2e game set in the Forgotten Realms, using the Doom of Daggerdale module

Moderator: NoTrammeling

NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

House Rules

Post by NoTrammeling »

Please note, I have just taken what I like from Jaded's nifty thread so full credit to him, and added one or two of my own devising. Any questions, please ask.

Character Generation - Method V (4d6, drop the lowest, choose order). I am also willing to work with the point-buy system if you have your heart set on a particular class.
Firing into Melee - This rule is completely ignored. You can only hit an ally during melee with a projectile weapon if you roll a fumble or if they move directly into your line of fire (and are larger than or the same size as your target). If you try and fire a projectile weapon at a target while someone else is meleeing you, the opponent gets a free attack.
Crossbows - A character need not take a proficiency in order to effectively use a crossbow. Light crossbow deal 1d6 with a RoF of 1/1. Heavy crossbows deal 1d8 with a RoF of 1/2 (Attacks on rounds 1, 3, 5, etc...) and ignore armor of ringmail quality or below (unless magical).
Intelligence Bonus to Proficiencies - For every language slot a character gets from INT, they get an extra NWP slot, as well.
Nonweapon Proficiencies - I use both weapon and nonweapon proficiencies in my game, not secondary skills. Unless stated otherwise, a character must train to learn a new proficiency slot once it becomes available.
Critical Hits/Misses - I use both. A natural 20 is a critical hit, and the character is allowed to roll for damage twice (not once and then multiplied by two). On a natural 1, the character fumbles. What this means is up to the DM, but it can involve a weapon breaking, accidentally hitting oneself or an ally, dropping a weapon or falling down to the ground. It depends on the situation.
Hovering at Death's Door - I do use this rule. At 0 HP, a character becomes unconscious and bleeds out (losing 1 HP per round) until they reach death at -10 HP. A character who is bleeding out can have their wounds bound (no check or roll needed) to stop the bleeding. Magical healing spells only restore an unconscious character to 1 HP and no more can be used until the character has rested one day (exception--the Heal spell).
No Racial Ability Minimums or Maximums
No Level Limits
Relaxed Racial/Class/Alignment Restrictions - I'm willing to consider most race/class/alignment combos, but only if they make sense. For example a dwarf could not be a wizard because of their racial resistance to magic. Likewise a CE paladin would just be right out.
Proficiency Slots - If a player adds an empty NWP slot to a proficiency he/she already has, they get a +2 to their rolls.
Aid Another - If two characters have the same proficiency, one can 'aid' the other in their roll, and this adds a +2 to the roll.
Full HP at 1st level - Characters will automatically receive full HP at first level; subsequent levels must be rolled for, however.

Posting
Present Tense - Keep your posts in present tense, please.
Three Day Rule - The DM will wait for any given player at least three days before moving on.
Name Your Targets! - When in combat, make sure to specify who you are hitting or where you are centering any spells.
Roll or No Roll - If you roll (attack, damage, initiative, whatever), use Invisible Castle and then (most importantly) post the results of your rolls. If you do not roll, the DM will roll for you. If you forget your modifiers, the DM will add them (when he remembers to).
AWOL - If a player vanishes (stops posting, doesn't even log in) for at least a month without giving any prior explanation or warning, they are dropped from the game and their character becomes a permanent NPC.
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Re: House Rules

Post by NoTrammeling »

Experience

Experience will be awarded at the close of a chapter. All of the standard reasons for gaining exp apply though please note I do not split enemy exp between characters, everyone gets a full share.

1) You will receive bonus experience for doing anything clever (using terrain during combat instead of just attacking X, outwitting NPC's, catching traps before they spring on you, etc...)

2) You will receive PARTIAL experience for successfully negotiating your way out of/around a fight, BUT only if you would have been shortly forced to fight (e.g., seeing a raiding party in the distance and choosing to remain hidden would earn nothing, but being caught by the raiders and intimidating/wheedling your way out of a fight would). I have this rule in place because I do not wish to discourage the very real and sensible practices of avoiding full-blown combat.

*Please note that if you avoid an encounter with say some goblins, receive partial exp for it, then turn around and fight them you will only garner the remaining exp (combat exp - avoidance exp = remainder).

**Please also note that you can, in tandem with 1), receive more than the total combat exp if you're particularly cheeky or creative.

3) I do use optional exp sources (fighters get exp for every HD defeated, priests/mages get spell exp, etc...)

4) You will receive Roleplaying exp for any exchanges with other PC's/NPC's, and for any relevant exposition of character history (just spouting things does not count).

Should you think you've been short-changed, please PM me and we can discuss things ^^ Am only human after all