Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Meeting the smugglers

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Meeting the smugglers

Post by Breila »

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, there were serious thundersturms last night and people were discouraged to use computers or electronic equipment to avoid damage from tension spikes)

Reller walks over to a postion close to Geraldine, where he can attack foes coming from either side of the jolly boat. His gestures make clear he's ready to launch a magical attack to anyone threatening his unconscious comrades.

Searos fires two arrows at the man holding the lantern. Both hit, and the man collapses. The lantern's glass parts shatter at it falls, and oil leaks out, leaving a burning trail. "Fool!" Kim shouts, running up the stairs. "I said capture the lantern, not set the ship aflame!" It's doubtful, however, that anyone can hear Kim's hoarse voice over the combat noise.

Brax drags Khchk a little away from the combat scene and binds his wounds.

This leaves Frithoff and Martin paired, Martin dances aroun the man, trying to hit him with his rapier, but fails. He does notice, however, that the man's left hand is missing and that the hook he wears in its place could be almost as dangerous as the bastard sword he is wielding. The nimble jester easily avoids his attacks, however.

Despite Krtk's (unsuccessful) attack on him, the Captain turns to fight Gunter, but his wounds start to make him unprecise. His sword bangs against the mast and he loses his grip on it, so it clatters on deck. Because this alters his movements, Gunter's attack misses him as well.

The smuggler who thought Vee was easy prey pays for this misjudgement, he does not manage to hit her, but she smacks him hard in the chest, breaking ribs destpite the leather armor he wears.

Actions for round 10?

(Rolls for round 9:)
Saving throw of lantern vs. fall: 1d20=3, fail for glass, bare pass for metal

Inititative order for combat:

Krtk, Smuggler 7, Captain and Martin, Vee, Gunter

Initiative rolls:
Captain: 1d10=6
Gunter: 10 (for simplicity, I'll use unmodified initiative rolls)
Krtk: 1d10=3
Martin: 6
Frithoff: 1d10=7
Vee: 1d10=8
Smuggler 7: 1d10=5

Hit and damage for Krtk: 1d20, 1d6=[8], [5]
Hit and damage for smuggler 7: 1d20, 1d6=[12], [4]
Foe choice (1-3 Krtk), Hit and damage for Captain: 1d6, 1d20, 1d8=[5], [1], [5]
Hit and damage Martin: 13 (Brax has left, so Martin is Frithoff's only opponent, so the attack is not from the rear), miss
Hit and damage Vee: 16, 2
Hit and damage Gunter: 1d20=10, miss
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin notes the man's hook-for-a-hand and grins. If he can't be fencing against the captain, this will do almost as nicely.
But two weapons calls for two weapons, and since the plush duck will be ineffective against a helmeted man, he drops it and draws his silk bouquet. The stiletto inside should be a nice surprise for the sailor.

And since swordfights require repartee, he says, as he attacks: "You know, the last hook-handed man I fought had a peg-leg, and an eye patch, too. Said he lost the leg to a shark bite, the hand to a sword fight and the eye to an eyelash -- 'twas his first day with the hook, y'see."

=====================================

1d10-1=4, 1d20+1=16, 1d6+2=6, 1d20-1=6, 1d4+1=2
Rapier: Init=8, to hit=16, dmg=6
Dagger: Init=6, to hit=6 - miss
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Brax stands and moves back alongside Gunter, mace in hand she fights the Captain.

1d10, 1d20+1, 1d6+1=[8], [2, 1], [3, 1] Miss
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
LittleLuna
Peddler
Peddler

Post by LittleLuna »

Vee, as beeing female, has no intention to be a gentleman and stop to hit the smuggler... she swings her staff another time

1d20, 1d6=[13], [2]
I am NOT sweet!
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller is uncertain what to do. He does nothing for this round. (( Does Reller see the fire? ))
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
The_Muffin_Man
Merchant
Merchant

Post by The_Muffin_Man »

Searos glances over at Kim and shrugs non-chalantly. "I guess you should have been a little clearer. I'm not a mind reader, after all. You might be, but I'm just a simple thief."

Do I have a direct line of sight to anybody else outside of combat or am I going to have to wade into combat?
Do YOU know the muffin man?
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The fire is small as yet. Mostly, you will have noticed that the bright light of the lantern is gone, so anyone without infravision only sees what's happening up to 20 feet away. There is the flickering of the flames on the poop deck which Reller certainly can see. Searos, on the other hand, can only make out shifting shadows where Vee and Martin fight with the smugglers.
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Spotting the fire, Reller calls out. "I'll get that! The deck is starting to burn."

(( Next turn, Reller will move to extinguish it with either canvas or his own cloak if possible. ))
The_Muffin_Man
Merchant
Merchant

Post by The_Muffin_Man »

Searos attempts to move up behind the smuggler Vee is fighting, drawing his sword as he does so.
Do YOU know the muffin man?
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Kim sprints up the stairs, picks up the fallen lantern to prevent any further oil from flowing out, then starts to stomp out the smaller flames. Reller runs across the deck and joins Kim, throwing his cloak on the largest patch of fire to smother it. The sailors who last came out of their cabin run across the deck, too, but because they have to weave through the fighting, they're still at the foot of the stairs while the two mages make good progress to keep the ship whole.

Searos throws himself on the smuggler who had attacked Vee and deals him a good blow across the back (3 dmg). Krtk tries to take advantage of the distraction provided by Brax's entry into the fight with the Captain, but again his teeth miss, but just barely this time. The Captain's aim was better or just luckier, his sword manages to find a gap in Brax's armor, cutting into her flesh for 4 dmg. Martin lets a sharp stab with his rapier follow his taunts, it pierces the hooked man's leg for 6 dmg. Gunter swings his sword but hits only air. Vee's staff hits home, dealing another 2 damage to the smuggler.
Frithoff attemtps to retaliate to Martin with both his sword and his hook. Perhaps Martin concentrated too much on the hook, which he can evade, but the sword hits him in the side for 5 dmg. Smuggler 7 slashes around with his sword, caught unawares by suddenly having two opponents, and so doesn't hit anything. Brax has no luck either.

Actions for round #11?

Die rolls for round 10:

Initiative order: Searos, Krtk and Captain Sigurd, Martin, Gunter, Vee, Frithoff, smuggler 7 and Brax

Initiative rolls: Sorry, overlooked that Martin and Brax had rolled initiative, ignore the results below for them. It's (unmodified) Init 4 for Martin and 8 for Brax
Martin, Brax, Gunter: 1d10, 1d10, 1d10=[7], [10], [4]
Searos, Vee, Krtk: 1d10, 1d10, 1d10=[2], [5], [2]
Captain Sigurd, Frithoff, smuggler 7: 1d10, 1d10, 1d10=[2], [8], [8]

Attack and damage for Searos: 1d20=16, hit for 2d4=3 dmg
Attack and damage for Krtk: 1d20=14, bare miss
Attack choice for Captain (1,2: Krtk; 3,4: Gunter, 5,6: Brax): 1d6=6
Attack and damage for Captain: 1d20=14, hit for 1d4=4 dmg
Attack and damage for Martin: 16, hit for 6 dmg
Attack and damage for Gunter: 1d20=6, miss
Attack and damage for Vee: 13, hit for 2 dmg
Attack and damage for Frithoff: 1d20, 1d20-2=[19], [6, -2] hit with sword, miss with hook, 2d4=5 dmg
Attack and damage smuggler 7: 1d20=12, miss
Attack and damage Brax: 3, miss
Attachments
Situation at the end of round 10<br />The red outline shows the area where oil has spilled, but it is not filled with oil and not all of it is in flames. (It's just too difficult to paint individual burning puddles.)
Situation at the end of round 10
The red outline shows the area where oil has spilled, but it is not filled with oil and not all of it is in flames. (It's just too difficult to paint individual burning puddles.)
SeaGhost8.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Grunting in pain Brax brings her mace round in an arc and drives it at the Captains head.

