Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Time to prepare

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Time to prepare

Post by Robbo »

Gunter nods in agreement with Drake's suggestion.

"That's the best idea I've heard all day...fireplace or out back?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Fireplace, I think. Or rather the hearth. It will be much easier to retrieve the ashes from there" Kristina suggests. "Also, the reaction of Miss Brax to rats is more typical of people than Miss Vee's. Or yours, for that matter" she says gesturing to the group. "And a rat king is seen by many as a bad omen. I don't think anyone would actually feed it. My guess is that there were rats living in this house as long as Serena lived, and they took care of it. When Serena died, there was no longer food in the house, and the rats left."
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Outside would be better, I think. This poor unfortunate and noble creature deserves to have his funerary rites in a clean flame, under shining stars, that he may more easily rise to return to the gods. Not in some dirty fireplace, which may or may not have a properly working flue."

Martin then leans in to Gunter and says, very quietly: "And as a side benefit,we needn't worry about tasting H.R.M.* later on, when we cook in that same hearth, capisce?"

=======================================

*H.R.M. : His Rodential Majesty
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Robbo »

Gunter suppresses an appreciative grin.

"You are wiser than you look, sir. We should honor it with a proper funeral and not like a piece of meat."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Moving back to Gunter, Brax takes his hand. "I perform a service, for Mistress Vee, out of respect for her beliefs." She says with a small bow, "And then we clear the house."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin sketches a small bow, "Thank you, sir, for noticing. But such is oft' the case, for those in my line of work, a fact that few realize, or remember.
"Now what do you think of our chances of clearing a space through these weeds large enough for a fire? I mean a controlled fire. Not one to burn down the whole yard.

"Reller, Kristina - this is your town. Where might we borrow a spade, and beg or buy some firewood?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Myself and Vee will start with the beds." She nudges the young girl, "Come on Mistress Vee."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Kristina smiles at Martin. "Just ask your neighbours" she says. "This is the part of town where the artisans live, they will tell you where you can get things. or help you out lending things. Of course, they expect to get your help in due course, too."
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

"Barter and trade will get you far in this town." Reller admits. "Things are rarely free, however. If the deal is good, I would make sure of the terms before agreeing to them."
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Do not worry overmuch. I know my way around negotiations and swapping of favors - I have spent much of my life around courtiers and diplomats. At this point I can tell a man to go to Hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to the trip.

"It strikes me that it would be far easier were a returning hero of Saltmarsh to do the asking. But we don't have any of those around, on account of some folks being too humble to take on said mantle." Martin waggles his eyebrows at the adventurers for emphasis.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"What exactly are you implying?" Brax asks, giving the jester a patient look, "Are you suggesting we use what respect we have gained to barter?" She frowns, "If we have to, while we are not... Heroes, we will do what we can."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"I am implying, Radiance, that various...perquisites accompany celebrity, not the least of which can be a deep discount from a merchant, or having said merchant outright refuse to take payment. It's not barter - people oft' give freely to a hero simply for the thrill of meeting him, or to be able to later tell their friends: 'See Cohen the Barbarian, there? That's one of my helms he's wearing.' Martin takes care to keep his tone light. He is unsure of the priestess, and wants to remain on her good side, walking the fine line between being helpful and being overbearing.
"I expect it is similar where you come from, except here the currency is adoration rather than fear.
"I suppose we can have a meal from the Spiderweb tonight, but we shall have to cook at some point, I expect. We shall have to see about some food tomorrow. But for tonight, apart from a space, some firewood and some oil, what do we need?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Gunter? Searos?" She asks, "What do you think?"

"And I understand your thoughts master Drake. We need beds, you know that, right now we have none... I am taking the Master bedroom.." she winks at Gunter. "But mattress's will be needed at some point."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Have you got something in your eye, Radiance? I notice you keep closing that one eye. It seems your vision might be impaired as well - you seem to need to be led about by the hand quite often. You might want to get that looked at. But I digress.
"Mattresses it is, then. Under the circumstances, I expect you might have to pay for those. But I believe I can finagle the best possible price for you.
"I also plan to engage the services of a competent locksmith to change the doorlocks on this house. We have no idea who has a copy of that key Gunter is holding, but it matters little who has a key to the locks we remove. Oh! and we can have three locks installed on each door, and lock only two at a time. That way, if someone tries to pick the locks to gain entry, they'll be unlocking two but locking the third. It would drive even the most accomplished thief mad. No? Well, just one, then."
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller suggests with humor. "What about really loud hinges? Then, we would know when anyone opens the door."
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy