrol are still mobile (even if out of Naras's line of sight so far), she might hear them and that could make a significant difference to combat/tactics. Conversely, if its a spell that's not in the PHB, then that's useful to know what sources of spells are allowed insofar as it potentially makes a wider selection of (clerical) spells available to Naras.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

I wasn't sure what the Italics meant, I would have expected blank spaces for the wiped spells. So I asked.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Chris, you're right, Hold Person only affects 4 people, so 2 of the patrol are still free.

Breila, I've always placed a spell in italics once it is cast or wiped from memory, since day one back in Unlikely Heroes. This is because often a player will ask 'for the same spell as last time' when they pick new ones, so it's easier for me to remember what those spells were than if I were to replace them with blank spaces.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

OOps name-bleedover again. Sorry.
I've always been poor with names.
But, on thinking about it a little more, it's partially because I think 1st person, "I", for these characters.

Haven't quite got there yet with the 5th Ed nor Pathfinder games though, and that's probably some mix of less familiarity with those systems and number of turns posted.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Yeah, I guess I just got confused. It has been a very busy time here, hard to keep on top of things.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Does a spear do double damage if the wielder charges his foe (and hits)?
If a creature with multiple attacks (e.g. claw/claw/bite) charges a character, does the creature get a complete attack routine at the end of the charge?
How about a fighter with 2 attacks per round - if he charges a foe, would he get two attacks at the end of the charge?
What is the (horizontal) distance from Naras to the Slaad?
And is the Slaad elevated? i.e. If Naras charges it, should she hit it (or is it currently out of reach)?
Are the final two member of the patrol still mobile? do they have missile weapons? Or..?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Chris1234 wrote:Does a spear do double damage if the wielder charges his foe (and hits)?
No, only lances, as stated in the PHB.
Chris1234 wrote:If a creature with multiple attacks (e.g. claw/claw/bite) charges a character, does the creature get a complete attack routine at the end of the charge?
Yes, but the bonuses for charging only apply to the first attack.
Chris1234 wrote:How about a fighter with 2 attacks per round - if he charges a foe, would he get two attacks at the end of the charge?
No, the second attack would come at the end of the round, like always.
Chris1234 wrote:What is the (horizontal) distance from Naras to the Slaad?
It's 60 feet. Well, and minus however closer Naras got to it (you mentioned she walked closer to it).
Chris1234 wrote:And is the Slaad elevated? i.e. If Naras charges it, should she hit it (or is it currently out of reach)?
The Son of Crizza is elevated. I never said the slaad was, no. It's on the ground.
Chris1234 wrote:Are the final two member of the patrol still mobile? do they have missile weapons? Or..?
Yes. And as I mentioned when they were first introduced, they are all armed with cutlasses, daggers and light crossbows.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Thanks Jaded.
Naras would have only moved far enough forward to be able to intercept a Slaad attack on the leading patrol member. e.g. if Leading patrol member to Slaad distance is 60', then Naras would have moved to 58' from the Slaad and slightly yo the left of the patrol member.

Yes, you're right, I remember about the weapons now, thank you. (No idea why I couldn't recall that before. Too much alcohol maybe. Apols to any tea-totals out there. Other drinks are available.) :)

Roughly how many rounds is it since the Hold Person was cast? Broadly 1 round (1 minute?) = 1 Post?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

It's been around 1-2 rounds, yes.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Ok, thansk, and Dex reaction affects Surprise not Initiative?
And spell casting time is analogous to weapon speed factor, both being added to a 1d10 roll?
Is there an impact of spell components on casting time or initiative?
Does the effect of a spell go off immediately it has been cast (if casting time is less than a round)?
e.g. Haste, Init 1d10:1 add casting time 3, goes off on Init 4, so would the party get the x2 movement etc on the same round?
e.g. Dispel Magic on a Held party - would the party get to act on the same round? Would it be a complete set of actions? e.g. move and full attack routine?

Also, in passing, I think Naras's AC might have increased slightly now that the small shield has been Identified as +1. And she isn't encumbered any more, so Movement should be back to 6".
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Chris1234 wrote:Ok, thansk, and Dex reaction affects Surprise not Initiative?
DEX has no effect on initiative, no.
Chris1234 wrote:And spell casting time is analogous to weapon speed factor, both being added to a 1d10 roll?
Yes.
Chris1234 wrote:Is there an impact of spell components on casting time or initiative?
No.
Chris1234 wrote:Does the effect of a spell go off immediately it has been cast (if casting time is less than a round)?
e.g. Haste, Init 1d10:1 add casting time 3, goes off on Init 4, so would the party get the x2 movement etc on the same round?
e.g. Dispel Magic on a Held party - would the party get to act on the same round? Would it be a complete set of actions? e.g. move and full attack routine?
The spell's effect goes into effect when its your turn. If you are hit and take damage before that point, you lose the spell. The recipients of the spell are only affected if they haven't had their turn yet. Using your Haste example, it would affect the party at Initiative segment 4, and the party would get x2 movement on the same round. But if they had already had their turn, they wouldn't be able to go again. They'd have to wait for the next round.

In the Dispel Magic example, the party would get to act on the same round, but only if their turn hasn't come yet when it is cast.
Chris1234 wrote:Also, in passing, I think Naras's AC might have increased slightly now that the small shield has been Identified as +1. And she isn't encumbered any more, so Movement should be back to 6".
I've fixed it.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

I just spotted that Otays's list of people behind on tithes was 700 strong.. I thought only 500 or so lived in Narin. Seems I was wrong again. :)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Chris1234 wrote:I just spotted that Otays's list of people behind on tithes was 700 strong.. I thought only 500 or so lived in Narin. Seems I was wrong again. :)
Narin has a population of 1,000. If you thought Narin only had 500 people (which makes it a village, at best), then all of Naras' comments about how 'urban' Narin is make even less sense. :lol:
BishGada wrote:1. if I get it right and the canon increases the power of spells, it means one need to cast fireball in order for the canon to fire (super) ball?
2. If the runes on the canon are similar to fireball does it mean it will enhance only fireball in the current state?
3. Is it possible to repair house with several Mending spells? totaling in the volume of the materials for the house? Will that be faster than actually rebuilding the house?)
1. Not exactly. It just means it empowers the fireball spell. Or something very similar to it.
2. It would seem so.
3. Nope. The damage to the buildings is too expensive for that spell. And besides, you can only mend up to 1 cubic foot of material per level (which would be 5 cubic feet for Ouragana), so that wouldn't come close to fixing even a very small building.