Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 8: Reunion

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH. 8: Reunion

Post by JadedDM »

It is Ruebon 02, 313, at 9:00 AM. It's a clear, lovely summer day on the island of Hashadeth, in the simple and unassuming fishing village of Condletun. It's 80 degrees and there's barely a cloud in the sky.
Hashadeth.jpg
Hashadeth.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 12727 times
(Jocelyn Blaine, Temple of Octhanus)
It was another typical morning for Jocelyn. It's strange to think that she had spent nearly a year running this temple. She had done what she could to help improve the place and bring in more money and worshipers. But was it enough, she wondered? Most of the villagers had come to accept her now, although there were a few holdouts who wanted nothing to do with her.

Still, despite the stress, it had been a quiet year. Not at all like the few weeks she had spent sailing the high seas, fighting off evil tribals, hunting down a maniacal murderer, making contact with a new race, or shooting down black dragons.

Having just finished breakfast, and listened to Linwood drone on about finances and expenses, she was now free to begin her day.

(Ouragana Stormbride, Pineapple Field)
After months of teaching navigation to new students, Ouragana had been selected for a different task.

The mayor of some backward village called Condletun was a mage, and a former student. The headmaster needed someone to deliver an important letter to him, and somehow, Ouragana had drawn the proverbial short straw.

The letter needed to arrive sooner than later, so the headmaster decided to teleport Ouragana directly to the village. However, there was no way to retrieve her, so she'd have to find a way back on her own.

The whole thing almost seemed like an elaborate ruse to get rid of her, although she couldn't fathom why that would be the case. Perhaps it was just bad luck. In any case, she finds herself materializing in a the middle of a pineapple farm in the northwest part of the village. Nobody is around, which is good. Explaining herself would have been difficult, and you never know how peasants will react to such magic.
Pineapple Farm.jpg
Pineapple Farm.jpg (149.25 KiB) Viewed 12727 times
(Areilon Landon, Harbor)
After a largely uneventful year of working the Bullring on routine merchant routes, the Bullring arrived at Condletun to drop off Areilon. The harbor, obviously designed more for fishing boats than galleons, was too small for the ship. So Areilon had to be transported via rowboat. After saying her good-byes to the officers and crew, she boarded the rowboat was and rowed to the harbor.

"Good luck," Javos says, one of the sailors who rowed her to shore. "We'll be heading down to Immerfort now. Perhaps we'll meet again someday."

And shortly after that, the massive ship took off to the south, leaving Areilon on her own again, a number of fishermen staring at the well-dressed elf, who stuck out like a sore thumb in such a rustic hamlet.

(Val Urgun, southern shore near the boatwright)
After nearly a year of riding around on Mist, randomly stopping at different places, Val found herself coming ashore in the village of Condletun, a place she had never been before. There was a very small island just south of the village, with a bridge leading to the mainland, and that is where Mist dropped her off. There was a building nearby, over the river itself, where someone worked on fishing boats. A couple of the hired hands stopped and stared at her, as a half-orc being dropped off by an orca was no doubt an unusual sight.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Re: CH. 8: Reunion

Post by Breila »

After gathering her wits, Ouragana hurries to the cover of the copse of trees. With her light grey clothing, she still stands out between the dark trees, but a little less so than in the open field between the pineapples. There she tries to get her bearings. What were the indications given to her as to where she would find the mage again, and what was his name in case she needs to ask for him? Can she see which direction the village is? Or at least, which way is the sea?
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Adjusting her hat Arei shoots the fishermen a warm smile of greeting, a year, she'd promised to wait a year..

"Well met good sirs." she bows, "Is there a lodging house in the village? And would you be so kind as to direct me?" Making sure her blade is safely out of the way she approaches them slowly.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn walks into the main room of the temple, looks around at all of the empty seats, and sighs slightly. "Another wonderful day," she says softly to herself as she grabs a nearby broom to start cleaning up.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Before Jocelyn can even get started, a young woman steps inside the temple. "Excuse me, pastor?" she asks. "I was wondering if I could ask your advice on something."

