Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 1: Haven and Hell

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 1: Haven and Hell

Post by Haahque »

"Which river is changing course? Is it the Haven river? Is the enemy trying to cut off Haven's water supply? This is an outrage, we should warn the guards!"

Haahqae has read about this "balance" thing many times, but has never really understood it. It's quite clear from his readings that it is not referring to one's ability to stay upright when they stand and walk, but it's never been made clear that it actually is. However, it is made crystal clear that "balance" is quite a fragile thing, like crystal, that should be protected at all costs. Like crystal, if "balance" is destroyed, it's darn hard to put it back together again, and even if you do it'll never be quite the same as it was before.

"Never fear, if this woman is trying to destroy the balance, we will find her and stop her. Is she doing it with this item? We should separate it from her. But where could she be? She could be anywhere. She could be here!" Haahqae scans the surrounding area eying the suspects. Most of them pass inspection by not fitting the description he was given. "Kendra, do you have any pendants or scepters? Are you trying to destroy the balance?"
Veni Vidi Vici
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Hey! Why are you assuming it is me?" Kendra asks. She looks a little insulted at the implication. "But no, I can barely afford the clothes on my back, so I know I wouldn't be able to afford a pendant or scepter," she explains. "And, you know, "she" is a pretty vague description. What does this pendant or scepter do, exactly?"
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga shakes his head. "I'm not the smartest," he says to Haahqae, "but I think that if'n the Seeker was who the old one meant, he'd know her by sight. Ya ask me, yer lookin' to make things harder than they need ta be."
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

Kyne grimaces at the old hobgoblin. "See what you've started?"
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco drops her rations back into her sack and pulling its closing cord tight, maybe a little more violently than strictly necessary. Her golden eyes stay locked on the old hobgoblin barely hearing her teammates. Her mind wanders. Back to the day before when their paths crossed in the marketplace, back to the 'priest' whose real magic has been eating away at her. "Pendants..." she mutters to herself, "that vile man wore a pendant." She growls to no one in particular, refocusing on the events at hand.

[ooc](I'm actually unsure if Coco saw his pendant, or if he tucked it back away before they got into their tiff)[/ooc]
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

After listening to Kendra's defense and Darga's argument to support her, Haahqae drops his accusation but not his cause. "Hmm, fair enough observations, We'll have to look farther afield for this woman. We're already on route to the mine, perhaps we can search there."
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Gregeddin watched his companions speak around the whirling flurry of Haaqae's thoughts, meanwhile his own mind wandered...
I wonder if this elder means 'she' as a way of describing some object, like the mountain itself has awoken. I'm pretty sure I have heard people talk of this 'sea' phenomenon as a 'she'.

Coming back into focus, he thought better of aharing this with the group...

"So we still go to the mine, and clear it out right?"
He asked to the group
"I thought that was where our 'river was taking us anyway..."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Darga wrote:"Ya say there's a woman who let these demons into the mine? And she's still down there with 'em? Just who is this woman?"
The hobgoblin nods to Darga. "Yes, that is correct. Her presence changes the river, but perhaps this works out. Your presence here...could be a boon. To stop her before she goes too far."
Kynaston wrote:"That place is run by those sorts of people, and the people outside of the town are getting to the point where they'd probably kill someone just to show how much they disagree.
He listens to Kynaston and nods. "Ah, Haven. Yes, what will happen there will happen. Nothing can change that. Things are already in motion. As some of you have already seen, I have no doubt."
Kendra wrote:"And, you know, "she" is a pretty vague description. What does this pendant or scepter do, exactly?"
"The device allows one to navigate the river, to find their way. It is not a tool for mortals, but for the gods. It must be retrieved." He suddenly starts coughing violently, and this causes a medallion around his neck to fall out of his robes, and dangle in plain sight. It's round and made of ironwood, with a carving of a tree with limbs high in the air and roots stretching down below on it.

He wipes some spittle from his mouth, but makes no move to conceal the medallion again. "I am too old and feeble to do so. So it falls upon you. Stop her, retrieve the device, and return it to me. Only then can the damage she's done be undone, and the river's course be corrected."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"What God do you follow?" Kendra asks as she looks over the pendant from a distance.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"The World Tree, Zivilyn," the old hobgoblin replies with a smile. "God of insight, wisdom, harmony and time." Taking hold of his medallion, he holds it out for the others to see, should they wish.

==========

(OOC: It should be noted, as none of you have Religion, Ancient History, or Astrology; or had a formal education, it's unlikely any of you have heard of Zivilyn, either the god or the planet.)
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco scowls sourly, producing her own holy symbol from beneath her robes. "A personal God of your own, ancient one? I have met as many as Deities as blades of grass in my journeys. None that grant miracles as the Gods of old! None that were true prophets..." She snorts, temper building. "Weerschaal's way is also that of harmony and study of self, I have seen Her myself. Heard her words! By what right does this Zivilyn claim her domains?"
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Oh she's in the mine? Very good we'll be right there. Just got to take a god amulet and..." Haahqae trails off in thought. he paces for a few seconds then turns back to the old hobgoblin. "Wait a second. If it's not a tool for mortals, why would we give the amulet to you, a mortal who is too old and feeble to even retrieve it?"
Veni Vidi Vici
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Following Haahqae's train of thought, Gregeddin continues "Yes! Surely such a device which causes great harm and peril must be destroyed! A new, mortal, master would not prevent such travesty from happening again"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Zivilyn is an old god, older than time itself," the old hobgoblin says calmly to Coroccoco. "Some say Zivilyn is time itself. His roots and branches stretch into the past, present and future. He sees all sides, all times, all angles at once. As his devout follower, he sometimes grants me visions of the past or future, when needed."

Looking to Haahqae, he adds, "And that is why the device should be given to me. As Zivilyn's servant, I can see that it is returned to where it must be."

Back to Coroccoco, he adds, "Times are changing. The era of false gods is coming to a close. The true gods are returning. You know this. One has called to you already, yes? She meddles in this world, as she has always done. Many of your brethren have answered the call. You know her power is real...yet you chose to ignore her. Very curious, indeed."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Of course the era of false gods is coming to a close. "True" gods have been gone too long for it not to.

But you haven't answered how we can be sure an artifact this powerful will be safe with a frail old hobgoblin who couldn't stop a bandit if it hit him over the head. Perhaps we should be the ones to return it to its rightful spot, should we prove strong enough to retrieve it."
Veni Vidi Vici