Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Tulbas' Vignette

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Tulbas' Vignette

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas sat in his room. It wasn't really a room, exactly. More of a converted attic space, above the mageware shop where his uncle worked and lived. But it was dry and warm, which made it better than what many people in the city had.

But now it was something of a prison. Tulbas wasn't sure exactly what was happening. Shortly after breakfast, his uncle and he had heard yelling and screaming outside. His uncle stepped out, and quickly returned, locking the front door. "Upstairs, now," he had demanded. After ushering the young elf to his room, he gave Tulbas implicit instructions to remain there 'until it was safe.'

From the small window in his room, he couldn't see much. But he heard shouting and things breaking from a distance. It sounded like it was coming from the marketplace.

It was finally afternoon, around eighth watch, when the noises quieted down. "Nephew!" his uncle called from downstairs. "You may descend now."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Tulbas' Vignette

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas felt confused... "What is all that noise and why uncle Raetmal is acting that way?" Tulbas thought to himself as old trauma memories from the rescue attempt gone terribly wrong for his family, while he was captive, started to crawl on him back from his subconscious and paralyze him with fear. "I've never seen him so concerned before..."

"What is going on?" Tulbas thought to himself again and again, "And why does it take so long??". "I wonder if uncle Raetmal knows... He did after all locked the store pretty quickly, without investigating too much... but then why wouldn't he inform me?? I hope he is not in some kind of a trouble...". Haunted by terrible scenarios all the creation of his own imagination Tulbas tried to calm down. "But then again, wouldn't it will be just the logical thing to do, lock up and wait for the troubles to fade away, even if it has nothing to do with him?".

After an hour, when Tulbas could collect himself a little bit, he tried to listen carefully both to what is going on inside the house, and outside. Getting assured that the riots or whatever mishaps doesn't reaching his uncle shop, Tulbas tried to open the window and get a better look at what was going in the streets.

Seeing crowd both running to and from the marketplace's direction, but all disappearing behind the street corner, Tulbas thought to himself "Maybe if I could walk on the rooftops to get a better view and then report Raetmal... But he would probably be mad at me for disobeying his word..."

Tulbas paced the attic back a forth. The small cozy, familiar place, Tulbas became to call home, suddenly felt like closing on him. With all the commotion out and with his memories of the tragic night his family and the other captives tried to escape the cages, Tulbas felt trapped.

As hours passed by, or at least it felt like hours, the curiosity of Tulbas, and the need to escape the room, got the better of him. "Maybe I'll just get a little bit closer to watch... Maybe I'll see something helpful or even be able to do something useful. Staying here doesn't do no one any good, and I don't see any danger if I keep the distance...".

Tulbas assessed the possibility to walk over the roof tops to get a better view and understand what is going on, while keeping himself safe. (Dex. check http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4310582/ 1d20 = 15 success (barely))

(OOC: if walking the rooftop is a dangerous task Tulbas wouldn't risk it, he is intelligent enough for that, and probably keep pondering about the situation until things will cool off. But if the rooftops are accessible and safe enough, and after all it was pretty common to walk it, Tulbas would try to sneak out and find a better view to get whats going on, with intention to come back after a short while if he would find nothing else he could do.)

(OOC: Assuming Tulbas was back at (or never got out of) the attic when uncle Raetmal called him)

Tulbas rush down the stairs and asks his uncle anxiously "Uncle! What happened?? Do you know what was it all about?".
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Up on the rooftops, Tulbas could clearly see smoke rising from the marketplace. Actually, there were several small plumes, suggesting numerous fires had been set.

His keen elven ears heard his uncle calling for him. Quickly returning to his window and crawling back inside, he hurried downstairs.
Tulbas wrote:"Uncle! What happened?? Do you know what was it all about?"
"A riot," his uncle responded. "The refugees, I believe, began to riot and the Holy Guard arrived to start cutting them down. It got pretty nasty out there." He shakes his head. "Fortunately, they stayed away from here--no doubt afraid they would be blasted into oblivion by magical traps if they even tried to loot the place. We were lucky this time."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"The refugees are gathering courage if they start riots openly... It is also seems they are pretty strong if it took all day to calm down..." Tulbas said thoughtfully to his uncle.

"I wonder how did such a big group, able to stand up for a whole day and burn several stores, managed to enter the city and start the commotion. Maybe the locals had joined them. After all these people are very miserable and not by their own fault."

Thousands threads of thought started to pop up in Tulbas mind, some of them contradict as Tulbas thought that both the refugees and the shop owners are suffering the consequences, but the most prominent among them were: Maybe there are elves in need out there at the refugees camp, maybe even people I know from our past or even... But no, I'm sure if someone we knew were in the camp, a word would arrive uncle...
Tulbas lost his spirit as the memory of his sister Maelana became so vivid in his mind.

