Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 1: The South Wind

The kingdom long divided must unite; long united, must divide.

AD&D 2E Game with some modifications

Moderator: betaraybill

betaraybill
Vagabond
Vagabond
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 1: The South Wind

Post by betaraybill »

Shiran begins to take a step toward Levia and Melchior, but his motion is arrested by a shout.

"That's one of them there!" A man pushes his way towards Shiran, and the people around him spread out to form a circle - including Seth, who quickly disappears. Only three of the field workers remain who despite apparently not having any idea what this about, had already formed a dislike for the youth. The man who had pointed out Shiran is a fat man of the merchant caste. He wears rich clothing of a bright red color with a matching cap, is fringed and ringed, and has a curly beard and mustache.

"He's a thief! I saw them earlier, stalking around the edge of the crowd! Three of them there were, this big lout standing out for the bull he is! I found my gold missing, and I knew it must be them! I saw another one, a woman, rushing away to the west."

Murmurs pass through the throng, and people begin to crowd toward the circle, pushing Lev and Mel back towards that spot unless they actively resist. Shiran stands with his hands hanging limply by his sides, dumbfounded. He begins to stammer some kind of response, a defense, anything.

"Quiet, you!" One of the field workers snaps at him. They had heard all they needed to hear, and fan out, approaching Shiran with arms spread and legs planted in wrestler's fashion. Shiran moves his hand towards his back, perhaps to reach for a weapon, then apparently thinks better of it, and turns away from the field workers to sprint into the crowd. Before he takes a step, the nearest of the workers springs forward and catches him by the waist. The other two are on him in an instant, wrestling him to the ground.

Shiran shouts in frustration, "I didn't do anything! I didn't!"

---------------------

From their vantage point, Alon and Ashur see the ring form near the southeast fringe. Four, or perhaps five people stand alone in a circle of about 12 yards in diameter.

"There!" Ashur points to the circle, and after a few moment, city guards begin to push into the crowd from the west.

"The Temple Guardians should provide what help they can. Alon, you stay here in case..." his voice trails off without finishing his sentence, which is instead punctuated by a gasp of astonishment. "The Prophet..." Ashur trails off again.

Without his having noticed it, due to the commotion in the crowd, Alon suddenly becomes aware of a cool breeze that is quickly becoming a gale, pushing down the temple steps to the south, bringing with it the scent the incense, and something more. Mist. The sense of power emanating from the Prophet has increased by an order of magnitude - it is almost palpable now. The Prophet stands, his mantle whipping around his body in the wind. He is a slight figure, with a grey head - looking much older than his age. Between his two raised hands, the mist gathers in a pillar, a column of cloud slowly raising towards the heavens.

---------------------

OOC: I'm gonna stop here in case anyone wants to act. Lev and Mel have not yet noticed the pillar of cloud. For the moment, Alon is transfixed - unable to act - so Bre, you don't have to post for the moment. I'm sorry I keep leaving you without anything really to do - it won't be long ;)

Also, if anyone wants to leave feedback or ask questions, go for it in the OOC thread.
-- Bill
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Come now!" Melchior objects to the field workers. "Do you have any proof of your accusations? You can't just start tackling random people without cause."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"He didn't do anything!" Levia says in defense of her friend. "He was just trying to join my brother and me in the crowd."
betaraybill
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by betaraybill »

The fat merchant cocks his eye at Lev, "Ah, so you're with him than?"

"She's got nothing to do with it!" Shiran cries.

"Shut up, you!" one of the field workers yells at him, and slaps him in the face, having freed himself from the pile of wrestlers while the other two of the field workers restrain Shiran. Shiran turns red, and begins to struggle anew, cursing and spitting, but the workers hold him prone. The third eyes Lev and Mel suspiciously.

"You said that he had two companions, one a woman. Are these them?"
-- Bill
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Nonsense," Melchior states. "I'm just a simple shepherd, and she my sister. Do you intend to accuse everyone in this crowd of being thieves then? You've lost all reason, if that's the case. Now leave him be, before I summon the authorities on you for causing all of this trouble," he warns the field workers.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"You heard him, let him go," Levia says, crossing her arms over her chest. "I saw suspicious people within the crowds, but you have the wrong person here. The ones you are looking for all ready backed out."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Meanwile, Alon stands there, looking at the prophet, enraptured. "The column of smoke! I witness the Highest in the form our forefathers did!" he whispers. Goosebumps erupt all over his body, and he can't avert his eyes from the sight. He falls to his knees, his lips moving in silent prayer.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
betaraybill
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by betaraybill »

The fat merchant ponders a moment at what the siblings said, glancing over Mel in particular.

"Yes, they seem to be honest folk."

He glances to the west, and the siblings follow his gaze to see the spears of city guards poking above the crowd, approaching the clearing in the crowd. The merchant smirks.

"It does not appear as if you will need to summon the authorities, shepherd."

At about this time, the siblings become aware that the weather, which had been stifling at the beginning of this day, has become breezy and almost chill.

"Look, the Prophet!" a voice from the crowd gasps.

Mel and Lev, already facing towards the north, see the scene previously described - the grey-haired prophet stands, his hands raised, a pillar of cloud slowly growing between them. The merchant and the field workers spin about the see the sight and are stunned into silence. Shiran appears transfixed, and does not make a move. In that moment the prophet drops his hands quickly from the front and to his sides. The pillar crashes down upon the crowd in a gale of chill, moist wind. The air becomes crisp, all the stench of sweat, anger and fear blown away in an instant.

"Enough!" his voice booms over the whole plaza. Mere moment after Alon had dropped to his knees, the rest of the priests and temple guardians do likewise, with the exception of the High Priest, standing closest to the prophet, and Ashur who boldly remains standing a step away from Alon.

"Stand, Alon." Ashur whispers to the prostrate priest, "The righteous need not fear the wrath of God made manifest in the prophet."

Those people in the crowd nearest to the temple steps scramble to get away. After a few moments, the crowd settles, and the guards resume their movement towards the circle, seen by Mel and Lev only by their spear points standing tall over the heads of the rest.

"I said enough!" the prophet booms a second time, and once again the guards stop.

"Who are these that would fight in the temple plaza? Let them come forward."

"Alright, up with you." The merchant says to Shiran, who slowly raises to his feet.

"Let's go." The merchant commands, snatches Shiran by the arm, and begins to move towards the temple steps.

Shiran throws a glance over his shoulder to Mel and Leve, his eyes wide in alarm. "Help me!" he gasps, but he doesn't struggle against the pull of the merchant.
-- Bill
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"I'm kneeling in respect, not in fear, you fool!" Alon hisses, angry at his friend for disrupting his moment of trance. He does not get up again, not wanting to draw more attention to himself.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Levia stands there in awe for a few moments before they start taking her friend away. "No, wait!" she says as she follows after the group.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Not sure what to do, Melchior goes with Levia, curious as to what exactly her relationship was with this man.