(Ouragana Stormbride, Pineapple Field)
Ouragana tried to get her bearings. Teleporation disorientation was something she had read about, but experiencing it first hand was another thing altogether.

She remembered now that the mayor's name was Tantagel. The village wasn't too big, so surely finding him shouldn't be too difficult. She can easily see the village to the southeast, only a few hundred feet away. The sea itself is to the south.

(Areilon Landon, Harbor)
One of the local fishermen answers her. "Yeah, just follow the road north to the Red Sirine. There's lodging there, sure enough. Can't miss it, it's the biggest building in the village."
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Val walks through the surf up to the beach, dripping saltwater, glancing at the observers casually. She heads toward the bridge, intending to explore the village. She approaches with care, walking with gear stowed, eyes scanning the locals.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana walks along the edge of the copse, looking for a road or at least a path into the village. Better to be met by strangers there than right in the middle of someone's property...

If she gets into the village without enbountering anyone, she will greet the first person she meets and ask: "Excuse me, Sir/Madam, could you point me the way to Mayor Tantagel's office?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

~Ugh, more advice. Please don't be about love because I'm just about as lost as you on that one,~ Jocelyn thinks to herself as she faces the young woman. "What can I help you with?" she asks with a light smile, even though it is a little forced.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Thank you." with another graceful bow the elf walks casually to the North, whistling an old sea tune (poorly) using the sun as a guide.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"It's my neighbor," the woman explains. "They were over for dinner a week ago, and during that time, she had a bit too much to drink and insulted my husband, my home and my intelligence. The next day she apologized, but...well, I know Octhanus preaches we should forgive others, but I just...can't. I don't feel her apology was sincere, and I think she still thinks those negative things about me and my own. I don't know what to do," she admits.

(Ouragana Stormbride, Western section of the village)
Ouragana makes it to the village and speaks to a local. "The mayor? Yes, just follow this road east. His house is right across from the inn, can't be missed."

(Areilon Landon, Harbor)
Areilon follows the road north, passing by what appears to be some kind of shop in the process. She spots the inn further up north.

Val crosses the bridge without incident. More than a few locals give her strange looks, but otherwise keep their distance from her.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, when she say those things, other than having a bit too much to drink, was she angry or upset?" Jocelyn asks. "And why don't you think the apology was sincere?"
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Val continues up the road, keeping to herself, looking for the inn.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana thanks her informant and follows the road as indicated. She easily finds the house. If the door is closed, she will knock. If there is an office that is open, she will simply enter.

"Good morning" she says, "I bring a letter for Mayor Tantagel, to be delivered personally."

(OOC: What is the headmaster's name? So I can better tell Tantagel whom the letter comes from.)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Heading to the inn she opens the door wide and removes her hat with a flourish, "Well met." Shooting a warm smile at whoever is behind the bar. "A glass of wine if I may, and a room.."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"She was mostly just kind of...snooty," the woman explains. "Like she was better than us. And that's why I don't believe the apology. Being drunk makes you honest, so she really meant all of those things. I think she's just trying to save face now. I want to...I don't know, make her look bad, give her her comeuppance."

(Ouragana Stormbride, Western section of the village)
Knocking on the door, a servant opens it. The servant, a middle aged female halfling, nods and lets Ouragana in. "This way, please," she says.

The servant leads Ouragana through the house, upstairs and into the library where the mayor is sitting at a desk, reading.

Mayor Tantagel is a middle-aged human with short blond hair, tanned skin and brown eyes. He looks up at her when she enters the room. The servant announces her as having a letter for him and he nods, standing up. "You must bear the letter from Headmaster Ozpin then," he says. "Welcome, and thank you for bringing it."

(Areilon Landon, Red Sirine Inn)
Standing behind the bar is an old half-elven woman with grey hair and a bent back. She seems spry enough, though, bringing Areilon her wine without any trouble. "Half a silver for the wine, and six silver for the room," she says simply.

Val follows the road north, and then spots a couple of large buildings further north. One of them bears a sign that she can't read, but it does have a picture of a bed on it, suggesting it is probably an inn.