Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread

Post by djhyland »

JadedDM wrote:I tend to rely on random rolls for treasure, though, so most of the time I come up empty because of bad luck (I once had to roll a dragon's hoard three times, because the first two times I rolled nothing, not even a handful of coppers).
I much prefer the random rolling for treasure to the "here's an item tailored especially for you!" approach. While it's nice to get, say, a holy avenger sword for your paladin character by DM fiat, I think it's more interesting to be the paladin with a trident of warning that you happened to find, and use it because it's better than anything else you have. I guess I like the unpredictability. And sure, sometimes you roll up a penniless dragon, but sometimes you roll up something great. (In my home game, I rolled up a giant-bane sword as part of a giant's treasure, and thought that was very cool. Now, the players just have to finally go and find the giant's lair...)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

There are a couple of details from Grubnick's last scene i'd like to get.

Did Harrin shake Grubnick's hand? This would determine whether or not he mentioned the old gods to him. Was Harrin receptive to anything he said?

What was the result of Grubnick watching the patrols? Did he learn anything about the size, type or frequency? I suspect he may need to sneak around after curfew at some point; and he is the type to try to plan 10 steps ahead (like a Khas player)

I like randomly rolled treasure as well. I had a mage once who stumbled upon a greater staff of the magi randomly rolled... at 4th level... Needless to say he mopped up the rest of the next two scenes fairly easily; until the main nemesis began sending covens of lesser vampires and barganing with demons... he was a bit overworked after that.
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs transporting the Crown... while being hunted by a murderer... Act 3, Scene 1
Genwald: DM. PCs Orc hunting before facing the worg-riders again... Act 2, Scene 2
Puzzle Dungeon: DM. Labyrinth of Madness reboot! Approaching the Labyrinth
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

djhyland wrote:I much prefer the random rolling for treasure to the "here's an item tailored especially for you!" approach.
I agree. I just have abysmal luck. Ask Horizon. I have honestly run games that went as far as 6th level with no permanent magical items whatsoever.
TristenC wrote:Did Harrin shake Grubnick's hand? This would determine whether or not he mentioned the old gods to him. Was Harrin receptive to anything he said?
He shook his hand, but the moment Grubnick mentioned gods, he would have rolled his eyes and muttered something about 'religious nuts.'
TristenC wrote:What was the result of Grubnick watching the patrols? Did he learn anything about the size, type or frequency? I suspect he may need to sneak around after curfew at some point; and he is the type to try to plan 10 steps ahead (like a Khas player)
In the merchant district, all the patrols and checkpoints are manned by draconians (mostly Baaz, but some Kapaks, as well). The patrols usually consist of around 5 draconians and a one would pass by every 4 or 5 minutes.

The real trick to sneaking around after curfew will be the checkpoints. They are set up at every street corner.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

JadedDM wrote:
The real trick to sneaking around after curfew will be the checkpoints. They are set up at every street corner.
Sure... if one were to use the roads... :D
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs transporting the Crown... while being hunted by a murderer... Act 3, Scene 1
Genwald: DM. PCs Orc hunting before facing the worg-riders again... Act 2, Scene 2
Puzzle Dungeon: DM. Labyrinth of Madness reboot! Approaching the Labyrinth
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Hi,
This was short chapter indeed. I haven't read the game thread yet, but from here I understand Tulbas situation isn't that good... :) but he is still alive so that's count for something.
Anyway, I think both Tulbas and myself got really shaken up by the murder of Raetmal and Tulbas being forced to serve the murderer himself! Tulbas is confused. His world crumble. He doesn't trust his companions and beside one time Gregeddin offered to listen to him if he wants to clear off what's on his chest, no one did in particular offered a real comfort to him.
So, being young (for an elf) and under the current circumstances, Tulbas makes a lot of judgement mistakes. He doesn't want to get back home, were he can find only sorrow and depression, he is not motivated to do anything, he still has a lot to figure out and his emotions to settle a bit before he finds his path again.
With the Belzorites, Tulbas hadn't much choice. Magnus wanted it to be done and it was an opportunity to get out of the house. With the merchants, on one hand Tulbas was quiet reluctant as it seemed like a waste of time, on the other hand, he thought it could be amusing to see how will Gregeddin will perform the task.
Going alone in the night to the brothel was a terrible judgement, with the only excuse of being emotionally disturbed after visiting Reatmal's grave.

I think Tulbas will act a lot differently in the coming few game play weeks if not month, until all settles down and then we can see if he returns o his original alignment or a completely different one. (In the begining he was TN, but I actually played him more like NG... now he is more like L with incline to E but its still no true E)

So, I'm curious to see what will happen next.

C ya soon.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

BishGada wrote:With the merchants, on one hand Tulbas was quiet reluctant as it seemed like a waste of time, on the other hand, he thought it could be amusing to see how will Gregeddin will perform the task.
Yeah, I kind of got the impression that Tulbas was hoping to set Gregeddin up to fail. He was the one who volunteered Gregeddin for the job, in fact, and seemed to push for him to take the job.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Gonna be very basic because of a pushy individual who will not be named *cough* spyguy *cough*

Will our home being on a volcano and it just exploding and we get flung everywhere and I got separated work?
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

*cough* finally *cough* lol
Also, new OOC thread time?
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Hmm, well I'm only aware of two volcanoes in Ansalon. The Lords of Doom, which are a chain of volcanoes, are in Neraka (which is basically Dragonlance's version of Mordor). They're about 400 miles northeast of Haven. There's also a volcano on the island of Mithas, which is over 800 miles northeast of Haven. Either way, he's a long way from home, so we'd need a reason why he traveled so far away even if his village was destroyed.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Well, did the dragon army go by either, we can say he ran to escape them if they did?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, the dragonarmy has all of Abanasinia now (except Qualinesti). Maybe they found his village and destroyed it, and he escaped?

When he ran into Ne-Chanz, who is a deserted, he realized having someone who used to be in the army could be useful?
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

What do I need other than that, or can we get in it?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal