Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

LSO OOC Thread II

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

LSO OOC Thread II

Post by JadedDM »

Here is a new thread for all OOC chatter.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Re: LSO OOC Thread II

Post by Jenara »

Old one getting a little long?
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, I like to cap IC threads at around 30 pages, and OOC ones at 50 pages. Makes it easier to search for things later on.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Well, that was something. It appears that this party is still severely lacking in teamwork and coordination. :lol:

Luckily, this was an easy one. Had you faced a tougher or more numerous foe...I'd hate to think how things might have turned out.

So, let me give you guys some tips for future battles.

Changing Actions
As long as I have not yet resolved the round, it's possible to change your actions. (You will need to roll initiative again for the second action, however.)

For instance, let's say Arkos the Fighter, Daos the Mage and Marik the Thief are wandering through the wilderness when they run afoul of a dozen angry orcs.

Arkos' player posts first:
Arkos wrote:Drawing his sword, he holds it aloft. "We are already dead," he announces to his companions. "We go into battle to reclaim our lives! Chaaaarge!" He then runs toward the orcs, attacking the first one he reaches.
Daos' player posts second.
Daos wrote:"No, wait! They are all clustered together. I can take them all out with one fireball!"
As the DM has yet to resolve the round (he's waiting on Marik's player still), if Arkos logs back on and sees the new post, he can then post a second time.
Arkos wrote:Hearing Daos' warning, Arkos skids to a halt. "Very well, cast your spell. I'll defend you." Arkos will remain where he is, attacking any orcs that get too close.
This is all perfectly acceptable, so long as the round hasn't been resolved yet. If I resolve the round, then it's too late to change anything, obviously.

Holding Initiative
Sometimes it can be difficult to coordinate actions, due to initiative. What if instead, Arkos decides he'll charge the surviving orcs, but only after the fireball is cast? But if Arkos beats Daos in initiative, he'll run into the fireball's range anyway. To avoid this, Arkos can specify he is holding his initiative until AFTER Daos casts the fireball spell.

If this is specified, should Arkos beat Daos in initiative, he will wait and won't move or act until immediately after Daos' turn is over.

If/Then Actions
It's possible to list a few options, depending on what your teammates do, to help avoid slow down in posting. For instance, suppose it's fairly standard procedure for Daos to toss a fireball when the enemy is all clustered together, and Arkos knows this. Arkos may have specified, then, in his first post that he would stay where he was and defend Daos if Daos casts fireball. If Daos does not cast fireball, Arkos will charge the nearest orc. If Daos casts fireball, and no orcs reach Arkos before, then Arkos can specify he'll charge any survivors after the fireball (holding his initiative until after the fireball).

Utilizing these three techniques can help a lot in coordination and teamwork during combat. Of course, none of them will solve the problem of the PCs all shouting orders to each other, and ignoring them. That's something they'll have to work out themselves. :D
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Thanks for the roleplaying advice.
I agree that this battle was a good example of how it goes when a group of chaotic characters have to find ways to cooperate... I will address that in character.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I don't understand what Areilon intends to do. She's going to 'borrow' water? From where? Is she just going to pour her waterskin over herself or something?
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Ok I've been working crazy hours and I'm pretty stoned on cold meds.. well I was.. hence the posts.

I want to change a few things. If that's ok.

When Arei winked at Andar she meant "I'll be back in a bit" I forgot to add she was going to ask Val to help her, the statement wasn't directed at Andar.

As for cleaning she was asking Oura if she could do what Jerrard has done om occasion and cleaned clothes. But Joyceln is right of course, why change when she'll just get wet again.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The changes are fine. And yeah, I thought Areilon was asking Andar to help her bathe, too. Wasn't sure how to have him react to that. :lol:
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Exactly, she wants him to trust her, flirting isn't going to get that reaction.
And you know, I hate bugs!

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Me too. I'm allergic to mosquito bites.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

I'm glad Arei's plan was a good one with the web

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

While we're waiting for Baeros' action, I wanted to point out that all for those of you who said "I'll do X if Baeros moves away" you might want to add a contingency in case he doesn't move, otherwise you'll lose your turn.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

If Bearos doesn't move away, Ouragana will stay where she is. If the ettercap comes after her, she will cast web on him/it.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Just sayin' we should prolly make the antidote....and then wait until we see who fails the save....if it comes down to it, the dog dies...sorry.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

They can't reach the dog anyway, unless Ouragana dispels the webbing.