Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 1: Haven and Hell

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 1: Haven and Hell

Post by djhyland »

Darga looks about the group, from one face to another. He is pretty sure he's getting in over his head; talk of gods and new and old is dangerous, as far as he is concerned. Speak of the new and you get cast in with the most zealous of the Seekers, and speak of the old and you're branded as a heretic. Still, he feels he must point something out.

"If th'only one who knows where this thing belongs is the old 'un," he says with a gesture to the ancient hobgoblin, "then where'd we take it if ya decide that we're better fer the job?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"True Gods?" Kendra scoffs at the idea and shakes her head. "Sounds like just another charlatan nonsense to me."
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

Kynaston is quite skeptical as well, but for a change expresses it through laughter instead. "Hah, hah! I thought I wasn't going to like you, old man, but you're a regular court fool! Yeah, your jewelry there's got the fate of time and the old gods hanging in the balance, eh? I bet you've got a ring that turns gnomes into dragons to sell us too, eh? What a riot!"

He continues to laugh, pointing. "That's the foolest thing I've ever heard! Wha hah hah! What elven arse did you pluck that tale from, you nutter? Perhaps I should make friends with more hobgoblins."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin started to lose patience, this discussion of gods seemed absurd, as the dragons Trench mentioned.
He piped in "Think there will be dragons in the mine eh?"

He was thinking to himself that this discussion wasn't necessary. Something in the mine was causing problems - so it should be gotten rid of, imprisoned, evicted, killed, destroyed. end of.
He kept himself quiet however, people take religion seriously enough he didnt want to step on everyone's toes at once.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga scowls at Kynaston's rude humor at the hobgoblin's expense. But it is not his place to chastise, so he remains silent.
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco reels back as if struck, eyes widened by shock and a mixture of untellable emotions. The holy symbol of Weerschaal slips from her hand as she hugs her arms around herself, slightly hunched as against a chill breeze. "She whispers, come the dark... But She is no Goddess of mine. She would bring dominion and plague! Order, but order at the cost of choice. She would unbalance the world and that can only bring ruin. I do not follow Her, no! And never will." She backs away from the old hobgoblin, averting her gaze. "H-how have you come to know this Zivilyn? If there ~are~ other Gods why are they silent?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae wrote:"Perhaps we should be the ones to return it to its rightful spot, should we prove strong enough to retrieve it."
"Perhaps so," the old hobgoblin says to Haahqae. "But in any case, the device must be retrieved first."
Kendra wrote:"Sounds like just another charlatan nonsense to me."
Kynaston wrote:"That's the foolest thing I've ever heard! Wha hah hah!"
He shows no anger, or any reaction whatsoever, to Kendra's and Kynaston's mocking. He seems ever serene. "Whether you believe or not is currently unimportant; you will see with your own eyes soon enough. In seven days, all of Haven will."
Coroccoco wrote:"H-how have you come to know this Zivilyn? If there ~are~ other Gods why are they silent?"
"The answer to the first question is winding and uninteresting, and I have delayed you long enough," he explains. "As for the second, yes, twenty-one gods in total. Long have they been silent, but that is changing. The Dark Queen breaks the pact; meddles in the mortal world. Her companions join her. The Platinum Dragon now moves against her, getting involved with his own companions. There are others, like Zivilyn, who do not wish to get involved at all. But such is the way of things, I suppose."

He takes his medallion in his hands and lifts it over his head. In doing so, a strange sort of magic occurs. An identical medallion splits from the original, and drops back down around his neck. He hands the other to Coroccoco. "Take this, if it pleases you. It will grant you special insight that may help you in your quest, if you wear it. When we meet again, perhaps we can talk more of Zivilyn."
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco eyes the proffered amulet as she would some venomous snake, but despite her misgivings she finds herself reaching out a clawed hand and taking the old hobgoblin's gift. She quickly takes it and stuffs it into her sleeve, not yet ready to accept a new God where her self-found faith still lingers. "Indeed," she murmurs as an afterthought. Coco's entire posture is changed at the acceptance, shoulders slumped, eyes glossy and introspective.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Seven days?" Kendra asks, suddenly a little concerned. "What is going to happen to Haven?" she asks.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Haahqae looks like someone who's just seen magic for the first time. "Woah, that was amazing! Can you do it again? Coroccoco, can I get a look at it? Can I please?" Haahqae hops over to where the large hobgobliness stands and stretches up to tug at her arm.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Kendra wrote:"Seven days?" Kendra asks, suddenly a little concerned. "What is going to happen to Haven?" she asks.
"Everything will change," the old hobgoblin says seriously. But then, his mood suddenly lightens and he smiles. Patting the young woman on the shoulder, he adds, "But you don't believe in such things, yes? Just more charlatan nonsense, I am sure."

Stepping aside, he nods to them. "Good luck in your quest. And remember, things are not always as they appear. We shall meet again. Farewell." And with that, he starts to hobble away.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga silently watches the old hobgoblin walk away. After a moment, he picks up his pack and walking stick, ready to start walking again. "Well, those demons in th' mine aren't just gonna leave by themselves."
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

It was only when Gregeddin's jaw began to feel stiff that he realised he has been gaping at the two hobgoblins. He knew it was rude to stare and have one's mouth open, but by the wind what had he just seen? Too much in the past two days, this wasn't normal he tried to remind himself.
Gathering his bearings he tried to get a closer look at the medallions still on the ancient hobgoblin and Croroccoco, but the elder began to move away and this new item was now tucked away in sleeve cloth.

Rubbing his jaw he turns to Darga and takes a long look before nodding "Mmm, suppose you're right." in agreement. This man seemed entirely unfazed by these events, perhaps it was his personality, to adapt and survive to new circumstances, which was the veil for his thoughts. Needing time to collect his own, Gregeddin unpacked his Zheng to play as they marched.

This display of power troubled Gregeddin. Suspicious and, for lack of a better word, afraid. Afraid of the uncertainty, not trusting the advice let alone the images his eyes conveyed.
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Snapping out of her reverie, Coco lifts a foot and plants it gently-but-firmly on Haahque's chest trying to keep the exuberant gnome at bay. "From my corpse, should we be so fortunate." Still, the corners of her mouth turn up in amusement at his antics. She stares after the retreating hobgoblin, "I have seen many suns come and go, but this one is strangest by far. And tricks done with more flourish... But..." She trails off, gaze lingering on the old messenger.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra watches the older hobgoblin walk away. She didn't like what was being said about Haven, and part of her was wanting to go back at this point. "Are we ready to go?" she asks, glancing back to the others.