After a short while Tulbas asks his uncle "Do you think the riots today are a change of the wind? That the refugees will start to gather strength and become an opposing force to Haven?"
Suddenly determined Tulbas quickly says, "If so, this situation might be on a very slippery road, and might get pretty ugly soon enough! Don't you think so? Shouldn't we do something about it?".
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas wrote:"I wonder how did such a big group, able to stand up for a whole day and burn several stores, managed to enter the city and start the commotion. Maybe the locals had joined them. After all these people are very miserable and not by their own fault."
His uncle shakes his head. "There are nearly 10,000 refugees in this city; they outnumber the locals two to one. And there are hundreds more trying to get in. Closing the gates was probably the most sensible thing the Seekers have done recently."
Tulbas wrote:"Do you think the riots today are a change of the wind? That the refugees will start to gather strength and become an opposing force to Haven? If so, this situation might be on a very slippery road, and might get pretty ugly soon enough! Don't you think so? Shouldn't we do something about it?"
"You may well be right there," he agrees. "But we are but two. Not only that, but we are also foreigners, elves and magic-users--not a popular combination in these parts. Even if we had the power or influence to do anything, I would be at a lost at what we could do. Still...Haven may no longer be safe. But where else is there to go? Even if the Qualinesti accepted us, they have also closed their borders."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Uncle... Are you suggesting we should move away?" Tulbas asks with more than a little concern. "I came to like this place, we have here some friends..."

"So what do you suggest? Are you sure we have nothing to do? Maybe if we can find if some specific event lead to the riots, by investigating the area of the riots or finding the refugees leadership, maybe we can sense with them, affect their decisions and maybe find a way to stop the situation deterioration?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Raetmal smirks. "Ah, the optimism of youth," he remarks. He shakes his head. "Still, perhaps you are right. It has always been the Silvanesti way to hide away from the world. It has not served us very well, especially in recent years. Very well. If you believe there is something that can be done, by all means, investigate. But stay out of trouble. Remember, despite its name, this city is dangerous. Aside from refugee riots, there is much prejudice against elves. And now that the Seekers are hiring goblins..." A look of disgust crosses his face at simply speaking of such foul creatures.

"In any case, whatever you decide to do, stay safe."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Goblins?!? How low can you get... Thinks Tulbas to himself.

"Sure uncle." Tulbas says with a little bit forced enthusiasm, "I'll start to investigate at the location of the last riots. Do you have any suggestions how to begin with it?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I'm not certain," his uncle admits. "Although I hear taverns are usually considered a prime source of information."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Thank you uncle for your advice, I think I'll go to the Steel Tankard, probably will be the best place to catch some rumors, and in the way I can walk through the market, check if I can gather some information. Maybe later I can even try and catch a word with Orin Woodwind if he won't be too busy."
Tulbas goes upstairs to wear his journey robes and belt, and get some coins which might be helpful with making the bartender tell what happened in the market. After several minutes Tulbas leave the magic store and heads toward the market.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas manages to gather together fifteen steel pieces to help him on his way before heading out toward the marketplace.

The streets are eerily quiet, despite it being mid-afternoon. Tulbas can detect the distinct odors of smoke and blood in the air.

When he arrives, he finds the marketplace itself has been cordoned off with a small, impromptu fence that has been set up. The perimeter is guarded by a number of Seeker guards, but mostly goblin and hobgoblin mercenaries. A number of people have gathered around the perimeter, curious to see, but none are being permitted to enter.

Looking over the fence, which is only about waist high, Tulbas can see a couple of shops that have been burned down (although have since been put out), several overturned carts, and a handful of bodies--including children and elderly--that have been covered with sheets.

===========

Tulbas acquires 15 steel pieces.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

On his way to the market Tulbas thinks to himself, I'd better try to find out what had started the riots, who started it, and whose stores were damage. With this short list, Tulbas feels he is on the right track.

As Tulbas arrives the market and sees the covered bodies he is somewhat shaken. I didn't imagine it would come to that... poor fellows... and the children!

Tulbas looks at the crowd and the guards for few minutes, trying to see if someone is telling or willing to tell others what happened.
Tulbas also looks at the damaged shops, tries to see, as much as possible from distance, if there is something suspicious about or around them and also if maybe they had something in common.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas scans the crowd, the guards and the shops. Nobody appears to be offering any explanations. The burned out shops, as far as the young elf can tell, have nothing in common or follow any pattern. It's just random destruction.

He does spot a young woman, wearing a heavy cloak but with a flash of red hair hanging out of the hood, moving among the crowd. She appears to be cutting the purses of the onlookers, draining them of coin, then slipping on to the next person. Nobody else appears to have noticed her.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas thinks to himself, I could warn the guards about this lady, and then in return they might give me some information about the events.

With that thought, Tulbas moves quickly towards the closest Seeker guard and says quietly while pointing as secretly as possible at the woman "Guard, there is a pickpocket here. Be careful not to alarm her with sudden movement, so she won't get away."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The nearest Holy Guard is a young man. "What?" he asks, more in disbelief than in lack of understanding. He looks to the woman that Tulbas identifies and his eyes narrow. "Her again...I've seen her before, but I've never been able to catch her in the act...until now. Wait here, citizen," he says, going after her.

He tails her a bit, getting close without being noticed, and spots her picking another pocket. He moves in quickly, grabbing her by the wrist and harshly yanking her away from the crowd.

"Ow!" she calls out. "Stop it! Leave me alone!" she demands.

"Not this time, red," the guard replies. "Caught you red-handed. And now you'll have those red hands cut off, bitch." The woman struggles, but is unable to escape his grip. Several of the onlookers have turned their attention away from the marketplace to this new little scene.