2e game set in the Forgotten Realms, using the Doom of Daggerdale module

Moderator: NoTrammeling

NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

A Night at the Old Skull Inn

Post by NoTrammeling »

A light but penetrating rain is falling on the evening of Ches 2nd, and the first floor of the Old Skull's common room is nearly filled by a mixed crew of Shadowdale laborers, dangerous-looking mercenaries, and foreigners. No one seems to be out of place here despite whatever their dress or demeanor might be, indeed it seems to be something of a haunt for the more outlandish and bizarre visitors to the city. Aside from this melange of culture and race the inn is famed for its safety and the fine quality of its drinks and food. Its central location, very near the heart of Shadowdale, also lends to its popularity.

The cheerily-lit room is one large, open rectangle that has an orderly assortment of benches and tables lining the walls near the hearths. Only two of the six fireplaces are lit, as the warmth of so many bodies nearly makes the place uncomfortably hot. Standing in the doorway one sees a set of stairs to their immediate right leading to the other landings, the bar and its silver-haired lady innkeep take up nearly one third of the wall to the left, and the rest of the space is given over to hearths, benches, and tables. A duo of musicians plays with some futility on a raised dais in the center of the room, their flute and harp melodies barely audible even close to the stage.

The smell of sweat and spilled ale permeates the room, broken here and there by wafts of herb-encrusted roast game fowl that the servers are carrying to salivating patrons. Jain Longleague is barely managing to defend an empty table from being occupied by a group of local men, porters by the look of their muscles and simple attire. A few coins pass between Jain and the leader of the laborers, which seems to mightily aid in his attempts at preserving the seating.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Re: A Night at the Old Skull Inn

Post by JadedDM »

The door swings open, letting in a burst of cold air. Gimak steps in quickly, throwing his full weight into the door to shut it behind him. He gives a shiver, then removes his wet cloak, folding it up before him, then letting it hang over his left arm.

He walks through the crowd, flexing his big hands to help warm them up. Searching through the sea of faces, he spots a familiar one--Jain, the fellow who set up this little expedition to Daggerdale. It felt odd to be traveling with others after all of this time. Gimak was only now getting used to his one companion--now he would be traveling with a large group of strangers.

Catching the man's eye, Gimak nods and makes his way over to the table. "Got everything in order," the dwarf tells him. "I'll be ready to depart first thing in the morning."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

The door opens again, a tad bit slower this time as Raina walks in as she is looking over her shoulder into the street beyond as if something has caught her eye. "Oh, excuse me, sir," she says politely and cheerfully as she bumps into a patron of the inn trying to exit. Her swift little hands try to catch his purse as they both shove past each other. Though, sadly, she misses the mark. "Sorry, once again!" she calls out as she closes the door behind her.

With a sigh, she takes in the surroundings as she runs her fingers through her hair to get some of the rain out of it. Spotting Gimak and Jain, she waves at the pair before she finally joins them at the table. "You know, for a dwarf, you are pretty swift on your feet. Of course, you had a pretty large head start," she adds, obviously teasing the dwarf. She then looks to Jain, and smiles. "Hi," she says simply.

Picking Pocket Roll (51, fail)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

From the stairs to the guest rooms comes a woman who would dissolve in any crowd due to her unremarkable looks, were she not wearing the pink and gold robes of the clerics of Lathander Morninglord. She makes her way through the crowd to the table. "Good evening Jainer, good evening strangers. My name is Eringard, I will be travelling with you, back to my home town and temple." Her voice is kind, just strong enough to be heard over the noise.
She casts a look towards the inn door, then sits at a place as close to it as politeness allows, not to offend anyone by not wanting to be close to them.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Jain is dressed in casual clothes this evening, a sturdy green tunic and brown leather leggings but he still radiates martial prowess and you would be shocked indeed to learn that he was unarmed.

Relief washes over Jain when he spots the familiar dwarf shouldering his way through the crowd, people seemed eager enough to hop out of his way with little encouragement. The man waves Gimak over, bidding him sit with a hand still tucked in its fur-lined glove. "Gimak, my old stump!" Jain smiles easily, offering a hand for clasping. "Directly to business I see. Relax tonight, have a drink on me, who knows? It could be your last!" He laughs insincerely, focus having shifted to a moving point in the crowd.

