Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 1: Haven and Hell

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 1: Haven and Hell

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Haven can't even help them," Kendra says. "Even if you could help just a few of them, that is better than none at all," she admits before she turns her attention to the figure approach them. "You guys," she says softly, hoping to draw their attention to the newcomer.
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco makes short work of her meal, chomping it down hardly-chewed at an alarming rate. At Kendra's word she lifts her gaze to the approaching figure but makes no move to act from her sitting position.
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

"Not helping any of 'em because ya can't help all of 'em is like saying that ya won't catch any fish from a pond because ya can't catch 'em all," Darga mutters. At Kendra's gesture, he looks up at the approaching newcomer. Though he says nothing, he tightens his grip on his walking stick and stands up.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

"Yes I'd like to help if I can, its very kind of you to show me" Gregeddin replies to Darga.

At Kendra's prompt Gregeddin remains seated and swivels his torso around to view this new figure. At noone in particular he says "well who do we have here?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The old man continues toward them, undeterred, until he finally reaches the party. "Hail, and greetings," he says, his voice a tad raspy. Hands shaking, he slowly pulls back his hood, revealing the face of an ancient hobgoblin.

As races go, some are longer lived than others. Elves and dwarves, for instance, are said to live centuries. But hobgoblins are a short-lived race, even compared to humans. Most never live past 60, and that's in the rare case they don't get killed before then. But this hobgoblin appears downright venerable. Maybe 90 or older, if such a thing is even possible.

"You are not supposed to be here," he says, muttering to himself. "Things are already changing then." He speaks up, addressing the group. "You are somehow involved in the mine, yes?"
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Coroccoco lifts herself, bouncing to the balls of her feet. She sniffs loudly while approaching the old one, after a moment it becomes obvious that she's actively smelling him. Her instincts scream for her to challenge him for dominance, but there's weakness in her heart for the wisdom of the elderly.

"Be welcome ancient one," she rasps back in goblin then switches to common for the benefit of her companions, "Will you accept what spare meal we have to offer? " She removes her hat, dipping her head in respect. "Many things change in times such as these, even the sky can be blackened."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Listening to the old man ramble Haahqae jumps up to a standing position to reply. "No we're not supposed to be here, we're supposed to be at the mine. What is changing? What news do you bring about the mine?"
Veni Vidi Vici
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

"I'm not sure we have the time to be huntin'," Kynaston comments to Darga. He means to say something else, but he is cutoff by the appearance of an old hobgoblin.

It's probably the oldest creature Kynaston has ever seen. He'd heard of some sage men or elves that had aged and become quite ripe, but he'd not seen many of them- war and disease had seen to that. He'd certainly never spotted a hobgoblin with wrinkles, and he was so taken aback that he barely heard what the wizened creature was saying.

Although his hand wants to go for the axe, he stays it when the hobgoblin travelling with them sniffs the air.

I' hope this doesn't become the norm, he thinks to himself.

"Before you offer food to a traveller," Kynaston butts in, once again reprimanding the Hobgoblin companion while a little worked up, "Think of how little we got ourselves. There's sharin' scraps, and then there's sharin' crumbs, after all."

Although the beefy man could be generous, it seemed to him like the hobgoblin was too quick to over-extend aid; and it was not what the merc had been taught to trust any sort of goblin. He had also intended to help the lady that his monsterous ally had troubled, but at this rate they would not make it home in a day.
NoTrammeling
Merchant
Merchant

Post by NoTrammeling »

Loosing the drawstring on her haversack the pugilistic priestess drops a claw in, coming out with a neatly-wrapped cloth bundle about the size of her fist. She definitely seems amused, and indeed smugly victorious, as she shoots Kynaston a sidelong glance. "From my own stores. I would not presume on your knowledge of niceties, little man," baits Coco, hoping to get a rise out of Trench.
mgbevan
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by mgbevan »

Standing up to face the old being Gregeddin replies "Greetings elder" While lightly dipping his head. He had no idea of the proper custom for hobgoblins in general, not the normal clientele of his parents during his upbringing, but tried to use Coroccoco as a gauge. The sniffing however, did not quite seem as good an idea...
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

Coco very nearly does prompt a heated reaction from Kynaston-as his skin reddens to show his temper, the fire of indignation is quenched by the simple slapping of his hand over his face.

In a strained tone Kyne bids her, "Please don't muddle with my humors, Hobgoblin. I'm a simple man, and simply can't keep up with twisty minds like yours."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra looks at the rest of them with a look of confusion. ~They are too trusting, except for maybe Mr. Trench,~ she thinks to herself. "How is it that you know we are going to a mine?" she asks the ancient hobgoblin. "Other than my...acquaintances readily confirming that fact." She then looks to Coco. "And, you know, you could have offered some of your stores to those that didn't have any before he showed up, since you are working with us."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Thank you," the old hobgoblin says, "but I am not hungry." He politely waves away any food offered to him.

"I know you are involved with the mine in someway," he says, "because you aren't supposed to be here. You're heading there then?"

Bear frowns. "What do you know about my mine, old hob? Do you have something to do with the demons there?"

The hobgoblin shakes his head. "No, no, certainty not. Demons you say? How very interesting. It is your intention to kill these 'demons' then? Good, good. That saves me quite a bit of trouble. The river must not be allowed to change course. The consequences would be disastrous." He starts to pace back and forth, muttering to himself, before addressing the group again. "The woman behind this; she stole something that was not hers to take. She used it to cause the mess we're in now. A device; it resembles a pendant, or possibly a scepter. You must be certain to reclaim it from her. Do not allow her to use it, or she may cause further harm. She believes she is doing her people a service, but in truth, she is destroying the balance."
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

Darga furrows his brow at the old hobgoblin's words. He's not sure if he can trust him, as most of his previous encounters with goblin-kind have been unpleasant. However, the hobgoblin woman he's traveling with hasn't treated him poorly yet, and maybe this one is like her. Still, he asks, "Ya say there's a woman who let these demons into the mine? And she's still down there with 'em? Just who is this woman?"
Just_Ice
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Just_Ice »

Kynaston peeks an eye through the hand to take in the old hobgoblin's ramblings.

"Your mouth speaks common," Kynaston informs him, his arms now crossed while spitting, "But that ain't what your brain's speakin', old gob. The world is full'a people who are just dying to tell you where you aren't supposed to be, and that's a load of horseshit. We're going to storm that mine with or without your blessing, thanks."

With that, he regains a bit of composure.

"That said, be careful if you're headed in that direction," he mentions, thumbing back towards Haven, "That place is run by those sorts of people, and the people outside of the town are getting to the point where they'd probably kill someone just to show how much they disagree."