Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Jocelyn's Vignette

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Jocelyn's Vignette

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, I'm hoping you three know my answer. I'll take it," Jocelyn says.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sardonx 17, 312 (2:00 PM)
It had been over a month since Jocelyn had accepted to take over the small parish in the village of Condeltun on the island of Hashadeth. During that time, she had spent training in Sanctuary under Bishop Landra--her new boss within the church hierarchy.

Thus did Jocelyn learn some new skills and abilities, as well as new spells. She was then shipped off to the village and shown her new temple. Well, really it was property of the church. Jocelyn was just its caretaker.

"Here it is," Landra states as they approach the building, shortly after having arrived on the island. The temple was small--much smaller than even the smallest ones in Serenity City. But then again, the village was small, too. Only about 500 people. In fact, small as the temple was, it was still one of the largest buildings in the village!

It was built of simple wood with a thatch roof. There is a fence around it, with entrances on the north and south side, but no templars stood guard anywhere Jocelyn could see. There were a pair of statues flanking the inside of the fence's southern entrance, shaped like dolphins. But they were old and starting to crumble in some spots.

The pair circled around the building, Landra pointing out the local graveyard and the well. Landra explained there were three wells in the village, and this one belonged to the church itself. This way not only was the temple responsible for its own water, but it had its own source of water for blessing into holy water, as well.

"The former priest died a couple of years back," Landra explains. "Nasty pirate attack. The Blue Lightning arrived and saved the place, but not before the priest died trying to protect some children. The locals consider him to be quite a hero. Unfortunately, the place has been unmanned since then, so it's fallen into a bit of disrepair."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"You guys don't make these tests easy," Jocelyn says as she soaks in the information and looks over the temple she'll be running. "I mean, I just have my work cut out for me."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Landra shrugs. "I'm sure you'll do fine. Have a little faith. Now, let's go inside."

The two step inside into the main worship area. There's an altar way at the end and numerous wooden pews, some quite dusty. Jocelyn notes a spiderweb in one of the corners.

There's also a young woman inside with a broom, wearing the same powder blue vestments that Jocelyn herself wore not long ago. She's barely more than a child, probably the mid-teens, with long red hair. She is trying to sweep up the place, but it doesn't seem to be doing much more than kicking up dust clouds.

"Ah, this is Ursula Redmoon," Landra says. Hearing the voice, Ursula turns toward them and, upon recognizing the bishop, suddenly goes stiff. "She's a native and just became an acolyte recently, so we decided she'd be useful in helping you get to know the villagers. Ursula, meet the new pastor, Jocelyn Blaine."

Ursula looks Jocelyn up and down. "Wow, you're a lot younger than I thought you'd be," she admits. "You look almost my age."
Attachments
Ursula Redmoon.jpg
Ursula Redmoon.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I'm twenty," Jocelyn says as she holds out her hand to the young woman. "So I guess that means that I'm going to be your mentor?" she asks.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"That's right," Landra says. "There should be enough money in the budget to cover yourself and Ursula here, and maybe one more minor employee. This temple doesn't bring in much money anymore, as I'm sure you can imagine, but hopefully you can change that. Well, then, I suppose that's everything. I should get going, my boat is leaving soon. Any more questions before I leave?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"No, I think I got it," Jocelyn says. Though, she does look a little nervous at this point. She was going to be left on her own at this point, and she had no idea where to start.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sardonx 24, 312 (12:00 PM)
A week later, Jocelyn had managed to get settled in. Her room at the temple was fairly modest, just a simple bed, chest, chamberpot and cabinet.

With Ursula's help, she had made the rounds around the village, trying to get to know people better. The reactions had been...mixed. Half of the people she met seemed to welcome her and were happy to see the temple active again. The other half seemed to resent her for 'replacing' their beloved hero, Pastor Richard, or simply not measuring up to his greatness.

During the week, Jocelyn had hired an accountant, as well. A middle-aged half-elf named Linwood with red hair and glasses. He was quite nice and polite, and very good with numbers. He turned out to be a blessing, as Jocelyn had no head for math at all. She didn't even know how much gold she had right now. Never was able to count it past 100 before losing her place and having to start over.

Linwood drew up a budget and managed to explain it easily enough for her. What little money was coming in from donations were put into paying and feeding the church employees (herself, Ursula and now Linwood), and what remained after that was put in maintaining the church itself (keeping it clean and nice looking) and keeping some meager amount of healing supplies (bandages, gauze, disinfectant, and so forth) on hand. There simply wasn't enough money to do more than what they already had.

Jocelyn considered dumping her own gold into the budget, but that was a temporary measure at best. What she really needed to do, Linwood explained, was to bring in more worshipers. That means more donations, which means more money each month for the church's budget.

It was on this day, while Jocelyn was thinking over what to do next, that an old woman came into the temple. Jocelyn knew her as the local innkeeper, Mara. She was a very old half-elf (some said more than a hundred years) and was quite proud and a bit of a blusterer. She also didn't have the most sense, either. Her husband had owned the inn, but he had been quite abusive, so she divorced him and took the inn for herself.

So far, Mara had been fairly indifferent toward Jocelyn, not voicing an opinion about her one way or the other. She also had a nasty cut on her forehead, which was still bleeding a bit, despite her holding one hand over it. "Pastor!" she calls. "I need some healing here. Damn ruffians started a fight in my inn, and I had to give them what for!" she said, swinging her walking stiff around violently in the air.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn had been going over some ideas on how to get more worshipers, but she jumped up upon seeing someone actually walk into the temple. She approached the older woman with a small smile as she watched her actions. "Mara, right?" she asked as she ducked her waving staff. "Here, let me see your forehead. I'm sure you took care of those ruffians though, didn't you?" she asked, deciding to keep with the conversation.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"And how!" Mara stated with a cackle. "Sent 'em cryin' home to their mamas, I tell you what. They'll think twice about trying to take on ol' Mara, that's for sure," she went on. Somehow the idea that an 100+ year old woman took on a whole group of drunken sailors was hard to swallow, though.

The cut on her head was nothing serious. Jocelyn could clean the wound and bandage it, or just use a cure spell to take care of it right away.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Despite the fact that this story seemed a little farfetched to Jocelyn, she decided to just go with it. "I'm sure it will teach them and anyone wanting to start problems in your inn," she stated before she put her hand over the wound on her forehead and started to pray to Octhanus.

Cure Light Wounds (4)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Instantly, the cut heals. There's not even evidence of scarring.

"You're using a spell," Ursula asks incredulously. "What if you need it for later?" Jocelyn had learned that Ursula almost never used her spells. She always worried that something bigger or more important would come up later, and consequently saved them for later. But most times, she wound up not using them at all.

"Ah, thank you, dearie," Mara says. "How much do I owe you?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"There is nothing pressing going on, that I know of, so there is no point in holding back on my prayers when all I have to do is pray for more for the next day," Jocelyn explains. "I guess Ursula rarely uses the gifts that Octhanus bestows upon us?" she asks. "Oh, and uh, 3 gold?" she says.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I don't know, what if there's another pirate attack or something?" Ursula speculates.

"Here you go," Mara says, paying Jocelyn three gold pieces before hobbling out the door.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Then I have other prayers to fall back on," Jocelyn says. "Don't withhold your prayers because you are afraid there is going to be a sudden influx of patients. If you are out of prayers, then you still have other skills to help keep them comfortable until such a time that you can pray again," she explains to Ursula. "Though, really, even during that last pirate attack, how many patients did this place have?"