1d10, 1d20+1, 1d6+1=[5], [16, 1], [1, 1]
Init 5, hit AC 3, for 2 damage.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller looks up and readies to cast a spell, but he quickly changes his mind and takes out a dagger. He holds it out in a defense manner for this round. (( this round's action ))
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Grunting at the hit, Martin presses on. No sense letting the smuggler know he's worried. "What, no time for repartee? Fear not. I can prolong this duel for you. I can see you need the practice."

Martin lashes out again with rapier and dagger while keeping his back to the jolly boat. If Frithoff is still standing after this, he plans to withdraw.

1d10-1=2, 1d20+1=19, 1d6+2=3, 1d20-1=17, 1d4+1=3

Initiative = 2
Rapier 19 to hit, 3 dmg
Dagger 17 to hit, 3 dmg
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

While the combat is raging on on the main deck, four smugglers are sprinting up to the poop deck where the spilled oil burns. Seeing Reller's drawn dagger, the leading one stops and signals his comrades to do the same. "Please. Let us save the ship. You've started, I can see. Let us finish." He looks Reller in the eyes, and makes no movement to draw the sword on his belt.

The Captain attempts to strike Brax again, but misses. Gunter brings down his battle axe on him, which finally brings him to his knees. Krtk is on him in an instant, biting his throat. Brax is so carried away that she slashes his chest. Before she can wield again, Gunter holds her arm back. "No, you don't need to do that" he says firmly. "You're in bloodlust, come out of it." He tries to catch her eye, after all, she could attack him next if he didn't manage to get through to her.

Martin manages to hit his opponent twice, but the man is so tough that he's still on his legs. Martin's swift retreat makes sure he isn't hit by the rataliatory strike.

Vee and Searos both hit their opponent, bringing him down.

Geraldine and sailor #1 come round and sit up. Sailor #2 is very relieved and thells them: "We've almost won, I think, but something's on fire over there"

Initiative order: Captain Sigurd, Martin and Gunter, smuggler 7, Krtk, Brax, Frithoff and Vee, Searos

Inititative for Captain, Frithoff, smuggler 7: 1d10, 1d10, 1d10=[1], [7], [3]
Inititative for Martin: 2
Initiative for Brax: 5
Initiative for Searos Vee and Krtk: 1d10, 1d10, 1d10=[8], [7], [3]
Initiative for Gunter: 1d10=2

Foe choice (1,2: Krtk; 3,4: Gunter, 5,6: Brax) for Captain: 1d6=6
Attack roll for Captain: 1d20=11, miss
Attacks and hits for Martin: 19 and 17, two hits for a total of 6 dmg
Attack roll for Gunter: 1d20=18, hit for 1d8+3=6 dmg, Captain falls
Foe choice (1-3 Vee, 4-6 Searos) for '7: 1d6=5, Searos
Attack roll for smuggler7: 1d20=2, miss
Attack roll for Krtk: 1d20=19, hit for 2d4=4 damage
Attack for Brax: Hit for 2 damage
Attack roll for Frithoff: 1d20=13, miss
Attack roll for Vee: 1d20=18, hit for 1d6=4 dmg
Atack roll for Searos: 1d20=19, hit for 2d4=4 dmg, smugler 7 falls
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"What... What?" Brax asks, shaking her head trying to drive the red mist from her eyes. "He is down, I didnt want to kill him.." Pulling herself away from the Ranger Brax kneels before him, trying to stope the flow of blood, using a part of his sleeve to patch up his throat she sighs. "He is gone."

Standing she raises her Mace, her voice ringing clear. "Surrender!"

Borderlands 3 - Navi