This time when the man smiles it lights up his face, though there's hunger in that look as well. Tugging off his gloves finger by finger he somehow finds the room to make a smooth, shallow bow. "Miss Raina, why, you're a sight to make any man's blood run hot even on a cold night such as this. Please, join us, and don't let me see you reach for that coin-purse for anything tonight." He finally pulls his eyes from her to greet Eringard as she walks over.

The smile slowly drains from his face replaced by the aloof neutrality all three of the group had seen from him before, used for negotiating and business-dealings. "My Lady Eringard." The older man leans forward to brush his cheek against hers in greeting, his beard feels just as scratchy as it looks. "We were just going to order our first round, have a seat," he says, in a tone that doesn't give anything away.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Gimak shakes the man's hand then has a seat. "Won't say no to a drink," he states. "Could use something to help warm these bones."

He nods to Raina when she arrives. "Well, it was your idea to split up to get things done faster," he points out.

"Fair evening to you, Springlady," he adds to Eringard when she arrives, recognizing the unusual colors of her vestments.
Faeryl Nhiikira
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Faeryl Nhiikira »

The door opens once more, and a small woman enters the inn, grumbling about the weather.

"Blasted... stinking rain..."

She sweeps off her hat and turns it upside down just outside, on the doorstep, the veritable gallons of water pouring from it creep across the threshold into the inn.

"Oops. Didn't mean for that to happen..." The woman quickly closes the door and shakes off her cloak as well, dumping yet more water onto the floor. She takes a seat at the nearest empty table and asks for something warm to drink to help chase out the chill of that hrasting rain.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Elianna pushes the door aside with a firm hand and throws back her hood as she nods to the occasional patron. Adjusting the hilt of the ornate Longsword she approaches the bar, her course alters with a dextrous movement as Jain gets in her eyeline.

"Well met." Raising her left hand in greeting she brings herself to her full height of five and a half feet, her leather boots creaking as she does so, her long red hair falling round her shoulders.

"My lady." Bowing to the Cleric with reverence, before addressing the group, "Elianna Troy, at your service." pulling her hair back, she reveals the sharp points of her ears revealing her elven heritage.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Eringard giggles a little after having been addressed as "lady" for the third time.
"Oh please, just use my name. Every time someone looks in my direction and says »lady«, I must refrain from looking over my shoulder to see who is behind me" she tells Elianna. "I am called Eringard."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Well Eringard it is then." She responds with a casual nod.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Jain bows his head in greeting to Elianna, then raises a hand to mirror her hail. "Well met, Troy. Are you acquainted with the others of the group yet?" He steps to the half-elf's side, turning so that he's facing the group at their table. "This is Elianna Troy, deft enough with a blade, and sharp eyes."

He raises a hand toward Eringard. "The Lady Eringard, who offers her fealty to Lathander. And to a lesser extent this group."

Jain sweeps his hand over their dwarfish companion. "Gimak Rockcrusher, a stout warrior and competent smith I'm sure you'll all find." He grins rakishly, finally getting to Raina. "But of course our nimble friend, Miss Raina Joyner, knows that already. A better scout you could never hope for, and wicked with that blade of hers."

"And of course, you all know me. Jain Longleague, concerned philanthropist." His eyes twinkle in the tavern's lamp-light. "Hmmm, perhaps well-paid philanthropist," he allows bemusedly.

EDIT: clarity and color
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, aren't you the flatterer," Raina said cheerily to Jain, clearly enjoying his compliment towards her, though she ignores the look in his eyes. ~He's harmless,~ she tells herself.

Now that other people join the table, she looks to them each in turn, as if studying them. Decide, that for the moment, that they both look to be useful, so she offers them a smile as she stands up from the table to shake their hands. "It is nice to meet you both. Like Jain has said, I'm Raina. He gave me a much better introduction than I could have ever given myself."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"A fine pleasure to make the acquaintance of you both," Gimak says to the cleric and elf. His eye catches the little halfling that just entered, and he gently nudges Jain with his elbow. "Just a gut feeling, but would she be one of the expedition, as well?" he inquires, gesturing to Seraphina.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Eringard nods to everyone with a friendly smile as they are introduced, but says nothing further.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Well I am now." She replies with a little giggle, giving Raina a curious glance, as she offers her a gloved hand. "We are all useful in our own way, as long as it is for the greater good."

"How many answered the call?" She asks, taking a seat near Jain, but not too close, "And are we eating? I have yet to Sup." Her eyes go to the Halfling, her people were useful on occasion, when stealth was required.

Borderlands 3 - Navi